Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Precision Gem

macrumors 6502
Jun 3, 2015
USA
I never thought a touch screen on my Mac's would be useful at all, nor do I think some hybrid mix of OS X and IOS make sense. To me, they are different products, used in different ways, and I like it that way.

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
They already went half way with the hardware. Why not go all in with software? I don't expect Apple to ever be first anymore. Just better. We all do.

Except you said "think different". Trying to use a mobile OS to supplant laptops is thinking different. A Pro iPad is a great thing. It might not be what you want, but it meets the need of a lot of people.

They still make Macs for people who need more.

macfoxpro

macrumors 6502
May 17, 2011
USA
macbook air or Pro. Its really a universe of difference. I worked with both systems, now I prefer all Macs and iOS only. You are saving yourself tremendous amount of time and efficiency

My point is that a Suface Pro is indeed a laptop. Lol

scaramoosh

macrumors 6502a
Nov 30, 2014
Why do you think OS X would be good with a touch screen?

People always say that like Software can never change, did Microsoft never do the same thing to Windows? Oh but Apple never does something until they've got it right.... what about the first iPad? Apple Watch, the iPhone was crap for the first few years, the new Macbook hardly got it right the first time either. They do something, wait for the feedback and then iterate on it like all the others.

Besides people say Windows sucks for touch, yet I'm using it right now and it's perfectly fine, especially with a stylus which I love using.

Reactions: Hamado

QquegChristian

macrumors 6502
Jun 24, 2010
People always say that like Software can never change, did Microsoft never do the same thing to Windows? Oh but Apple never does something until they've got it right.... what about the first iPad? Apple Watch, the iPhone was crap for the first few years, the new Macbook hardly got it right the first time either. They do something, wait for the feedback and then iterate on it like all the others.

Besides people say Windows sucks for touch, yet I'm using it right now and it's perfectly fine, especially with a stylus which I love using.

I just can't see Apple avoiding touch on OS X much longer. They are all-in on touch on every other device. Kids are growing up without having ever used a screen that wasn't touch.

If it can never work on a giant iMac, who was the genius who thought it could work on my 1-inch Apple Watch?

StoneJack

macrumors 68020
Dec 19, 2009
I just can't see Apple avoiding touch on OS X much longer. They are all-in on touch on every other device. Kids are growing up without having ever used a screen that wasn't touch.

If it can never work on a giant iMac, who was the genius who thought it could work on my 1-inch Apple Watch?

It won't be touch on OS X. iPad (Pro) and iPhones will connect to Mac so you can use their touch ability.

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012

Microsoft worked for years before we saw it and then it wasn't even done when they first released it. OS X has far too many issues to be made touch any time soon.

If they made OS X touch, they'd have to change almost everything about it. Then there would be no programs for it and people would complain about that.

QquegChristian

macrumors 6502
Jun 24, 2010
Microsoft worked for years before we saw it and then it wasn't even done when they first released it. OS X has far too many issues to be made touch any time soon.

If they made OS X touch, they'd have to change almost everything about it. Then there would be no programs for it and people would complain about that.

This is why the Surface Pro comes with a pen. The pen is a direct replacement for a mouse. It can hover above the screen just like a mouse. It can tap and double tap in place of clicks. It has a right click button on the side. It's a precise input tool that is FAR closer to a mouse than touch. I prefer the pen to touchpads.

Now that Apple has the Pencil, it isn't about making everything big and touchable in OS X. That isn't necessary to support the Pencil.

Everybody sees the Surface as a very mediocre touch tablet... Start looking at it as a pen tablet.

iOS is great that it was built from the ground up to not need an input as precise, but the power of a full OS is worth using a pen until (or if) iOS eventually puts OS X and Windows out to pasture. I think that's inevitable, but it sure is taking its time.

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
This is why the Surface Pro comes with a pen. The pen is a direct replacement for a mouse. It can hover above the screen just like a mouse. It can tap and double tap in place of clicks. It has a right click button on the side. It's a precise input tool that is FAR closer to a mouse than touch. I prefer the pen to touchpads.

Now that Apple has the Pencil, it isn't about making everything big and touchable in OS X. That isn't necessary to support the Pencil.

Everybody sees the Surface as a very mediocre touch tablet... Start looking at it as a pen tablet.

iOS is great that it was built from the ground up to not need an input as precise, but the power of a full OS is worth using a pen until (or if) iOS eventually puts OS X and Windows out to pasture. I think that's inevitable, but it sure is taking its time.

No, that isn't why Microsoft includes a pen with the Surface.

Jordan Qato

macrumors newbie
Nov 22, 2015
It's just infuriating to me that the left-handed Serenity Caldwell decided to have her video shot from over her left shoulder.

citysnaps

macrumors G4
Oct 10, 2011
Why does it have to be the current OSX? Don't you think Apple with all of its resources could adapt the OS for touch? I guess you're don't "think different."

Of course Apple could and would be easy. But they as well as many others know that would be a dumb thing to do.

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
Yeah, just like a bigger iPhone, a smaller iPad, and a stylus, I mean pencil. Never say never.

People only bring up the stylus because they don't seem to understand context. As for a bigger iPhone and smaller iPad, those weren't huge changes like making OS X touch friendly would be. It also isn't solving a problem.

springsup

macrumors 65816
Feb 14, 2013
Apple has made it clear that their vision for tablet computing is limited to mobile devices, essentially PDA's, and they have no greater vision of how creative people & professionals will work more efficiently going forward into the future. ...or they can see it, but have decided that like every other area of the once thriving "pro" product line, it's not worth the investment. They'd rather sell short lifecycle watches and phones and cars to teenagers with disposable income.

And so, it falls upon, of all companies, Microsoft, to grab the baton and make the bigger strides pushing computing forward again. ...and we know how that goes.

This will be the biggest missed opportunity for Apple to lead of Cooks career.

Why are you waiting for Apple to tell you how to work? They're making the tools available.

You seem to think that Apple should be dictated to put OSX on these devices because Adobe Photoshop already runs on that OS. The iOS system is just as powerful as the Mac; it has the same frameworks, which have seen much-needed improvements and modernisation as a result of investment in iOS.

There is already plenty of high-quality productivity software on iOS; as good as the Mac in many cases. This sounds awfully like the Windows people with XP - insisting it be supported for ever and ever for "compatibility". Now Adobe get to make us dependent on OSX, even on our sleek modern iPads, for "compatibility"? No. Apple won't play that game. Adobe will come to iOS, or other developers will take their place. Apple is strong enough to do that.

Look at Procreate, look at Pixelmator, look at Microsoft Office even!, look at Autodesk Graphic (formerly iDraw), look at Coda and everything by The Omni Group, not to mention iWork or any of the iLife apps. iOS is a first-tier platform; it's no kiddy-OS. It has a different model of app sandboxing compared to desktop OSes, which is why it is safer than any desktop OS. Outside of sandboxing, it is every bit as powerful as a Mac or Windows PC.

People who don't understand that are stuck in 2001. They don't even know why the iPhone was such a revolution. They don't understand why RIM was so shocked at the iPhone. The common core with OSX was the reason - this was software miles ahead of anything they'd been doing.

There is nothing about the iPad itself which is holding back productivity apps. Shifts in business dynamics (e.g. Collapse in boxed software sales, rise of micros transactions and subscriptions) could be a factor, along with a lack of demand from customers. The iPad is the one place where things are actually happening with tablet productivity. It's the place where that next-gen software is most likely to spring up.

Reactions: citysnaps

springsup

macrumors 65816
Feb 14, 2013

It doesn't work on the watch, that's why there's the Digital Crown.

I have an Apple Watch, and use of the touchscreen is pretty rare. I use it for swiping 'back'. That's about it.

niun

macrumors 6502a
Mar 31, 2015
The iOS system is just as powerful as the Mac

It is still wholly reliant on a Mac with the latest OS X, xCode and a $99 Dev account - not to mention jumping through Apple hoops - for native apps. Oh and those apps had better work on previous iOS and all devices with all the different specs to generate enough cash to make it worthwhile so compatibility is already thrown into the mix.

It would take a company like Adobe to create Photoshop CC for iOS. Like MS they're the only players big enough to pull it off for such a niche market with a subscription model that stretches to desktop.
If Adobe with all their clout don't think it's worth it then who else is going to risk that?

Oh, I'm still on iOS 8. Do you still need to rely on iTunes in iOS 9 or is the reliable Cloud taking care of everything now?

Last edited:

Precision Gem

macrumors 6502
Jun 3, 2015
USA
A friend of mine, has no other computer at home, only an iPad. He set up is Apple router, and email etc all with just the iPad. The iPad Air is all he needs, obviously he is not writing code, just doing what 90% of computer users only do....email, web browsing etc.

ThunderSkunk

macrumors 68040
Dec 31, 2007
Milwaukee Area
Why are you waiting for Apple to tell you how to work? They're making the tools available.

You seem to think that...
...A load of stuff I don't think about things I didn't say.

I couldn't care less about photoshop. Graphics is the only thing iPad and pencil CAN start to do. Professional design software isn't available on iOS, and it isn't coming. Some of these design applications were built in the 1960s in the space program and have decades of development time in them. They modify and utilize the OS in enormously involved ways to be as capable and powerful as they are, and sell for many thousands of dollars per seat. We can't even get the most popular, mid-level design software companies to consider writing for OS X yet, much less iOS. If you expect everyone to suddenly just start rewriting new versions of their software from scratch to fit an OS that can't even link a spreadsheet or database to a drawing, for use on a single manufacturers consumer-level device just because it's neat, you're going to be sitting around waiting, not working, a very long time.

iPad & pencil are great if you want to take some notes and doodle some sketches. Those are the 2 things it does. For the other million or so things, we can use Apple because OS X can run in conjunction with a secondary OS, and a fully capable Wacom Cintiq with customizable context menus optimized for the software and workflow. That's what professional means. OS X on a tablet would be that. An OS optimized for a phone isn't.

That's not stuck in 2001, that's stuck in today, and in stuck in at least the foreseeable future.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.