iPad mini iPad Mini 4G LTE, or stay home

Discussion in 'iPad' started by aka777, Nov 8, 2012.

1. aka777, Nov 8, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 8, 2012

macrumors 6502a

What do you guys and gals think?

I feel LTE is the way to go for the mini. I had the cellular ipad 1 and loved the portability and not having to establish wifi and all those shenanigans. Just switched it on and the data was there, wherever I was.

I found that I hardly use my smartphone after having a tablet.

2. macrumors 65816

KeepCalmPeople

I think the mini justifies the cellular option more so than the regular iPad, as it is more likely to be taken out and about. If I ever get one, I'll seriously consider LTE.

3. macrumors 6502a

jonfarr

yep

4. macrumors 6502a

Actually, your title should have been:

iPad mini 4G LTE, or stay home ...

:p

5. thread starter macrumors 6502a

Good Idea :D

----------

That's how I feel. MINI with LTE for the road and a wifi normal iPad for the home.

The one thing that makes the choice harder, as in whether to buy a LTE normal iPad, is that the ipad 4 has significantly better specs.

6. macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

I have had 3G iPads since the original, but with the mini I've decided to get the wifi-only model (64GB) and rely on tethering my iPhone 5 (VZW LTE). I use maybe 300MB per month tops on my iPad 3 w/ LTE despite paying $30 per month. I've decided to save the $360/yr. That'll pay for a significant portion of the iPad mini (and the sale of my old iPad 2 paid for the rest).

7. macrumors 68000

pooleman

I disagree. I think the best bang for the buck would be to hotspot using your iPhone and a wifi only mini.

8. thread starter macrumors 6502a

Hotspot constantly on drains your battery and fast. We don't have any widgets like android to switch it on and off rapidly after all.

Not to mention, you have to mess around with establishing the wifi connection, which is time consuming on the go. Granted if you rarely use the device outside a fixed location with wifi, then it's no big deal at all.

Also keep in mind that there isn't a GPS module in the WIFI version.

9. macrumors 6502a

I always choose the cellular model for my ipads, i went to see the mini and i had to pass on it the screen is just too horrible for my taste of course since all my idevices are retina display...
    I hope they will put out a retina display and ill buy the lte model garanteed!

10. thread starter macrumors 6502a

Me too. It's just way too convenient having it and I'd much rather type on an ipad than a smartphone.