Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wordoflife

macrumors 604
Jul 6, 2009
You get a better user experience, better warranty, better support, better product, Apple Stores all over the world that will help you with your issues, etc...

palpatine

macrumors 68040
May 3, 2011
Somehow we don't see the same thing with restaurants and people yelling out "A $20 meal costs $8 in ingredients for margin of 60%!!" but yet that's what we see with Apple specifically.

We do. That's why you see people on Yelp say restaurant X is a better deal than restaurant Y. I would say the industries are entirely different, though. When was the last time you could have made an iPad at home, but decided to go outside, and pay a little bit more so that you could enjoy the Apple Store ambience?

The ingredients matter here, because we want to know how these things get priced. Knowing this tells us just how much or how little companies are planning to make off of the devices themselves. We've discovered that Google and Amazon are apparently not planning to make anything off of them, while Apple is. So, as said before, it highlights the two different business models. I don't know which one will "win" out (they both seem to be doing pretty well), but it is interesting to see Apple come late to the game with an under-spec'd product in a crowded niche. This isn't something we have seen Apple do much before, and I wonder how they will fare.

DJinTX

macrumors 6502a
Sep 15, 2010
Yeah. They're only making about $141 off of each one. It must be tough. I shed a tear every time I think about it. So, the question is, why go into a market that has better devices (better displays, processors, and more RAM) for about $130 less than the price of your product? It seems like a bad idea to me. Now, if they could take that nearly 50% profit, lower it a bit, and put a Retina display into the device, then we are talking about a competitive product (in my opinion). I wonder how much more an A6x processor, 1GB RAM, and a Retina display would have cost?

Additionally, the price would increase in making a larger (deeper) casing for the larger battery to power the retina display. One thing is for sure, it would be a very different product (heavier, thicker) and much more expensive. People would of course still buy it by the boatload, but I know I wouldn't be able to afford it. SO I'm glad for the non-retina.

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
Making profits for R&D and ads and human resources, etc, are all important, no doubt.

But don't forget also that Apple is sitting on a bank of $90-100+ billion dollars. :eek:

Rodster

macrumors 68040
May 15, 2007
Making profits for R&D and ads and human resources, etc, are all important, no doubt.

But don't forget also that Apple is sitting on a bank of $90-100+ billion dollars. :eek:

And they will need every bit of that $100 billion if they don't innovate and bring out new and innovative products. Apple post Jobs has been suffering from sequel-itis.

jmpnop

macrumors 6502a
Aug 8, 2010
Keep in mind they spend a billion more on R&D. I know thats a sunk cost but it is something to also consider.

Those margins are for the base-model iPad mini. They make a lot more on 32GB and 64GB models for they freakin charge $100 for additional storage which costs them less than $20.

children

macrumors regular
Dec 22, 2008
Those margins are for the base-model iPad mini. They make a lot more on 32GB and 64GB models for they freakin charge $100 for additional storage which costs them less than $20.

Not to mention the LTE versions..

DVK916

macrumors regular
Jan 5, 2006
LOL the IPad cost $316 to build but apple charges $499, the iPhone 5 cost 188 but apple charges $650, while the Ipad Mini cost 188 and apple charges $329.

Only apple could get way with such prices.

Rodster

macrumors 68040
May 15, 2007
LOL the IPad cost $316 to build but apple charges $499, the iPhone 5 cost 188 but apple charges $650, while the Ipad Mini cost 188 and apple charges $329.

Only apple could get way with such prices.

And they only get away with it because people keep buying them. ;)

WilliamLondon

macrumors 68000
Dec 8, 2006
People always think the price is just about the cost of materials. There is so much more factored into the cost of the device...marketing, research and development, they had to not only pay suppliers to manufacture their products but also upgrade their facilities as well. Other companies are breaking even and taking a loss in some cases hoping people will buy content and advertising to make up the difference.

Exactly, well said. Also, they've got a brand to manage, with certain expectations and they can't all of a sudden start acting like a discount or commodity manufacturer - that would have brand perception consequences.

There is also a big concept (I've only taken a short course on it, some study this stuff in much more depth and know it very very well) people misunderstand called pricing. Do you want to sell 1M widgets at $1 or 1 widget at $1M - there is no right answer, it depends on your business model and profit strategy.

Apple does very well at doing things the way they do them - there are reasons they have made the decisions they have made, and I find it hysterical to see all these armchair business consultants questioning the decisions of the world's most valuable company. If I were Apple I'd think, "the audacity of these people!"

Noisemaker

Mar 13, 2009
Yeah. They're only making about $141 off of each one. It must be tough. I shed a tear every time I think about it. So, the question is, why go into a market that has better devices (better displays, processors, and more RAM) for about $130 less than the price of your product? It seems like a bad idea to me. Now, if they could take that nearly 50% profit, lower it a bit, and put a Retina display into the device, then we are talking about a competitive product (in my opinion). I wonder how much more an A6x processor, 1GB RAM, and a Retina display would have cost?

As smart as you think you are, a company actually requires income to continue running.

If you notice, all the low end tablets are sold at cost, in desperate attempts from companies trying to get a market share. They attempt to make this work by sticking ads and such into the OS.

If you'd rather take cheap with ads over a quality OS and device experience, be my guess. But don't spread your idiotic view of everything being at cost. Businesses need money to run, and Apple isn't going to just destroy all their profit because you're too broke to afford $329. :rolleyes:

CWallace

macrumors G5
Aug 17, 2007
Seattle, WA
Great but "it's a new economy" was the refrain used by the dot.com era folks that thought they could sustain a business without profits. Well that's easy when you're burning through Venture Capital money. Amazon's got the harder path IMO because I don't need a Kindle HD to shop at Amazon (I'm already a Prime user)

And Amazon is fortunate that Wall Street keeps treating them like a start-up and forgives them for making low to no profits quarter after quarter on margins slimmer than the edge of a piece of paper.

Apple, meanwhile, continues to set records quarter after quarter, but because The Street expects even more, screams "miss!" and the stock drops 10%. :rolleyes:

I found this article in Slate an interesting read.

nuckinfutz

macrumors 603
Jul 3, 2002
Middle Earth
And Amazon is fortunate that Wall Street keeps treating them like a start-up and forgives them for making low to no profits quarter after quarter on margins slimmer than the edge of a piece of paper.

Apple, meanwhile, continues to set records quarter after quarter, but because The Street expects even more, screams "miss!" and the stock drops 10%. :rolleyes:

QFT!

Apple misses some lofty "expectations" by analysts and their stock drops. Amazon and, to a lesser extent, Google miss their numbers and Wall Streets yawns.

xVeinx

macrumors 6502
Oct 9, 2006
California
Apple's business model is to make their money off of the hardware. iTunes was always run under the premise that any money made was simply a bonus. The amount that Apple make's from iTunes is minuscule, only returning a profit after several years of existence (it always broke even however). The media companies drive hard bargains to make as much as possible, and Apple worked hard to make the media affordable. In the early 2000s, people were downloading music constantly from places like Audiogalaxy, etc. and the media companies were intent on recovering the money they lost. The fact that you can buy an Mp3 for $1 is a direct result of Apple's bargaining, else prices would be much more than that, frankly. There are plenty of business models and ways to make money. The unfortunate reality is that Apple cannot make both media and hardware dirt cheap. Amazon can because they make money through other avenues that they use to supplement the loss leaders in other product areas (such as EC2). It all comes down to perceived value, and I think for most of us-regardless of a desire for more specs/features/whatever-that value has been rather high.

palpatine

macrumors 68040
May 3, 2011
As smart as you think you are, a company actually requires income to continue running.

If you notice, all the low end tablets are sold at cost, in desperate attempts from companies trying to get a market share. They attempt to make this work by sticking ads and such into the OS.

If you'd rather take cheap with ads over a quality OS and device experience, be my guess. But don't spread your idiotic view of everything being at cost. Businesses need money to run, and Apple isn't going to just destroy all their profit because you're too broke to afford $329. :rolleyes:

My idiotic view... that some of the leading companies in our lifetime are taking! I don't remember saying that Apple ought to sell at cost. I do remember, though, saying that we are seeing two business models being tested here. I don't know how it is going to turn out, but my guess is that Apple's approach to the Mini (under-spec'd and over-priced) won't yield very impressive results.

Noisemaker

Mar 13, 2009
My idiotic view... that some of the leading companies in our lifetime are taking! I don't remember saying that Apple ought to sell at cost. I do remember, though, saying that we are seeing two business models being tested here. I don't know how it is going to turn out, but my guess is that Apple's approach to the Mini (under-spec'd and over-priced) won't yield very impressive results.

Sold out stores will disagree with you. Because the reality here is that only the spec-obsessed nerds that frequent forums like this one care. For the average consumer, they want something easy to use and that they don't have to mess with. The Mini provides that at less cost than a full size iPad, hence the sales that we're seeing on it.

Apple sold out of the white Mini in 17 minutes. Apple stores ran out of stock within two hours on launch day, and saw lines larger than those for most product launches.

You're welcome to come back and eat crow once sales figures are announced though. :)

armandxp

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2010
Orlando, FL
The funny this is, I don't care how much it cost to make. Because, I could not have made it, and enjoyed it, if I had to make it myself. And it would have cost me a hell of a lot more to make! Do people really not get this?

smiddlehurst

macrumors 65816
Jun 5, 2007
And they will need every bit of that $100 billion if they don't innovate and bring out new and innovative products. Apple post Jobs has been suffering from sequel-itis.

What a load of utter tosh. Let's see here, post Jobs we've had:

A retina-equipped iPad setting a new standard in tablets that we're only now seeing the competition even begin to catch up to (just in time for Apple to shift performance on again too).
An iPad Mini that defines a new product category for Apple and introduces a whole new form factor (possibly a hint as to future iPad design).
A completely new 15" Macbook Pro with Retina display that sits comfortably at the top of the laptop pile.
A completely new 13" Macbook Pro with Retina display that brings that same wonderful screen to something closer to the mass market (though both rMBP models are really signposts to the future as far as mass sales are concerned)
A totally new iMac which initial reactions suggest is going to be extremely popular.
And of course brand new iPhone, iPod Touch and iPod Nano design.

At least three of those were 'innovative' products in terms of moving the respective sectors on thanks to Retina displays. The rest may retain the same design language as their predecessors but in every case take it in really interesting directions and delivering devices that set new standards in one way or another.

I am so sick and tired of hearing this nonsense about Apple not being innovative. If you want a brand new product in a brand new market every year that is NEVER going to happen and Apple would be idiotic to even try. Apple under Jobs, in the 14 years between him taking over in July 1997 and resigning in August 2011 released two, just two, new products that would fit that definition:

1) the iPod
2) the iPhone

That's it. The rest of the line would be a 'sequel' to existing desktops, laptops, iPod's or the iPhone. So please, how's about we drop this (frankly distasteful) meme of 'Jobs would / wouldn't have done this!' and return to reality...

Kashsystems

macrumors 6502
Jul 23, 2012

The other thing that is not mention is part of the reasons why the loses are so high is because Amazon invests their profits into R & D and cloud infrastructure.

In the bigger picture how many websites and services rely on Amazon's S3 and other services vs other companies. It is the things behind the scenes the normal consumer does not see nor care about that Amazon is building.

xofruitcake

macrumors 6502a
Mar 15, 2012

heh heh, I take that you are not a stock investor and cannot figure out the cost of developing a product. This is what Peter Oppenheimer said about Ipad mini margin in the earning conference call Q&A. In the Samsung San Jose Trial, court document showed that Apple made 23% -32% GROSS margin between Sept 11 and March 12. The base Ipad mini will be lucky to have 15-20% gross margin... When you play the role of product manager, it helps to know something about how much it cost to build a product. If you want to complain about Apple high gross margin, complaint about the Iphone one, not Ipad...

http://www.morningstar.com/earnings/earnings-call-transcript.aspx?t=AAPL

The iPad Mini has the full iPad experience and we priced it aggressively at $329, delivering incredible value to our customers. Its gross margin is significantly below the corporate average. So, in summary, we expect our gross margin to decline by about 400 basis points sequentially

http://elitedaily.com/elite/2012/apples-iphone-margins-hit-58-percent-double-ipads/

Although Apple’s iPad stole the show in the company’s latest earnings report, its iPhone is the breadwinner. Between April 2010 and March 2012, Apple was able to secure gross margins of 49 percent to 58 percent on U.S. iPhone sales, according to Reuters, which obtained the data from court documents unsealed yesterday and filed in the U.S. District Court for the Northern District of California.

Apple’s iPad, on the other hand, generated gross margins of 23 percent to 32 percent between October 2010 and March 2012.

palpatine

macrumors 68040
May 3, 2011
heh heh, I take that you are not a stock investor and cannot figure out the cost of developing a product. This is what Peter Oppenheimer said about Ipad mini margin in the earning conference call Q&A. In the Samsung San Jose Trial, court document showed that Apple made 23% -32% GROSS margin between Sept 11 and March 12. The base Ipad mini will be lucky to have 15-20% gross margin... When you play the role of product manager, it helps to know something about how much it cost to build a product. If you want to complain about Apple high gross margin, complaint about the Iphone one, not Ipad...

http://www.morningstar.com/earnings/earnings-call-transcript.aspx?t=AAPL

The iPad Mini has the full iPad experience and we priced it aggressively at $329, delivering incredible value to our customers. Its gross margin is significantly below the corporate average. So, in summary, we expect our gross margin to decline by about 400 basis points sequentially

http://elitedaily.com/elite/2012/apples-iphone-margins-hit-58-percent-double-ipads/

Although Apple’s iPad stole the show in the company’s latest earnings report, its iPhone is the breadwinner. Between April 2010 and March 2012, Apple was able to secure gross margins of 49 percent to 58 percent on U.S. iPhone sales, according to Reuters, which obtained the data from court documents unsealed yesterday and filed in the U.S. District Court for the Northern District of California.

Apple’s iPad, on the other hand, generated gross margins of 23 percent to 32 percent between October 2010 and March 2012.

That's a lot of helpful information. Thanks!

I still don't see the iPad Mini as a "value," speaking from a consumer's perspective, but if this is the best they can do, then it's the best they can do. In the end, I consider the screen to be one of the most important elements, and without a retina screen (or at least something better than the N7), I don't see any point in buying the Mini. Maybe they spent too much on the case and too little on the screen then.

In the end, this is the downside of Apple's strategy. Getting profits out of hardware on the front end means they need to hit it out of the park every time, but for Amazon, they can afford a bad quarter or two with Kindle sales, because the Kindle app is everywhere (along with movies and everything else). I don't know which approach is better, but I think I'd bet on Amazon (maybe Google) going forward.

Rodster

macrumors 68040
May 15, 2007
What a load of utter tosh. Let's see here, post Jobs we've had:

A retina-equipped iPad setting a new standard in tablets that we're only now seeing the competition even begin to catch up to (just in time for Apple to shift performance on again too).
An iPad Mini that defines a new product category for Apple and introduces a whole new form factor (possibly a hint as to future iPad design).
A completely new 15" Macbook Pro with Retina display that sits comfortably at the top of the laptop pile.
A completely new 13" Macbook Pro with Retina display that brings that same wonderful screen to something closer to the mass market (though both rMBP models are really signposts to the future as far as mass sales are concerned)
A totally new iMac which initial reactions suggest is going to be extremely popular.
And of course brand new iPhone, iPod Touch and iPod Nano design.

At least three of those were 'innovative' products in terms of moving the respective sectors on thanks to Retina displays. The rest may retain the same design language as their predecessors but in every case take it in really interesting directions and delivering devices that set new standards in one way or another.

I am so sick and tired of hearing this nonsense about Apple not being innovative. If you want a brand new product in a brand new market every year that is NEVER going to happen and Apple would be idiotic to even try. Apple under Jobs, in the 14 years between him taking over in July 1997 and resigning in August 2011 released two, just two, new products that would fit that definition:

1) the iPod
2) the iPhone

That's it. The rest of the line would be a 'sequel' to existing desktops, laptops, iPod's or the iPhone. So please, how's about we drop this (frankly distasteful) meme of 'Jobs would / wouldn't have done this!' and return to reality...

That's all refinement of existing products. I'm talking about an all-new product like when the iPhone was released and shook up the market. Gotta love how people confuse refinement with innovation.

Spungoflex

macrumors 6502
Oct 30, 2012
Or, will they spend the extra money and go with Apple, because... they don't mind spending more money for less?

Less screen, less attention to detail, less access to great applications, and a whole lot less fun. Sounds like the N7 to me.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.