Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mcdj

macrumors G3
Jul 10, 2007
NYC
Yes, it was stolen and the thief immediately took a $1000 tablet on a $1500 flight back to China.

Skeetergirl

macrumors newbie
Nov 19, 2015
Mine still has not updated and was scheduled to deliver Wednesday... still showing where it went back to China. :-(

mrp717

macrumors newbie
Oct 29, 2011
South Florida
Picked it up tonight.

IMG_2937.jpg

tobyx

macrumors regular
Apr 2, 2008
Berlin, Germany
Cute :)

It's actually neither theft, nor a system anomaly. This happens when customs clearance is obtained before the package actually arrives. UPS WorldEase does this to simplify procedures, save money and time.

thinayr

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 19, 2015
Fort Collins, CO
So, delivery was originally scheduled for today (20th nov) - nothing came. Talked to Apple, they said it "might arrive" Monday (23rd) although all status online still just says "shipping issue. Contact Apple".

UPS told me that the updates to the shipping status I was seeing of it moving from China to Alaska etc. (see screenshot in original post) weren't actually the package moving but "where they expected it to be"(?) - apparently it's *still* in China and they could my give a delivery date.

Obviously a few extra days isn't the end of the world, but the lack of info / conflicting info is irritating, as is the fact that there still isn't a trackable item for me to plan around...

More deets as they unfold!

dhrupalp

macrumors newbie
Nov 19, 2015
So, delivery was originally scheduled for today (20th nov) - nothing came. Talked to Apple, they said it "might arrive" Monday (23rd) although all status online still just says "shipping issue. Contact Apple".

UPS told me that the updates to the shipping status I was seeing of it moving from China to Alaska etc. (see screenshot in original post) weren't actually the package moving but "where they expected it to be"(?) - apparently it's *still* in China and they could my give a delivery date.

Obviously a few extra days isn't the end of the world, but the lack of info / conflicting info is irritating, as is the fact that there still isn't a trackable item for me to plan around...

More deets as they unfold!

dhrupalp

macrumors newbie
Nov 19, 2015
I was also scheduled for delivery today. Apple is telling me it will come November 27 and UPS is saying that it may come Monday. I don't think either company understands what's going on. One UPS agent gave me the same story that some of the messages are automated and in actuality the package has not left China yet.

gtmac

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2010
Mine did the same thing. Apple has been very unapologetic and kept saying regardless of what you see it will be deliver on 11/19. Well that didn't happen and finally they are indeed saying something is wrong we are working on it.

Brian Y

macrumors 68040
Oct 21, 2012
I just checked with my buddy who works for UPS, I showed him that screenshot. He said the most common reason that happens is when the package was initially routed incorrectly, or there is an equipment failure (e.g. a broken plane) that makes a route unavoidable.

He said in the case of the screenshot, it was most likely that the package was rerouted back to Hong Kong so that it could be put on UPS59, which is a direct flight between Chek Lap Kok and Anchorage.

dhrupalp

macrumors newbie
Nov 19, 2015
I just checked with my buddy who works for UPS, I showed him that screenshot. He said the most common reason that happens is when the package was initially routed incorrectly, or there is an equipment failure (e.g. a broken plane) that makes a route unavoidable.

He said in the case of the screenshot, it was most likely that the package was rerouted back to Hong Kong so that it could be put on UPS59, which is a direct flight between Chek Lap Kok and Anchorage.
It could also come through Dubai and Germany like the person who posted a few minutes ago. I've had a RMBP come through Dubai and Germany last week being delivered to Atlanta.

Brian Y

macrumors 68040
Oct 21, 2012
It could also come through Dubai and Germany like the person who posted a few minutes ago. I've had a RMBP come through Dubai and Germany last week being delivered to Atlanta.

He just did some digging. UPS214, from Cologne to Louisville was out of action on 15th November and given the tracking info, this was obviously the flight it was meant to take originally. So I assume it was just a case of finding the next available route for an MD11 worth of packages between Germany and Kentucky, which in this case looks like Germany -> HK -> Anchorage -> Louisville.

Last edited:

supersalo

macrumors 6502
May 14, 2010
He just did some digging. UPS214, from Cologne to Louisville was out of action on 15th November and given the tracking info, this was obviously the flight it was meant to take originally. So I assume it was just a case of finding the next available route for an MD11 worth of packages between Germany and Kentucky, which in this case looks like Germany -> HK -> Anchorage -> Louisville.

That's so weird. Mine took the exact same route (on the same days & time) to the US.

I had never had an order go through Germany before. Even with all that, mine still was delivered on the first day of the delivery window.

draughn101

macrumors regular
Feb 23, 2011
Ah! Mine has been in Houston since yesterday morning at 9am, and they're still saying it won't be delivered until Monday! It's like 5 miles away.

thinayr

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 19, 2015
Fort Collins, CO
I just had them return to sender and picked one up from iPad Pro.

I also called around town to see if any mac dealers had space gray 128's... nada. Comically they all seem to have so many 32GB pros that in a few weeks they'll probably be giving them away free with any purchase of $20 or more...

"Fortunately" the pencil is still 3 weeks away... so I know I'll be waiting waiting waiting..

For the others in the same sitch, this one's for you:

Reactions: draven898

blakekrone

macrumors newbie
Oct 9, 2008
Mine was supposed to be delivered tomorrow. According to UPS it was in KY on the 19th, but now UPS has updated it saying rescheduled delivery and showing last location as Chek Lap Kok, Hong Kong.

thinayr

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 19, 2015
Fort Collins, CO
Ups finally had updated info yesterday. After 2+ days "missing" in KY and then 2+ more back in China... It is retracing the original route, (China to AK to KY) now showing as scheduled for delivery by end of day Monday.

So if you are in the same boat, it's not likely it will "just show up" as some other people indicated (so at least I can stop looking out the window every time I hear a Diesel engine) - more likely you'll eventually get updated details and will follow it all over again!

4God

macrumors 68020
Apr 5, 2005
My Mac
Ups finally had updated info yesterday. After 2+ days "missing" in KY and then 2+ more back in China... It is retracing the original route, (China to AK to KY) now showing as scheduled for delivery by end of day Monday.

So if you are in the same boat, it's not likely it will "just show up" as some other people indicated (so at least I can stop looking out the window every time I hear a Diesel engine) - more likely you'll eventually get updated details and will follow it all over again!

Well? Did it arrive?

MartyCan

macrumors 68000
Oct 31, 2012
Near Toronto, ON
Cute :)

It's actually neither theft, nor a system anomaly. This happens when customs clearance is obtained before the package actually arrives. UPS WorldEase does this to simplify procedures, save money and time.
That makes sense. Before I saw that I was wondering if maybe a pallet from a shipment was scanned to be loaded on a plane and then somehow got left in the facility in China by mistake.

driftless

macrumors 65816
Sep 2, 2011
Chicago-area
We have had an iPhone and an iPad stolen from the UPS near us suburban Chicago. The first time that it happened it was always listed as on the truck for delivery. Calling Apple and UPS did not help as they both referred me to the other. I finally sent an email off the Tim Cook email and his handler call me back within an hour or so. I received my iPhone the next day.

blakekrone

macrumors newbie
Oct 9, 2008
Apple assured me it was going to be delivered today, but it wasn't. Still MIA, so we'll see what happens with mine...

UPS chat actually said there is an agreement with the "shipper" for so much freight per plane/truck and it is "waiting its turn".

hagalah

macrumors member
Sep 12, 2014
I think that Apple should either fire UPS or someone else handle distribution department.

But I tend to believe Apple makes some big mistakes by their side when launching ipad pro and accessories.

Worst shopping experience with Apple ever since first gen iphone.

Brian Y

macrumors 68040
Oct 21, 2012
Apple assured me it was going to be delivered today, but it wasn't. Still MIA, so we'll see what happens with mine...

UPS chat actually said there is an agreement with the "shipper" for so much freight per plane/truck and it is "waiting its turn".

UPS work to capacity most of the time, it's the easiest way to keep costs down. If/when something goes wrong, it can cause a hassle with rerouting (often finding space for 1 parcel isn't a problem, finding space for several pallets worth can me).

Ultimately though, Apple is responsible, not UPS. At this point I'd be calling Apple and ask them to resend.

blakekrone

macrumors newbie
Oct 9, 2008
UPS work to capacity most of the time, it's the easiest way to keep costs down. If/when something goes wrong, it can cause a hassle with rerouting (often finding space for 1 parcel isn't a problem, finding space for several pallets worth can me).

Ultimately though, Apple is responsible, not UPS. At this point I'd be calling Apple and ask them to resend.

I agree that the rerouting is tough, just would be nice to have some information. I certainly have been contacting Apple, I was waiting till after their "assured delivery date" passed before I asked for a resend of any sorts. Now that date has passed I'll be doing just that.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.