Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

terminator-jq

macrumors 6502a
Nov 25, 2012
The screen on the new iPad Pro 9.7 is very nice and it’s definitely better than my iPad air 2.

Just wait until there is more content graded for the DCI-P3 color gamut, then you'll really see what it can do (which won't be long since DCI color is heavily pushed in the new 4K UHD media standards). Right now Apple is actually ahead of the game since the industry is still transitioning from the old Rec. 709 color standard. So in plain english, the best is yet to come.

It will be interesting to see if Apple gives the wider color gamut and True tone to the new iPhone and Macbook models.

Macalway

macrumors 68040
Aug 7, 2013
I think i'm going to sell my Air2. I'm a sucker for the nicer screen (delusion?). :)

Last edited:

uwdude

macrumors 6502a
Jul 16, 2014
I agree, I'm just getting to look at it now, I was at Disney all day and missed the delivery. I'm really impressed with this, it's nicer than the air 2.

A couple of things, my T-Mobile model is using the embedded Apple sim- I pulled out the sim tray and there was nothing in it, but it's connected to the T-Mo network. This is really cool.

The screen has this super super silky smooth surface to it, either that or it's the glass itself that is that way, but I'm guessing it's whatever coating they put on so it produces less glare. I can't seem to put a fingerprint on it, it's too smooth, it feels like the sapphire button does. Nothing shows on it, and it feels like your fingers are running across silk or something. Very different from my Air 2 screen, which smudges with every touch. This is something completely new.

When you set it up, the iPad will give you the option to turn off True Tone, and also there's a button that instantly lets you see what that screen looks like without True Tone. Already can't live without it, lol.

Also as far as I can tell, they fixed the issue where pixels would discolor if you press on the back on the right side. I pressed fairly hard and you can no longer see indentions in the screen from behind. For some reason, this just feels more solid than the Air 2, maybe it's just my imagination.

TrueBlou

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2014
Scotland
The screen on the new iPad Pro 9.7 is very nice and it’s definitely better than my iPad air 2.

Bloody iSheep, don't you know it's overpriced junk. It must be, people here say so :rolleyes:

Kidding aside, I'm hoping the True Tone display makes it to the next 12.9" Pro, which it probably will.

uwdude

macrumors 6502a
Jul 16, 2014
Here's a pic of the back- the logo is a mirror finish, the wavy is my ceiling reflecting in it. The logo itself feels different too, not like metal, weird. I still can't put a fingerprint on it after typing all this.

image.jpeg

Reactions: jbachandouris

augustya

Suspended
Feb 17, 2012
Here is a side by side comparison between the 9.7 with true tone enabled and the 12.9

Your smaller 9.7" iPad Pro how the screen is ? without the True Tone Display enabled ? is it still warmer and yellowish ? with True Tone diabled?

auero

macrumors 65816
Sep 15, 2006
Here is a side by side comparison between the 9.7 with true tone enabled and the 12.9

At first I was envious of True Tone on the new Pro, but I don't think it's a feature I would enjoy. Thankfully, you can turn it off if you don't like it.

stulaw11

Suspended
Jan 25, 2012
Whites don't look whiter on it. Looks yellow to me. How is that better again?

That's not how it works. When you are in a room with say a yellow-ish bulb the white paper takes on some of the yellow color from the light around you. That is what true tone does.

This is just an extreme example of that; it typically wont be that yellow.

Reactions: tarasis

cardfan

macrumors 601
Mar 23, 2012
What's especially clever, though, is the new True Tone system. It uses two ambient light sensors to detect the color temperature of the environment around you, and then adjusts the iPad Pro's display to match that temperature, making whites look really, naturally, white.

If you've ever seen pictures of a screen that looked too blue or too yellow, then this fixes that. It makes a screen look more like paper, and it makes my inner artist deliriously happy. I hope this goes everywhere. Hell, I hope it can sync to my TV one day...

From iMore... The white didn't look really naturally white to me. Perhaps you have to be in the room and the pic isn't doing it justice... I suppose my question to those who got delivery already, does true tone live up to what Rene claims?

Booloo

macrumors regular
Mar 18, 2012
Most people are accustomed to extreme cool and blue color temperatures as the norm for whites. I blame TV manufactures demoing so many displays on vivid mode where the colors pop but are very inaccurate.

When going back and forth from turning True Tone on and off, to me the whites were too cool and blue when off. But then when I compared it off next to a 12.9" IPP they seem pretty much the same when it's off.

I only spent a little time with True Tone but it seems like a feature I would rather have on than off. I just wish in addition to the feature Apple gave use some manual temperature control to the displays such as a television.

kupkakez

macrumors 68020
Apr 4, 2011
Austin, TX
Yep, hard to appreciate something like this out of context. I'm sure most will love it when they see it in person.

I agree. When they first announced that feature I just figured meh I'll probably turn it off. When I was setting up my iPad and saw the option I actually really liked it and have it enabled. It's definitely one of those things you need to see in person to gauge if you like it or not.

I am thankful there is an option to turn it off should you ultimately decide you don't like it.

Reactions: baypharm
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.