Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JPizzzle

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 30, 2008
I've noticed on certain heavy content pages such as news websites, if I quickly scroll down safari briefly goes white as it loads the page even though the page had completed loading when initially opened. Anyone experience anything like this?

AliMacs

macrumors 6502
Oct 8, 2014
It does this for pdf's as well. For example you go to fredmeyer.com and load up their weekly ad page when you zoom in an d scroll around quickly it looks as though parts of the image is not scaled up fully (lower res) and then you notice it becomes normal again. I think it's just the way it renders on the iPad Pro.

But comparing to any android tablet, lol, iPad kills them.

Dammit Cubs

macrumors 68020
Jul 31, 2007
I have this issue when i got to specifically Bimmerpost. Seems like a memory issue because I reset the Ipad and that site didn't have issues anymore. I find it strange it has only happened in that website while the other sites were perfect. I'll see if i can duplicate it again..

But you are not alone....

RickTaylor

macrumors 6502a
Nov 9, 2013
I have the same problem, and it's very annoying. Strangely, I see the same thing happening on ios 8.4.2 and 9.1. Installing an ad blocker seemed to help, but didn't entirely fix the problem. Resetting the device seems to help.

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
I've been having this issue for a long time with my Air 2 and now my Pro. Scrolling through web pages eventually becomes a nuisance as you wait for the page to "load." A quick force close of Safari fixes it. You don't need to reboot the iPad. It's annoying as heck, though, and the issue is still very present in iOS 9.2 beta 4.

Reactions: rui no onna

sjleworthy

macrumors 68000
Dec 5, 2008
Penarth, Wales, UK
I've been having this issue for a long time with my Air 2 and now my Pro. Scrolling through web pages eventually becomes a nuisance as you wait for the page to "load." A quick force close of Safari fixes it. You don't need to reboot the iPad. It's annoying as heck, though, and the issue is still very present in iOS 9.2 beta 4.

As i mentioned in another thread, i also closed the gizzilion apps i had open in the background potentially hogging the ram. This seemed to help in my case too.

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
As i mentioned in another thread, i also closed the gizzilion apps i had open in the background potentially hogging the ram. This seemed to help in my case too.

Doesn't help on the iPad Pro. I've had nothing open but Safari and it still has this issue eventually. It's a Safari bug.

maxsix

Suspended
Jun 28, 2015
Western Hemisphere
Mine has this problem. It is quite annoying.
Not having an iPP, I had no idea how bad this was until arriving at my brothers, to try his this morning.

I'll be the first to admit that I didn't believe how bad it was till i saw it in person.

But in fairness to Apple, let's give them a few months to get it sorted out. They are aware of it.

engineerben

macrumors regular
Jul 2, 2010
Greenville Tx
Not having an iPP, I had no idea how bad this was until arriving at my brothers, to try his this morning.

I'll be the first to admit that I didn't believe how bad it was till i saw it in person.

But in fairness to Apple, let's give them a few months to get it sorted out. They are aware of it.
This. My IPP was not sleeping; burned through the battery with the cover closed. I force-closed a bunch of background apps, now all is well. IOS9.1 on the IPP really feels like a placeholder in some places. It'll be interesting to see what IOS10 brings for the IPP...

maxsix

Suspended
Jun 28, 2015
Western Hemisphere
This. My IPP was not sleeping; burned through the battery with the cover closed. I force-closed a bunch of background apps, now all is well. IOS9.1 on the IPP really feels like a placeholder in some places. It'll be interesting to see what IOS10 brings for the IPP...
Thanks for the feedback.

One of the main reasons I ended up looking at this issue, was because I'm the tech guy in the family and my brother asked for help. I'm certainly no expert, but I have done all the usual checks. Out of an abundance of caution, one of the first things I did was to kill off all background apps, even though I usually let the device handle background operations. With this iPP it made no difference. The issue as it presents on this machine is a bit inconsistent. Time will tell.

I think it is specific to Safari, I don't see it with Chrome. I haven't seen it with PDFs, but will look for it there.
I concur.

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle

Same experience here. Love the iPP. Generally get great battery. Last night used it till about 65% battery, and this morning it's at 35%. The hell?

And this Safari issue is mega annoying. iOS 10 come on!

stylinexpat

macrumors 68020
Mar 6, 2009
Here is another problem I have found with the stutter. Let's say you are playing a music video with split screen and have safari open. Now scroll down the page while the video is playing and you will not only get stutter but a blank page as it tries to catch up. Is this due to lack of memory or what?

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    288.6 KB · Views: 226
Last edited:

Krevnik

macrumors 601
Sep 8, 2003
I've noticed on certain heavy content pages such as news websites, if I quickly scroll down safari briefly goes white as it loads the page even though the page had completed loading when initially opened. Anyone experience anything like this?

After reading though some of the notes here, I definitely think there are probably bugs here, but I do want to point out one thing:

A "loaded" page doesn't mean fully rendered. On a device like this, a page can basically be unbounded, but memory is not. So the page goes through layout, but may not actually render to a pixel buffer when loaded (just the parts you can see). The page is divided into tiles that can be rendered as needed from this layout information, usually as you scroll, so an upper bound on RAM use can be set. But a more complex page takes more CPU to render (more images, mainly). Any sort of performance bug on a particularly heavy page can definitely cause you to "get ahead" of the renderer. Having other things that require a certain amount of CPU makes it easier to see this behavior.

But a single page on a MacRumors thread can easily be 200MB of just pixel data if it is fully rendered. Plus all the intermediate bits (images, the DOM, CSS, compiled JavaScript, etc) add up on top of that and can be quite big these days. If I want to control how much memory a page can use, one good way to do it is to keep a good grip on how many tiles you keep around in memory.

Back with earlier iOS devices, it was common to see some unrendered areas while scrolling in apps like Safari. Better CPUs have mostly eliminated it.

I have seen similar bugs where the page itself just doesn't get rendered at all in a tab and your only option is to close the tab and visit the site again with a different tab. So there's definitely something buggy with the rendering pipeline in Safari right now.

Reactions: rui no onna

jamesrick80

macrumors 68030
Sep 12, 2014
Here is another problem I have found with the stutter. Let's say you are playing a music video with split screen and have safari open. Now scroll down the page while the video is playing and you will not only get stutter but a blank page as it tries to catch up. Is this due to lack of memory or what?
No that's not a ram issue, that's a coding issue in safari and it happens in all ipads even the larger pro. Go use UC browser HD and do those same steps, you will not see that rendering issue.

stylinexpat

macrumors 68020
Mar 6, 2009
After reading though some of the notes here, I definitely think there are probably bugs here, but I do want to point out one thing:

A "loaded" page doesn't mean fully rendered. On a device like this, a page can basically be unbounded, but memory is not. So the page goes through layout, but may not actually render to a pixel buffer when loaded (just the parts you can see). The page is divided into tiles that can be rendered as needed from this layout information, usually as you scroll, so an upper bound on RAM use can be set. But a more complex page takes more CPU to render (more images, mainly). Any sort of performance bug on a particularly heavy page can definitely cause you to "get ahead" of the renderer. Having other things that require a certain amount of CPU makes it easier to see this behavior.

Rendering and scrolling on my older iPad Mini 2 and my new iPhone 6s Plus all seem good so far.

But a single page on a MacRumors thread can easily be 200MB of just pixel data if it is fully rendered. Plus all the intermediate bits (images, the DOM, CSS, compiled JavaScript, etc) add up on top of that and can be quite big these days. If I want to control how much memory a page can use, one good way to do it is to keep a good grip on how many tiles you keep around in memory.

That is why it would have been nice to see Apple give us 4GB of RAM on this iPad.

Hopefully the next update resolves these issues.

RickTaylor

macrumors 6502a
Nov 9, 2013

This has been a problem for many months, and not just for the pro (though perhaps it's more noticeable on a larger screen). It was introduced somewhere during iOS 8. There have been earlier threads on this topic. I've taken to using other browsers.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.