Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

unobtainium

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Mar 27, 2011
I recently bought a new second-gen iPad mini. I have noticed the display is extremely dim. I held it up next to my iPhone 6 and saw that my eyes were not deceiving me - the mini is quite a bit dimmer. It's also impossible to use outdoors, even in shade. Is this normal? Is the mini 3 brighter? I love my iPad but this is its biggest drawback for me.

c55

macrumors regular
May 3, 2015
Yes it is dimmer than the iPhone 6. Apple has incorporated better backlight technology in the new iPhone. I am not sure if they did to the Mini 3. I personally don't use my Mini 2 outside so I can't comment on that but indoors it gets very bright.

ron7624

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2011
Houston, Texas area
I recently bought a new second-gen iPad mini. I have noticed the display is extremely dim. I held it up next to my iPhone 6 and saw that my eyes were not deceiving me - the mini is quite a bit dimmer. It's also impossible to use outdoors, even in shade. Is this normal? Is the mini 3 brighter? I love my iPad but this is its biggest drawback for me.

No, it is not normal.
I use mine outdoors in direct sunlight every day while walking to my car after work to check for accidents or hold ups on my way home. It is dim in sunlight, but certainly useable.
Mine is very useable in shade. Yours is defective or you have the brightness on manual and turned way down....

XTheLancerX

macrumors 68000
Aug 20, 2014
NY, USA
Ehh. It's slightly noticeable between my iPhone 6 and mini 2. It seems like there's a gray tint over the whole display of the mini 2 compared to the iPhone 6, making it a bit less bright and a bit less saturated/contrasty. Difference isn't anything major though where brightness is concerned. I'd complain a lot more about the colors if anything.

unobtainium

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Mar 27, 2011
Mine might be defective then, because it's much more than a slight difference. Although I guess that's a subjective judgement. I'll take it to Apple and see what they say. I do have AppleCare+.
Ehh. It's slightly noticeable between my iPhone 6 and mini 2. It seems like there's a gray tint over the whole display of the mini 2 compared to the iPhone 6, making it a bit less bright and a bit less saturated/contrasty. Difference isn't anything major though where brightness is concerned. I'd complain a lot more about the colors if anything.

XTheLancerX

macrumors 68000
Aug 20, 2014
NY, USA
Mine might be defective then, because it's much more than a slight difference. Although I guess that's a subjective judgement. I'll take it to Apple and see what they say. I do have AppleCare+.
Actually, I reevaluated my devices and I can definitely see what you're talking about. I looked at the screens earlier at max brightness in a pretty brightly lit room and saw a slight difference but hardly anything at all. However this time I had both screens cranked all the way up in a very dark room and the difference is much more pronounced. Is this more similar to your experience?

Oh and sorry about the pretty poor photo quality. I had to take the picture with my old iPod touch 5th generation. I'm sure this still works well enough in showing you the difference though.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    737 KB · Views: 117

unobtainium

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Mar 27, 2011
Actually, I reevaluated my devices and I can definitely see what you're talking about. I looked at the screens earlier at max brightness in a pretty brightly lit room and saw a slight difference but hardly anything at all. However this time I had both screens cranked all the way up in a very dark room and the difference is much more pronounced. Is this more similar to your experience?

Oh and sorry about the pretty poor photo quality. I had to take the picture with my old iPod touch 5th generation. I'm sure this still works well enough in showing you the difference though.

Yes, thank you! That's very similar to what I see. I guess it's normal then.
It's not an issue indoors of course, but I find the iPhone 6 much easier to use outside. I was sitting in the shade in my yard the other evening, trying to read on the iPad, but it was difficult to see, whereas the iPhone poses no problem in the shade.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.