Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Kissmo1980

macrumors 6502
Feb 16, 2021
Still flickering on beta 6 :(
For me it’s fixed now completely.

Update: Darn. After the update everything was smooth.
Now I turned it on and I saw the flicker... Not as aggressive as before but it's still there.
I hope this is not a firmware issue.... I will report it again to Apple. I think this should be one of the things they could address asap in the next update.

Last edited:
Reactions: DaGoerd

Drecca

macrumors 6502
Aug 30, 2010
This actually gives me pause, and I know these are betas, but this is actually a really bad bug, and for Apple not to fix it by now is really weird to me. Makes me think the M2 12.9 iPad isn't a big seller and doesn't get priority for fixes.

I get there's a possibility that something is really weird with the M2 12.9 hardware and maybe the fix is taking a long time, but still... weird. Makes me question keeping this iPad.

Reactions: Evomasta

Paul Cordingley

macrumors member
Jan 10, 2019
Sydney, Australia
This actually gives me pause, and I know these are betas, but this is actually a really bad bug, and for Apple not to fix it by now is really weird to me. Makes me think the M2 12.9 iPad isn't a big seller and doesn't get priority for fixes.

I get there's a possibility that something is really weird with the M2 12.9 hardware and maybe the fix is taking a long time, but still... weird. Makes me question keeping this iPad.
I expect it will not be fixed for the first release of iPadOS 17.

If it isn't fixed in 17.1, then we have a problem.

CPmav

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 11, 2013
Lexington, KY
Still happening for me too. I’m officially getting worried this won’t be fixed during the beta period.

Eric-H

macrumors newbie
Aug 8, 2023
For me 80% better, when display is darker you can see it much more and I think the way is the right.

philliez98

macrumors member
Aug 8, 2010
Southeastern PA
12.9" and it's definitely not fixed for me. This is the same pattern I've seen before - it initially seems fixed (possibly due to an internal "There's no way they've let this continue" mental bias) but then as the fog of a new update clears, the flicker is seen again.
I’d say same exact thing as you. iPad 12.9 M2 and after a few days after install it seems to flicker slowly to what is has been. Only a few betas before they can hopefully fix it before GM release. :/

Kissmo1980

macrumors 6502
Feb 16, 2021
I’d say same exact thing as you. iPad 12.9 M2 and after a few days after install it seems to flicker slowly to what is has been. Only a few betas before they can hopefully fix it before GM release. :/
Strange.... for me the flicker is fully fixed.
Not once did I see replicate and I am using my iPad regularly under both bright and dark environments.

kevm

macrumors newbie
Jul 30, 2008
Canada
At first on beta 7 my 12.9 M2 was only flickering on the unlock enter password screen, now it is everywhere. Hopefully Apple can role back what every driver/firmware is causing this issue if they can’t fix it b4 release.

Eric-H

macrumors newbie
Aug 8, 2023
Beta 8 and still massive present. Wow ! feels like a Hardware issue. Hope in final version in 2 Weeks it’s fixed. Otherwise I change my hardware.

Kissmo1980

macrumors 6502
Feb 16, 2021
If it’s still present in the RC, I’m rolling back to iOS 16 before it’s too late to do so.
Very strange that in beta 7 I had no issues and it reappeared in beta 8! I am also considering rolling back this weekend.

Update: The flicker was so aggressive that I decided to roll back now.
I am actually concerned that even if this is a SW problem it will become a HW one due to the violent strobing effect.

Last edited:

danjan24

macrumors newbie
Jun 3, 2023
Very strange that in beta 7 I had no issues and it reappeared in beta 8! I am also considering rolling back this weekend.

Update: The flicker was so aggressive that I decided to roll back now.
I am actually concerned that even if this is a SW problem it will become a HW one due to the violent strobing effect.
I was rolling back a week ago. Waiting ween this is solved.

Reactions: Kissmo1980

Kissmo1980

macrumors 6502
Feb 16, 2021
I was rolling back a week ago. Waiting ween this is solved.
I just finished reinstalling and backup recovery.
I will miss is the home screen customization and the external monitor setup + web camera.

It's just a couple of weeks, I will survive without them :)

matthew_sorensen

macrumors newbie
Aug 29, 2023
I am also very concerned that this will turn out to be a hardware issue. If this was just some software glitch, Apple surly would’ve patched it in an earlier beta. Especially since I have to imagine that Apple’s own employees, at least some of them use the 12.9 inch iPad Pro. Something seem wrong with this. The flickering was so bad for me that I had to roll back to iPadOS 16.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.