Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

EHD80

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 7, 2018

Anyone else noticing this? I’ve seen 4 Mini’s today and they all seem to have some lag on the left side of the screen when scrolling through pages in portrait mode. Especially visible on pages with a lot of text and when scrolling up and down. I’ve also checked every other iPad model and to me it only seems to show on the Mini…

turbineseaplane

macrumors G5
Mar 19, 2008
I really hope that's a software issue (as opposed to them cutting corners on hardware somehow).

Hoping for the former, but with current Apple, the latter won't surprise me.

I need to pop by an Apple store and play with these and form my own first hand opinion.

futurejohn

macrumors newbie
Sep 24, 2021

Anyone else noticing this? I’ve seen 4 Mini’s today and they all seem to have some lag on the left side of the screen when scrolling through pages in portrait mode. Especially visible on pages with a lot of text and when scrolling up and down. I’ve also checked every other iPad model and to me it only seems to show on the Mini…
Yep, I see it on mine. It's hard to unsee now that I noticed it.

Aka757

macrumors member
Sep 22, 2016
Houston
Scrolling definitely doesn’t seem smooth me. might just be because I’m used to the promotion display on my 2018 iPad Pro (bringing up the screen with all the open apps looks really janky). Horizontal scrolling seems worse to me for some reason.

rednocturne

macrumors newbie
Jan 23, 2012
Oddly enough, my iPad Air does this as well, but only in landscape. I’ve never noticed it until I just checked it. Must be an LCD thing?

iscajal

macrumors member
Apr 10, 2015
Seeing the same on the new mini 6. I thought it felt off compared to other 60hz ios devices like smaller iphone screens; the iphone 12 pro max oled feels smoother despite having the same refresh rate.

Sensation when scrolling horizontally in landscape mode is especially jarring, e.g. app switcher.

This feels like it needs a second gen release to truly shine, but maybe im just spoiled coming from a ipad 11 pro screen.

netnothing

macrumors 68040
Mar 13, 2007
NH
Not seeing it. Is there something that needs to done to get it to do this? I went to the verge even and I’m not seeing it.

Is everyone up to date with the latest iPadOS 15?

Not seeing it at all, tried going to the verge and such but nothing.

I can’t seem to get it to do this either..?

Not sure you should be concerned. Be thankful if you can’t see it. Because once you do, you can’t unsee it!!

imdog

macrumors 6502
Jun 20, 2017
Disneyland

Add a Poll to the thread asking people if their iPad mini 6 has it pls

jdb8167

macrumors 601
Nov 17, 2008
I have Jelly Effect on my iPad Mini 6. I'm returning it tomorrow to hopefully get one without. It feels just wrong to see text wobble like that when I scroll up and down.

Horisontal is no problem, but vertical makes that weird shift in the line.

Here's a link to a tester where you can compare vertical and horisontal.
I can see it in that test. Slight wobbling but only in portrait.

Edit: I take it back. I can see it when in landscape with the horizontal scroll too. Which makes sense since it is the same as vertical in portrait.

Reactions: ScanTheNavian

taneff

macrumors 6502
Nov 1, 2019
I haven't noticed anything while scrolling. Am I just blind or is it not on every device?

Mine has a loose power button but everything else is perfect. How can you tell? Scrolling seems normal here.

Don't really understand the test though. What should I be seeing with these black bars and white lines scrolling sideways.

ScanTheNavian

macrumors regular
Nov 14, 2020
I haven't noticed anything while scrolling. Am I just blind or is it not on every device?

Mine has a loose power button but everything else is perfect. How can you tell? Scrolling seems normal here.
Might just be on some devices, which gives me hope that I can swap to a non faulty one.

taneff

macrumors 6502
Nov 1, 2019
How does the test work? What should I be seeing if I have jelly scrolling? I see those white bars moving?

jdb8167

macrumors 601
Nov 17, 2008
How does the test work? What should I be seeing if I have jelly scrolling? I see those white bars moving?
The bars should seem perpendicular. I see the bars wobbling in the vertical test in portrait. The test makes it pretty obvious but I don’t see it with normal use though I’m convinced it is there now.

Reactions: taneff

taneff

macrumors 6502
Nov 1, 2019
Ok, maybe I have it too, but not something I can see right away with the test. Will try it again tomorrow with "fresh eyes". Bars seem almost straight all the time. If it is there it is not an issue atm.

Thx.

ScanTheNavian

macrumors regular
Nov 14, 2020
Ok, maybe I have it too, but not something I can see right away with the test. Will try it again tomorrow with "fresh eyes". Bars seem almost straight all the time. If it is there it is not an issue atm.

Thx.
To me it's very obvious when I have lots of text that I scroll down on, it's like everything tilts to the right. And when I scroll up everything tilts to the left. Really annoying and not something I want to experience on my $900 device.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.