Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

What effect has the iPad had on your computer use, pick all that apply.

• Replaced my LAPTOP!

Votes: 33 12.7%
  • Hardly ever use my laptop now!

Votes: 64 24.7%
  • Noticed I don't use my laptop as much

Votes: 86 33.2%
  • No change at all in my laptop usage

Votes: 39 15.1%
  • Replaced my DESKTOP!

Votes: 5 1.9%
  • Hardly ever use my desktop now!

Votes: 22 8.5%
  • Noticed I don't use my desktop as much

Votes: 36 13.9%
  • No change at all in my desktop usage

Votes: 45 17.4%

• Total voters

ixodes

macrumors 601
Jan 11, 2012
Pacific Coast, USA
My iPad 3 is fun to use as another way to access the web for casual use. In no way does it reduce the way I use my laptop Macs or my Mac Pro.

Apple can sell their vision of the Post PC Era all they want. It's totally irrevalent when it comes to my workflow. In fact, every other engineer in my group has an iPad for fun. They're great.

I can see where they might replace a computer for consumers, but it's going to be quite some time (if ever) before they replace a full blown computer for serious design, scientific, fluid / thermal dynamics & a host of other computational work.

APlotdevice

macrumors 68040
Sep 3, 2011
Prior to getting my iPad...
Laptop = 75%
Desktop = 25%

...After...
Laptop = 0%
Desktop = 15%*
iPad = 85%

*there are two reasons I don't use my desktop as often anymore: First, even though the capacitive touchscreen isn't as good as my Wacom tablet, it's adequate for much of my vector work; And second, the iPad, thanks to hardware acceleration, actually handles 720p videos better then my antiquated laptop did.

smallnshort247

macrumors 6502a
Oct 23, 2010
Here's my little story. My main computer was the 15 inch MacBook pro. I really wanted a dual monitor display, so a bit down the line I bought a Mac mini. After getting that true dual monitor display that I wanted, I found that I really wasn't using my MacBook pro as much anymore. It was a bit too large and heavy too, so I decided to sell my MacBook pro on Craigslist before a new model came out. So I was basically laptop less from Christmas all the way till the iPad launch. I was a bit skeptical not knowing if an iPad could do want I need in a portable computing device but I quickly found that it got the job done. Now I'm not sure if I even need a MacBook air anymore.

Selmir

macrumors regular
Mar 31, 2012
Sweden
I use a bit more my iPad 2, but not in everything. For example all those advanced pages on the net who contains JavaScript or Flash, then I use my Dell N5010. And I can't have MS Office 2010 Enterprise too hehe :D But yes, to check something faster I open my iPad who is turned on 24/7 rather than my laptop who is turned off when I get back from work.

unobtainium

macrumors 68030
Mar 27, 2011
It takes a lot longer to do a lot of things on the iPad - such as writing an essay, updating a spreadsheet, figuring out how to convert a video file (if that's even possible), etc. So for all of those tasks, I go to my MBP. The iPad is very nice for reading, though, and that's mostly how I use it.

Thinking of selling my MBP and buying an iMac for serious work. The iPad would then be my primary "on-the-go" device. Just not sure how convenient it would be with only 64GB of storage and the necessity of a wireless keyboard to do any real typing.

APlotdevice

macrumors 68040
Sep 3, 2011
I use a bit more my iPad 2, but not in everything. For example all those advanced pages on the net who contains JavaScript or Flash, then I use my Dell N5010. And I can't have MS Office 2010 Enterprise too hehe :D But yes, to check something faster I open my iPad who is turned on 24/7 rather than my laptop who is turned off when I get back from work.

The iPad supports JavaScript. Did you mean Java? (despite the similar names, the two are essentially unrelated.)

Virgo

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
I feel like before the iPad it was normal to have a desktop at home and a laptop for portable usage. Now I basically keep my laptop at home set up as a desktop, and grab the iPad when I need something portable. Easier to throw in a bag, lighter, don't have to worry about opening and closing a huge clamshell in small places, instant on.. What could be better?

whtrbt7

macrumors 65816
Jun 8, 2011
We are almost at the brink of replacing the laptop completely with the iPad. My desktop units are all servers so I don't normally use them because I like the flexibility of mobility. My laptops are all 15 inch MBPs which connect to the desktop units for media and storage. The MBPs are however necessary for photo editing, logo creation, scripting websites, Terminal, photo project management/workflow, conversion tech, and vmware. I read and reply to e-mails via the iPad and do about 80% of my work on the iPad. I just can't replace the photography and website stuff completely on the iPad just yet. It's getting really close however.

iWantThat

macrumors member
Oct 15, 2011
When I had an iPad 2 and my Macbook I used the Macbook about 90% of the time. Now with the 3rd generation iPad and my Macbook things have flipped and I'm using the iPad 90% of the time. The iPad's screen is just so drastically better to read text on.

drober30

macrumors 6502a
Jul 5, 2007
It's so simple:

For some the iPad can replace a laptop

For others it will not. For those that it does not, it's easy to predict that they will use one of their other devices, laptop or desktop, less.

However, an iPad does not replace the need for a laptop/desktop for many things, one being my ability to upgrade my software in my Ford from syncmyride.com. That's just one of many examples that an iPad just can't do and when it can, it won't so much be an iPad anymore as it will be a new version of a laptop.

techkidd4400

macrumors regular
Jul 18, 2007
For me, there are still applications I use that do not run on iOS so I need my MacBook Pro. I also don't really use cloud computing that much so I store my music files, programming files and documents on the MBP. Even so, I use the MBP a lot less often than I did before I had an iPad, and I think that is going to continue.

MrXiro

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2007
Los Angeles
Got rid of laptop but I have an iMac I use plenty as well. iMac does heavy lifting iPad is my portable surfing/email machine.

Caliber26

macrumors 68020
Sep 25, 2009
Orlando, FL
I have an iMac that basically just sits on my desk, to house all of my data. I only use it to sync new stuff to my iPhone and iPad about once a week. I would say that 98% of my computer use consists of surfing the web, email, and Facebook, so between my iPad and iPhone I'm more than covered for everyday use.

riveting

macrumors 6502
Mar 11, 2009
Wow, how can your guys all replace 80%+ of work on your computer with Ipad?

If some one to figure out a way to write latex papers on ipad and matlab simulations, maybe I can replace all my computer with ipad. Right now I have a HP touchpad and only used it maybe 5% of my computer use just for browsing, email and reading books. I'll see if my order of Ipad 3 can get increased usage

Selmir

macrumors regular
Mar 31, 2012
Sweden
The iPad supports JavaScript. Did you mean Java? (despite the similar names, the two are essentially unrelated.)

I got to a weird page where it said "No JavaScript support" and first I thought "What the F". But it might also been that whoever created that page wrote wrong.

I think it was supposed to stand "No Java support". :p
Also when I visit Volkswagen.se or Seat.se I can't use those pages on my iPad, but that's because they use flash. Really annoying that big companies as VW and Seat cannot create homepage for all units, especially iPads where we have millions and millions of them by now.

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
My casual/personal use is a perfect match for a tablet. My professional needs require a notebook (or desktop).

There's of course some overlap since I consider email part of my professional tools and I use the iPad for a decent amount of communication ... I also use my notebook for personal video editing.

There's also the experience to consider. There's something amazing and engaging about using a thin, touch device, sitting on the sofa, but there's an "effiency" to a mouse, physical KB and a 27" display.

So I guess my answer is I rarely use my notebook for casual use now (away from my desk), so that’s probably a good 2+ hours a day I’ve gone from MBP to iPad use.

Carouser

macrumors 65816
Feb 1, 2010
I can see where they might replace a computer for consumers, but it's going to be quite some time (if ever) before they replace a full blown computer for serious design, scientific, fluid / thermal dynamics & a host of other computational work.

So? This just moves the goalposts so the iPad is perpetually treated like a half-blown computer. You could also say it will also be some time before any desktop computer can do what supercomputers of the same time period can do (i.e. never).

Pravda

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2008
Philly
The ability to use safari extensions in Macs OS is one of the major reasons I go back to my MBP or MacMini.

That and I'm still not that good at typing on the iPad, which I do believe will improve the more I use the iPad.

Really would be nice if Apple allowed safari extensions in iOS.

Wrathwitch

macrumors 65816
Dec 4, 2009
Tough call but I think I can sum up for me:

Desktop iMac 27" is still King and always will be.

MacBook Air 13" was purchased in case something happens to my iMac, I need a fully functioning temporary machine to do everything that I can do on my iMac until it gets repaired. I also require it to be portable.

However,

I do use my iPad as a go to device for random surfing if I am lazing in bed, I play games on it and it is my streaming direction from my iMac to my Apple TV.

kazmac

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2010
Any place but here or there....
now with school kaput

things will probably change...Office, Final Draft and the ability to rip dvds with Handbrake etc. are still the reason why I use my desktop a bit more.

However, since I've kicked the writing school bucket for the time being, this only leaves Word & Handbrake.

I will say the dictation on the ipad could be a serious game changer for me, I love it and it's very useful (even when it isn't 100% accurate). I do enjoy reading and watching dvds/clips etc on the iPad, but I am still using the desktop more. I may start using dictation for emails and stuff...my angry birds consumption has dropped a bit with the monetary etc. changes made to AB Space (incomplete game etc.), but I'll probably still play AB Seasons during a delayed commute.

When Word becomes an app and I can rip dvds to my iPad, that's when the desktop will go bye bye. I look forward to this actually... less is more for me.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.