Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

shaunymac

macrumors 6502
Feb 5, 2008
Well, as a apple person, stock holder I enjoy this news. It reminds me of the PPC era a bit but now they have the funds to be competitive if they elect to go down this path.

They selfish part of me...I will have to "eventually" come to grips with my CS6 Master Suite I purchased not being as relevant. I guess that's where an Intel mac comes in to play. I'll be that guy that keeps hanging on to one...Ha! I kept one of my PPC's for quite awhile for the same reason. Deja Vu?
[doublepost=1453565206][/doublepost]
History lessons include the IBM-compatible PC winning out against all competition, because even the best single one company can't compete against a multitude of manufacturers advancing an open industry standard. Because every chipmaker can license the ARM architecture and legally build their own brand of ARM CPUs, Intel alone can't win against the whole semiconductor industry combined. When Apple switched from PowerPC to Intel they cited "performance per watt" as the main reason. Laptops are battery-powered computers and will profit from power-efficient ARM chips just as much as smartphones and tablets. Intel is the one who needs to start to compete on efficiency again and they did with the Core M. It fits in a 920 gram fan-less MacBook compared to a 713 gram iPad Pro, but it delivers only 9 hours of battery life compared to 10 hours and it's not any faster anymore. Intels only advantage is backward-compatibility with decades old software and it's biggest disadvantage is it's obscene profit margin investors come to expect. Both don't translate into the future.

Ditto this! I couldn't have said it better. My post above is just a summary of how I feel but this is the truth.

AFEPPL

macrumors 68030
Sep 30, 2014
England
Desktop OS for the desktops and laptops, a tablet OS for tablets. Keep them separate. Also, why say "real mobile device"?

Because a laptop is the only truly mobile device "without" real compromise.
Ipad is a complete compromise, program differences, OS differences, no attached keyboard, difficult to work productively on your knee for example.

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
Ipad is a complete compromise, program differences, OS differences, no attached keyboard, difficult to work productively on your knee for example.

It's only a compromise if you need full desktop programs and/or a keyboard all the time.

Reactions: rbrian

bmustaf

macrumors 6502a
Jul 6, 2007
Telluride, CO
Stack depends on what part of the product we're talking. Here's a breakdown

For mobile development:

-Xcode, Simulator, Swift 2.1 code base (this is important, because the Swift compiler is getting better but still a hog) & Objective-C code base (2 different projects, not integrated into same project)

The Swift compiles were just nearly impossible. They were so CPU intensive they would suck down that battery at 3-5x normal burn, which was an issue for me. Not to mention they were so slow my productivity was nil. This not just means build for test/run, but code highlighting, assist, verification, warnings, indexing, etc.

The Obj-C performance was *better* but after a few weeks when the sexiness of the MBr wore off practicality won: "This is why they still make & I didn't get rid of my MBPs" was proven.

Don't even get me started on "want to test on a real device? Pull out your USB-C to USB dongle" thing. There is no USB-C - Lightning cable, which is stupid. Again, if there was, it would also add to drain as you'd be powering your iOS device off your already dwindling MBr battery.

For web development:

-Node.js Redux/React stack in WebStorm 11 with a variety of npm-based dev servers/build/pack tools

This was slightly better than mobile. Compile/build times were not an issue, but WebStorm uses a Java Virtual Machine and the same issues with UI responsiveness, indexing, code assist lag, etc were deal-breakers after the sexy of the machine wore off

For backend development:

-Elasticsearch, Node.js workers, Redis, Neo4j, WebStorm 11

For many scenarios, we have dedicated dev/test clusters, of course, but for some work, just have *have* to do it locally. Forget about that. Running ES (again, requires a JVM) concurrent along side the dev stack and other services required just doesn't fit on that machine's RAM, let alone CPU. If you did it, you'd waste nearly all the power enhancements about "hurry up and get to idle" that the Core relies on for battery life.

Running ONLY WS11 and connecting to a remote cluster was a bit better. This was probably the most viable use of the machine for dev - testing smaller, micro service-esque Node logic modules against remotely hosted data stores.

Forget about running your dev/test set up in Docker or other virtualization solutions. The CPU supports it, but that's just a checkbox on a spec sheet, it doesn't have the horsepower to truly support it, and still drains the battery like a madman.

Ultimately, I would use the dev stack on the MBr if it was the ONLY thing available in an emergency where a bug needs to be fixed or new code worked with somehow. It is *possible*, it is far from productive and is incredibly gray-hair inducing. It also requires close proximity to a power outlet for any amount of time to work, because the battery life is optimized on that CPU for work in low-intensity "spurts" and high-idle workloads. Development is pretty much the opposite, esp with modern IDEs and modern languages whose compilers deal with much higher level abstractions and non-deterministic branching.

If you were writing assembly (or even unadulterated C) I think you'd have a credible platform on a MBr to do dev. Nothing beyond that, IMO, esp once the sexy wears off.

So, really, when you remove the dev opportunities of having an x86 piece of silicon in the machine, it's just a less capable, more expensive, less flexible iPad Pro. Without a touchscreen and with poorer connectivity options.

The MBr was not built as a dev machine. Never. Which is why the iPad Pro wins in my estimation - they were built for the same thing, and the MBr has all the disadvantages of the x86/traditional chipset model but cannot do any of the things that give that platform it's "advantage" or sweet spot. iPad Pro/A9X FTW here.

What's your dev stack like, and what were the issues?
[doublepost=1453565615][/doublepost]The MBr is an *incredible* example of compromise. It is nothing *BUT* compromise. I love mine, but to say it is without compromise is ridiculous!

[doublepost=1453565707][/doublepost]Or a CPU that can handle low-idle-time workloads without killing battery life. I think a lot of people do not understand that the Core M CPU can only hit its battery life numbers on a VERY limited set of workloads. Anything beyond light email, light productivity, or web browsing and the CPU is truly inefficient.

This is where the A9X truly shines, IMO.

It's only a compromise if you need full desktop programs and/or a keyboard all the time.

Reactions: rbrian and rekhyt

AFEPPL

macrumors 68030
Sep 30, 2014
England
Hows the rMBP compromised, A screen thats arguably the best usable size and picture "Currently" going. The best keyboard option around vs the add on BT options or even worse screen keyboard
A file system to allow you to store data and work offline
input ports to allow for things like USB flash drives to be plugged in.

Where as the IPP is too big and ungainly to use comfortable, the device is a complete pain with no tactile keyboard providing feedback to the fingers, no nice way to transfer data and airdrop is a complete shot in the dark and it's not that light or easier to transport around.

Last edited:

jujufreeze

macrumors 6502a
Jan 7, 2016
So, really, when you remove the dev opportunities of having an x86 piece of silicon in the machine, it's just a less capable, more expensive, less flexible iPad Pro. Without a touchscreen and with poorer connectivity options.

The ipad pro doesn't have a trackpad. I repeat, the ipad pro doesn't have a trackpad or comparable keyboard to a macbook. No matter how much easier the pro is to develop for, if I'm doing ANY work from basic word processing to emails to excel I want it done on a machine that has a trackpad and dedicated keyboard that just works. If I'm a student, a grandpa, a businessman, I want a machine with a dedicated trackpad or mouse, dedicated easy-to-use keyboard without fumbling around for extra accessories, and a full operating system that isn't limited by ios.

bmustaf

macrumors 6502a
Jul 6, 2007
Telluride, CO
Again, like I mentioned above, if staying "with the way I've always done it" is important to you, then, well, great.

I, too, held this view you espouse (that the trackpad is the only way of doing it, that iOS is so limited it cannot do "real" work, and that if the keyboard isn't a clamshell it's not "easy" or "real" or requires "fumbling"). I was wrong on nearly all counts.

Change can be difficult for folks, I understand that. And change for change's sake is not even wise, really. But, just like pushing "hey this is new so it must be better" is just ridiculous, heavily clinging to monotheism without a consideration that there maybe a "better" way as technology evolves and usage patterns can be improved (even if they take some getting used to) is equally ridiculous.

Seriously, I thought I'd never give up the trackpad convenience and "power" of it, a clamshell laptop, and stuff that "just works". Now, I find myself awkwardly touching my MBr screen and wondering why I have to use the trackpad as the middleman to interface with my UI instead of just touching it directly. The rewiring didn't take long and I am pleasantly surprised by how well it's working.

Now, if they'll go mount a touchscreen on the MBr or MBP at some point and give us *all* this, hot damn.

But, seriously, the "cold dead hands" there is only one way to do "real" work mentality is just as bad as the "well, it's new, and it's shinier, so you gotta do it that way" mentality.

EDIT: The keyboard is almost exactly the same. Seriously, have you used the iPad Pro keyboard case? It's directly attached, stays attached, and feels almost exactly the same save for the covering, but the throw, feel, and layout is incredibly similar.

The ipad pro doesn't have a trackpad. I repeat, the ipad pro doesn't have a trackpad or comparable keyboard to a macbook. No matter how much easier the pro is to develop for, if I'm doing ANY work from basic word processing to emails to excel I want it done on a machine that has a trackpad and dedicated keyboard that just works. If I'm a student, a grandpa, a businessman, I want a machine with a dedicated trackpad or mouse, dedicated easy-to-use keyboard without fumbling around for extra accessories, and a full operating system that isn't limited by ios.

jujufreeze

macrumors 6502a
Jan 7, 2016
Again, like I mentioned above, if staying "with the way I've always done it" is important to you, then, well, great.

I, too, held this view you espouse (that the trackpad is the only way of doing it, that iOS is so limited it cannot do "real" work, and that if the keyboard isn't a clamshell it's not "easy" or "real" or requires "fumbling"). I was wrong on nearly all counts.

Change can be difficult for folks, I understand that. And change for change's sake is not even wise, really. But, just like pushing "hey this is new so it must be better" is just ridiculous, heavily clinging to monotheism without a consideration that there maybe a "better" way as technology evolves and usage patterns can be improved (even if they take some getting used to) is equally ridiculous.

Seriously, I thought I'd never give up the trackpad convenience and "power" of it, a clamshell laptop, and stuff that "just works". Now, I find myself awkwardly touching my MBr screen and wondering why I have to use the trackpad as the middleman to interface with my UI instead of just touching it directly. The rewiring didn't take long and I am pleasantly surprised by how well it's working.

Now, if they'll go mount a touchscreen on the MBr or MBP at some point and give us *all* this, hot damn.

But, seriously, the "cold dead hands" there is only one way to do "real" work mentality is just as bad as the "well, it's new, and it's shinier, so you gotta do it that way" mentality.

EDIT: The keyboard is almost exactly the same. Seriously, have you used the iPad Pro keyboard case? It's directly attached, stays attached, and feels almost exactly the same save for the covering, but the throw, feel, and layout is incredibly similar.

I have an ipad air. I have a bluetooth keyboard and clam-style attachment case. It's not nearly as tactile or comfortable as my retina macbook pro's keyboard. I have also typed on my ipad with and without the keyboard. The experience is inferior to typing natively on my macbook every time. As an example, touching a bit of text to indent on page 10 is infinitely more difficult on ios using all-touch controls than on a macbook with a trackpad. And the ipad pro is basically a more souped-up giant ipad air. It's not like I'm being obstinate refusing to switch to a superior piece of tech or something. On anything even remotely related to productivity, the ipad has failed me not because the screen is too small, it just isn't a replacement to my macbook. It's great as a media consumption device, that's it. I agree the new macbooks should have touchscreens. Until then, even if you offered me a brand-new shiny ipad pro in exchange for my slightly dated macbook, I would keep my macbook every time. I am perfectly satisfied with the combination of writing notes/power needs taken care of on my macbook and media consumption needs taken care of on my 9.7 inch ipad air. The ipad pro is just a giant, shiny toy to me that you can draw on.

Last edited:

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
I have an ipad air. I have a bluetooth keyboard and clam-style attachment case. It's not nearly as tactile or comfortable as my retina macbook pro's keyboard. I have also typed on my ipad with and without the keyboard. The experience is inferior to typing natively on my macbook every time. As an example, touching a bit of text to indent on page 10 is infinitely more difficult on ios using all-touch controls than on a macbook with a trackpad. And the ipad pro is basically a more souped-up giant ipad air. It's not like I'm being obstinate refusing to switch to a superior piece of tech or something. On anything even remotely related to productivity, the ipad has failed me not because the screen is too small, it just isn't a replacement to my macbook. It's great as a media consumption device, that's it. I agree the new macbooks should have touchscreens. Until then, even if you offered me a brand-new shiny ipad pro in exchange for my slightly dated macbook, I would keep my macbook every time. I am perfectly satisfied with the combination of writing notes/power needs taken care of on my macbook and media consumption needs taken care of on my 9.7 inch ipad air. The ipad pro is just a giant, shiny toy to me that you can draw on.

For anyone who wants a keyboard that's just as good as the MacBook keyboard, I suggest grabbing some sort of case with just a kickstand and the newest Apple Magic Keyboard.

sledgehammer89

macrumors 6502
Jan 22, 2009
Is this sarcasm? All that stuff is things that 99.9 percent of users do not do. You're proving his point.
If 99.9% doesn't need it, why...

Over time the functionality will be added to iOS to make all those things possible.
... do you think iPad need or becomes this features?

Btw, I know no one using Netflix and I've 60 well known colleagues. In an IT department. But I've known 60 people who don't write only crap into the Internet. They want to organize and do her/his work. Work isn't consuming Netflix...

You can't even batch convert Photos on iPad...

Gudi

Suspended
May 3, 2013
Berlin, Berlin
Every computer system is a compromise each with it's own priorities. A compromise isn't always something bad, a good compromise weighs two conflicting priorities and tries to reach the most of both. Compromises are what made the iPhone even possible. Something had to give, to make handheld computers possible. Apple choose it's priorities and compromises with the iPhone so wisely, that customers made them the most valuable technology company in history. So have a little respect for a compromised device!
iPad is a complete compromise, program differences, OS differences, no attached keyboard, difficult to work productively on your knee for example.
Differences aren't compromises, they are just differences. You got to ignore them. A software keyboard versus a hardware keyboard is a compromise. It is arguably harder to type on, but you also get something in return for omitting the physical keys. First of all, a laptop isn't easier to work on your knee, it is dependent on a knee to support it's weight. It is too heavy to work as a handheld device for a sustained period of time and therefore has to rest on your knee or lap, hence the name lap-top. A tablets weight is way easier to hold and to maneuver, even without the help of desks or laps. That's a benefit as valuable as what made laptops replace desktops and desktops replace mainframes. Mankind has chosen portability over performance again and again. And the A9X review suggests, it isn't even that big of a compromise anymore.
[doublepost=1453581256][/doublepost]
If 99.9% doesn't need it, why...
Because nobody records TV anymore and cuts out the commercials himself. We are also living in a Post-TV era and even post-ripping, post-downloading and post-storing. It's all on-demand streaming now! If the iPad would be incapable of playing video, you would have a point. But it is so optimized for this task that it even runs an hour longer when playing video than browsing the web. That is limited to only one special high-performance video codec (H.264), but that's why the whole world is switching to that standard, even the pirating community. The same with printer drivers, either implement AirPrint or be left out of mobile printing. Limitation is what enables a more efficient solution. Efficiency eliminates the need for bad compromises. The iPad Air is less than half the price and half the weight of a MacBook. How can't you love that?
You can't even batch convert Photos on iPad...
And you can't even shoot photos with a MacBook and it's 480p FaceTime camera. You need to buy a separate digital camera and than import the photos like an animal. Instead of point&shoot and reshoot if the photo wasn't good the first time. Also the MacBook has no LTE, so you may not even have Internet to send and show the photo to someone via iMessage. I'm done with handling my photos before your laptop even booted.

Last edited:

AFEPPL

macrumors 68030
Sep 30, 2014
England
Every computer system is a compromise each with it's own priorities. A compromise isn't always something bad, a good compromise weighs two conflicting priorities and tries to reach the most of both. Compromises are what made the iPhone even possible. Something had to give, to make handheld computers possible. Apple choose it's priorities and compromises with the iPhone so wisely, that customers made them the most valuable technology company in history. So have a little respect for a compromised device!
Differences aren't compromises, they are just differences. You got to ignore them. A software keyboard versus a hardware keyboard is a compromise. It is arguably harder to type on, but you also get something in return for omitting the physical keys. First of all, a laptop isn't easier to work on your knee, it is dependent on a knee to support it's weight. It is too heavy to work as a handheld device for a sustained period of time and therefore has to rest on your knee or lap, hence the name lap-top. A tablets weight is way easier to hold and to maneuver, even without the help of desks or laps. That's a benefit as valuable as what made laptops replace desktops and desktops replace mainframes. Mankind has chosen portability over performance again and again. And the A9X review suggests, it isn't even that big of a compromise anymore.

Some compromises are not worth making and the scale of what you call a compromise is subjective at best..

I could take a microlight to fly East to West coast North America, or i could take an airliner, it may not be as portable, but it's certainly more suited to most peoples needs just like a laptop. However, those that want to take a microlight i welcome their steely endeavours... and I'm not trying to change peoples views, but articles like the above are not comparing apples to apples.. (slight pun intended)..

Gudi

Suspended
May 3, 2013
Berlin, Berlin
Some compromises are not worth making
I know, that's why I cleansed my home of all Windows boxes. I'm normally a very stingy shopper saving every cent, but when it comes to computers it's not worth it for me. I either buy Apple or nothing.
I'm not trying to change peoples views, but articles like the above are not comparing apples to apples.. (slight pun intended)..
Well I am comparing Apples to Apples and Macs to iPads and one iPad to another. It's incredible to read about these performance gains in just one year from iPad Air 2 (A8X) to iPad Pro (A9X). And which OS feature may require which hardware in the future. It's kinda hard to pinpoint the best moment to buy for each product line, but that's what MacRumors is for. I'm still optimizing my shopping habits for the best compromise possible.

Makosuke

macrumors 604
Aug 15, 2001
The Cool Part of CA, USA
I just don't understand then, why not use a macbook air, or comparable mac laptop as a primary computing device, even for simple tasks? [...] If you want a small media consumption device get an ipad air 2, a giant tablet running ios is a very compromised primary computing machine that doesn't work as an adequate laptop/tablet replacement.
In regards to the MacBook Air, an iPad is a factor of 2-3 cheaper, lighter, requires substantially less upkeep, has a larger software ecosystem for many consumer desires, and if your use case is kicking back on the couch and flicking through Facebook, watching some video, or sending some texts, it's a more comfortable device to use than even the lightest laptop because it doesn't have the fiddly, rarely-used keyboard dangling off it. You can also use it comfortably without needing to rest it on something to work a trackpad.

Using my nephew as an example, he has a clamshell keyboard case and uses it exactly like a little netbook when typing papers or longer emails, and leaves the case at home if he's out and about and wants it to be lighter. Using my mother-in-law as an example, I don't think she would ever be able to grasp the use of a trackpad or keyboard--it took some teaching to just get the basic hang of a touchscreen.

In the same way you see a keyboard (and maybe trackpad) as a huge plus, many people who are not you see it as a peripheral that's completely unnecessary most of the time. Typing texts a little slower (if they even are--just because I touch-type fast on a keyboard doesn't mean everyone does) is a no-brain tradeoff.

From an OS standpoint, it's the same--for you and me, direct file manipulation, being able to install kernel extensions, ability to download software from anywhere, being able to directly access /Library and ~/Library are big advantages. For other people, all those things could easily be seen as unnecessary or a disadvantage.

Do not underestimate the draw of an appliance for someone who is not a tech professional. Sure, MacOS is reliable, but any troubleshooting or maintenance on iOS can be easily performed by someone with no tech knowledge. Troubleshooting consists of "turn it off and back on. If that doesn't work, do a restore." Maintenance consists of "tap update". Install software? Tap "Get" or "buy" in the App Store. Uninstall software? Long tap and tap the X. That's it. There's nothing else to learn or do to keep it running. Speaking as a tech pro, no version of the MacOS (or Windows) has ever been that easy to deal with, and I routinely get paid $40-50/hr to fix things on a Mac or Windows that will simply never be an issue on iOS.

It's like the difference between console and PC gaming. PC gamers can't see why you'd ever want an underpowered console and controller when you could be using a computer and superior keyboard/mouse control. Console gamers, of whom there are also millions, don't want to bother with graphics card driver updates and upgrading their GPU and would rather just spend $350 for a gaming system that they can just stick a disk in or select a download from the online store, pick up a controller on the couch, and they can trust to work reliably and have plenty of software for probably 5 years. It says "you need an update" once in a while, you select "ok".

Now, whether the iPad Pro is a viable product niche, I can't say. Time will tell. But when you say it's a "very compromised primary computing machine that doesn't work as an adequate laptop/tablet replacement", what you're really saying is "It makes compromises in the way I want to use a primary computing machine, and it doesn't work as an adequate laptop/tablet replacement for me." Just because you don't see the use case, doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

And maybe the iPad Pro isn't, or never will be, a professional primary computer, but even if that's true there could still be a market for it as a secondary machine for pros. Actually, if you're a digital artist, it probably already is.

JimmyHook

macrumors 6502a
Apr 7, 2015
still worthless without OSX on it, mouse support, etc
Nobody wants a mouse on an iPad. Period. That would be an epic fail
[doublepost=1453594101][/doublepost]The PC crowd that talks about "real work" and "full desktop apps" is getting ridiculous. Times are changing. The future is almost here. Nobody will care about those distinctions within 2 years

Reactions: rbrian and bmustaf

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
I'm sorry but virtual machines will not run on ARM.

I don't see how spec wise Apple's own processors are faster when u have Intel which is already up to 3.2Ghz already..

U can't take a old Celeron and magically make it run as fast as a Pentium 4 can.

Now i know why they only compared it to mobile processors.

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
I'm sorry but virtual machines will not run on ARM.

I don't see how spec wise Apple's own processors are faster when u have Intel which is already up to 3.2Ghz already..

U can't take a old Celeron and magically make it run as fast as a Pentium 4 can.

Now i know why they only compared it to mobile processors.

Comparing a fanless processor to one with a fan is unrealistic.

maxsix

Suspended
Jun 28, 2015
Western Hemisphere
Very true.

No matter what, Apple has the strongest most influential marketing of any company in the tech sector. They're obviously very committed to convincing everyone that they must have an iPad. With Apple's advertising and endless supply of cash, they'll just keep hammering away till they get the sales volume they're looking for.

Mago

macrumors 68030
Aug 16, 2011
Beyond the Thunderdome
I disagree with all said about ARM replacing x86, at least in Short / mid term.

There are few true facts about ARM: efficiency measured in benchmark /watt, ARM cortex A72 beats INTEL, but Intel current Xeon D1451 Beats ARM cortex A53 in performance/watt, Intel is close to launch Xeon Phi Kingslanding let's see how this Chip rises the bar on performance/watt, while not a consumer product Xeon Phi s use to show an preview on this regard.

But what about raw single thread performance (the most valuable performance on any platform since is the only available for every application, since multi thread performance it's restricted to specific applications), ARM still a long way to reach Intel's I7-6700K, That's the truth, and while an evolution on the ARM cortex could theoretically reach the I7-6700K single thread performance, when this cortex iteration will be available it's very likely either Intel or AMD just rises the bar further beyond the ARM reach. (google about AMDs new ZEN architecture performance).

But on long term thee are other complications, and is integration, right now we reached the 10nm cpu process, theorics are confident its possible to reach 6nm also 4nm until it's impossible to miniaturize more the transistors. When we reach this point is when ARM definitely will rule both on performance and efficiency since there is no way at the same scale x86 would beat ARM, At this point Intel needs to resurrect ia64 itanium and get it current (ia64 is an WISC architecture different to RISC (ARM, PowerPC) and CISC (x86) theoretically WISC can beat RISC on every scenario).

What's cues we have on this future? Amazon's Annapurna and AMD are focused on ARM for servers soon will reach Intel Xeon with an performance/watt server cpu (still no cortex A72 sever cpu) , the future on server farms seems fated to be ruled soon by ARM Unless Intel's Skylake Xeon raises the performance/watt bar enough.

Another, AMD next socket AM4 will target both desktop, servers cpu/apu and both x86 and ARM cpu, evidence AMD mid term strategy could include desktop ARM APUs, also is know AMD could be developing an custom APU based on ZEN and Fiji which seems was commissioned by Apple for 2017 iMac Mac mini and maybe Mac Pro (ZEN cpu contemplates workstation and server high performance cpu).

Intel seems (only seems) doomed, but the history has shown Intel's lead and capacity to ground breaking is awesome, just needed some stimulus to abandon the comfort zone they got from AMD debacle on past years, Intel biggest hole is on the GPU area notwithstanding the big advances they have they still far away to be capable to fight AMD or nVidia, AMD owns a clear advantage for future APU having ATI assets but Intel doesn't their gpu are years beyond AMD and nVidia, this suggests Intel could fusion with nVidia (or buy nVidia), also there is the ia64(or something WISC) resurrection card at least on servers, I will not be surprised to watch an announcement on this regard this or the next year about nVidia acquisition and itanium ia64 resurrection.

On long term Intel needs both something like ia64 WISC and nVidia's GPU tech to maintain leadership.

Last edited:

JGRE

macrumors 65816
Oct 10, 2011
Dutch Mountains
Then be more clear! You really can't get irritated with people for "not getting it" when you are vague.

The discussion is bringing the A-series processor to the OSX platform. This doesn't mean that the keyboard the trackpad en de mouse will be replaced by touch screens, I so, you just would have a tablet and we already have them today.
The point is just when we might expect Apple replacing the intel processor with an A-series processor keeping all other things equal.

PS: you are not the only one, the whole thread is going south with discussing the difference between tables versus MacBooks and iMacs.......

Keirasplace

macrumors 601
Aug 6, 2014
Montreal
And Apple would have a tough time getting all the app developers to add support for ARM, plus they would lose the ability to run Windows apps.

How would it be "hard", they just have to provide the tool to cross compile, or do it themselves, which it seems to be the way they are going for right now.

Providing ability to run native windows apps is only really important in their top end machines, not their ultra portables.
Those low end machines are the ones they'd be most likely to replace; or maybe not replace, just provide a concurrent version of that's $200 less because they don't have to pay for the Intel chip.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.