Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

siurpeeman

macrumors 603
Dec 2, 2006
the OC
I've used Talkatone to place calls (via Google Voice) on my iPad Mini and it worked with no problems

while i like it for placing calls, i just find it extremely spotty for incoming calls. it has to run in the background all the time (draining batter), and still i end up missing more calls than receiving them.

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
I haven't tried all VOIP software but of what I have used, inbound is always a bit of a problem. If someone has a high dependency on answering inbound calls when they are made, this solution may not be right for you.

In my own case, I don't have that dependency. I usually just let calls go to voice mail which is then immediately forwarded to me as an email. When I see it's actually someone I know (not telemarketers, pollsters, etc), I can VOIP outbound call them right back immediately (or at my convenience). I've found Skype with the $30/yr subscription to be able to call any land line of mobile number yields an excellent outbound call quality through non-phone devices. People sometimes comment how clear the call is and are surprised that I'm calling through my laptop (or soon this Mini)... usually via someone's free wifi.

So generally, if inbound answering of live calls is very important to you, I'd think twice about a non-cell phone solution. If your calls are few and/or voice mail + call back can work for you, replacing a cell phone with a Mini LTE can save you $1000+/yr. I've got by just fine for many years using a laptop + ($30/yr) Skype (and a cheap MiFi plan in "need to call now" emergencies). For my situation (which is relatively limited in terms of on-the-go communications needs), $30/yr is a HUGE win vs. $1200+ per year going to AT&T, Verizon or others.

I look forward to the more portable Mini becoming the main device for this application for me. Mini + Skype app + free wifi should cover about 90% of my own calling needs. Occasional activation of LTE/3G when I really need some internet or I really need to make a call and can't find some free wifi will cover the other 10% of the time. No more carrying the MiFi and it's charger. And sometimes, I won't need to lug along the laptop and it's accessories either.

Last edited:

jasonbond

macrumors newbie
Dec 29, 2011
here's how to do it

Download: PHONE for google talk/voice (<--yes thats the name of the app) or talkatone app (also download google voice app its better/faster for receiving text)
Port your mobile number $20 one time charge from google (now you can keep same number)
get tmobile sim from tmobile site or walmart ONLY it gives you a $30 plan 100 min unlimited text and 5GB data
You will only be using the data 5GB the calls and text will be unlimited and free since you will be using the apps

It cost 99 cents from tmobile for the sim card ( you will need to cut the sim to make it nano sim) buy a nano sim cutter amazon about $5

I have Verizin LTE ipad mini and very happy with it. You can have option to get LTE service if you need more data $30 4GB plan is cool ( you need to call them for this ipad plan)

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.