Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Populus

macrumors 601
Aug 24, 2012
Spain, Europe
Barring a move to an iPad version of MacOS, I can't see a logical reason for Apple to debut the M4 on iPad first over Macs.

Honestly, I’ve thought the same thing. One bold move would be to release the new iPad Pro with an M4 chip, 12GB of base RAM (hopefully), and the ability to turn into a macOS-like UI when paired to the new Magic Keyboard or plugged into an external display.

I’d prefer to have an hybrid option with a more traditional iPadOS UI on the iPad screen, and the more desktop-like UI on the external monitor. And… no, by desktop-like I don’t mean the current Stage Manager solution, but rather a more refined and pointer-oriented UI.

The price point of this device plus the keyboard and trackpad would definitely justify the canibalization of the lower end MacBooks.

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA
iPad gets advanced screen tech before the Macs, so why not a more powerful SoC 6 month before a Mac if it fits Apples marketing? I agree M3 is most likely at the moment but you provide no arguments so please expand.
Because the screen is great for content consumption and drawing. Meanwhile having your Macs, which are more far more commonly used for work, slower than the iPads, which have very little software to take advantage of the processor, makes no sense. So unless the iPad gets MacOS, its not getting the M4 before the Macs do.

iPadified

macrumors 68000
Apr 25, 2017
Because the screen is great for content consumption and drawing. Meanwhile having your Macs, which are more far more commonly used for work, slower than the iPads, which have very little software to take advantage of the processor, makes no sense. So unless the iPad gets MacOS, its not getting the M4 before the Macs do.
So iPad do not benefit of hardware rendering (M3) for gaming or enhanced AI (M4)? I fail to see the logic. With your reasoning, why ever move beyond M1 or A12Z? All I said was that having an extra 8.5 million Apple AI users the coming year make sense.

Reactions: Populus

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA
So iPad do not benefit of hardware rendering (M3) for gaming or enhanced AI (M4)? I fail to see the logic. With your reasoning, why ever move beyond M1 or A12Z? All I said was that having an extra 8.5 million Apple AI users the coming year make sense.
What a strange conclusion to draw.

I never said that the iPad wouldn't benefit from, or get a faster processor; the M3 is faster than the M2 after all. I certainly never implied that the iPad should stick to the M1, because I predicted the Pros would get the M3.

What I did say was that unless the iPad gets MacOS, the iPads wont get the M4 before the Macs do.

Last edited:

iPadified

macrumors 68000
Apr 25, 2017
I never said that the iPad wouldn't benefit from, or get a faster processor; the M3 is faster than the M2 after all. That was a really weird conclusion to draw.

What I did say was that unless the iPad gets MacOS, the iPads wont get the M4 before the Macs do.
Just messing with you a bit. I think this is matter of feeling: which is the most important device - Mac or iPad. I doubt there are any restraints on M4 production so it is simply down to marketing and how to earn most money. MacOS on iPad has absolutely nothing to do with it.

Reactions: darngooddesign

smulji

macrumors 68030
Feb 21, 2011
Only thing I can see happening here is that the M3 in these iPad Pros may be a revision of the same chip but being fabricated with a cheaper manufacturing process (They may be using N3E instead of N3B)
The M3 is fabbed on the N3B node which is not compatible (per TSMC) with the N3E node

Reactions: dustin.haley

MayaUser

macrumors 68030
Nov 22, 2021
The M2 was introduced during WWDC 2022, before the iPhone.
Read again
M2(2022) is based on late 2021 iphone SoC A15
iPhones shows us the way on the new SoC
Bottom line M4 will not come at WWDC but after the iphone

Last edited:

UltimateSyn

macrumors 601
Mar 3, 2008
Massachusetts
Read again
M2(2022) is based on late 2021 iphone SoC A15
iPhones shows us the way on the new SoC
Bottom line M4 will not come at WWDC but after the iphone
I don't necessarily think this will happen with this year's iPads, but I wouldn't be surprised to see this change at some point. They could get ahead of any process-related issues in the iPad/Mac chips first with significantly lower volume shipments, before moving the chip architecture into the higher-volume iPhones. It's not like they're competing against each other.

Reactions: Populus

MayaUser

macrumors 68030
Nov 22, 2021
I don't necessarily think this will happen with this year's iPads, but I wouldn't be surprised to see this change at some point. They could get ahead of any process-related issues in the iPad/Mac chips first with significantly lower volume shipments, before moving the chip architecture into the higher-volume iPhones. It's not like they're competing against each other.
We said that before with the M3, we said that before with Apple OS...it didnt happen...Apple needs more SoC for the iphones, they will not risk with the Macs. iPhone is around 50% of their business....then its services and so on
The only thing i can see at WWDC, maybe, its an Mac Pro presented with M4 based highest power SoC that will be release for its customers after September, late 2024. This can be a probability, but just
But the first release device with N3E will be the iphone

UltimateSyn

macrumors 601
Mar 3, 2008
Massachusetts

heretiq

Contributor
Jan 31, 2014
Denver, CO
We have been expecting M3 iPad Pros for a while now but I was just browsing through some of the rumors and I noticed something interesting.

There was information from a private X account with a proven track record that shared chip identifiers for the new WiFi + cellular iPad Pros and it’s apparently using a T8132 chip. However, T8132 is not the identifier for the M3 chip which is T8122.

In fact, based on the pattern that the M series chips have been following, it seems like it’s the M4 chip.

M2 - T8112
M3 - T8122
T8132 - M4?

But that’s not all. A few days ago, 9to5Mac found identifiers for the new WiFi+Cellular iPad Pros: iPad16,3 iPad 16,4 iPad 16,5 iPad16,6

M1 based products all start with 13. For example, the M1 iPad Air is called iPad13,16. The 11” M1 iPad Pro is iPad13,4, the M1 Max Mac Studio is Mac13,1 etc

M2 based products are 14. The 11” M2 iPad Pro is iPad14,3. M2 Ultra Mac Studio is Mac14,8 etc

M3 based products are 15. The 16” M3 Max MacBook Pro is Mac15,12. M3 iMac is Mac15,5 etc

But these new iPad identifiers have skipped 15 and went straight to 16. Are we about to get an M4 iPad Pro?
Congrats @Jamie I ! MaxTech just gave you a shoutout on YouTube for this post:

🙏🏽

Gelam

macrumors regular
Aug 31, 2021
Congrats @Jamie I ! MaxTech just gave you a shoutout on YouTube for this post:

🙏🏽
Oh my thats really cool! I wonder why M4 on iPad Pro rumors are not more widely talked about though. And Mark Gurman seems to be quiet about it. That will make for a bigger surprise if iPP gets M4 for real.

iPadified

macrumors 68000
Apr 25, 2017
Falling stock prices due to slow AI adoption is a strong motivator for rapid and unpredicatble improvements. The A17Pro has already twice the NPU perfromance over M3 chips so iPhone might already be prepared for the AI boost. Would make sense if they where, nice biggish customer base right after iOS18 release. So an M4 would perhaps surpass the A17 Pro but most user do not read the spec sheets like we do. They want to know if they have an improved Siri or not on the device.

Alameda

macrumors 6502a
Jun 22, 2012
Quite an observation

I am now convinced iPads will come with M4, the Pros at least

Also makes sense considering these iPad Pros won’t be updated for another 1.5-2 years and considering Apple has to make the increase in price justifiable as well
What’s the point?
Apple can make the chip 10x faster, if they don’t clock it like a laptop and if their software still slows it down, it doesn’t matter.

I attached a USB Hub with a CF Express card and SSD drive to my iPad Pro (latest model). Copying 30 GB of photos took 3 1/2 minutes. I then attached the same hub with the same devices attached to my MacBook Pro, and the copy took less than 60 seconds. Same hardware, same files, same cable.

This is not a problem which needs an M4 or an M10 to solve. It clearly needs software engineering to solve.

MayaUser

macrumors 68030
Nov 22, 2021
they were wrong again and its sad that people still watch those guys as an info for upcoming Apple things
May event for mac and ipads...so M4 on the upcoming ipads was a joke, but keep feeding those type of clickbait sites
When that websites source is a new random nickname from macRumors....
This aged "well"

Last edited:

jb310

macrumors member
Aug 24, 2017
A brand new Apple Silicon chip debuting in the iPad? I think it's unlikely, but it would be amazing for iPad owners if it's true. 😯

Reactions: alecgold

Gelam

macrumors regular
Aug 31, 2021
they were wrong again and its sad that people still watch those guys as an info for upcoming Apple things
May event for mac and ipads...so M4 on the upcoming ipads was a joke, but keep feeding those type of clickbait sites
When that websites source is a new random nickname from macRumors....
This aged "well"
By "they" you mean Maxtech?

Reactions: MayaUser

Gelam

macrumors regular
Aug 31, 2021
Falling stock prices due to slow AI adoption is a strong motivator for rapid and unpredicatble improvements. The A17Pro has already twice the NPU perfromance over M3 chips so iPhone might already be prepared for the AI boost. Would make sense if they where, nice biggish customer base right after iOS18 release. So an M4 would perhaps surpass the A17 Pro but most user do not read the spec sheets like we do. They want to know if they have an improved Siri or not on the device.
Oh I didn't know that A17Pro has twice the NPU performance over M3. Does this mean the M4 would be based on A17pro rather than A18?

teohyc

macrumors 6502
May 24, 2007
Probably not.

This company is about incremental upgrades. If they can release the iPad Pro with M2.5, they would.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.