Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

manhattanboy

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 25, 2007
In ur GF's bed, Oh no he didn't!
Engadget has been tipped off that the iPads will be coming to Target in time for holiday sales.
target-ipad-09-12-2010.jpg

It's not quite the definitive proof that some boxes spotted in the wild would be, but a tipster has sent us a few pieces of a puzzle that seem to suggest that Apple could be expanding the iPad's retail presence into Target stores just in time for the holiday shopping season. That includes a list featuring a mysteriously unnamed product that's set to become available on October 3rd (in six different versions, no less), and a series of images from a Target PDA (like the one pictured above) that seemingly show that the item numbers match the iPad prices exactly, and that it will be located in the Digital Audio section -- that's apparently also how e-readers like the Kindle are classified, in addition to iPods. Smoking gun? Not exactly, but it's certainly enough to get us to keep our eye on this one.
Link Here

MacConvert07

macrumors member
Mar 26, 2008
Upstate NY
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

Target is huge in my neck of the woods. If this is true they'll see 3.2 million more really fast. Especially with FaceTime.

saving107

macrumors 603
Oct 14, 2007
San Jose, Ca
other than the price tag being the same as a 32gb iPad ($599), I don't see how you can conclude with that photo that the iPad is coming to target this fall?

am I missing something?

spillproof

macrumors 68020
Jun 4, 2009
USA
More big box stores. I see the positive aspects, but I don't like it. Then again, Tar-Zhay is the rich folks WalMart.

Corbin052198

macrumors 6502
Mar 13, 2010
Wirelessly posted (Opera/9.80 (iPhone; Opera Mini/5.0.019802/20.2463; U; en) Presto/2.5.25)

This sounds good.

Built

macrumors 68020
Oct 3, 2007
Los Angeles
If they can sell the iPhone 4 at Radio Shack and Walmart, then why not the iPad at the arguably more pleasant Target?

Good move in time for Christmas.

RalfTheDog

macrumors 68020
Feb 23, 2010
Lagrange Point
I am sure the brilliantly trained sales staff at Target will have all the skills and knowledge to help users make an informed purchase. Perhaps this will help move some of the massive overstock Apple has.

justinfreid

macrumors 6502a
Nov 24, 2009
NEW Jersey / USA
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A306 Safari/6531.22.7)

saving107 said:
other than the price tag being the same as a 32gb iPad ($599), I don't see how you can conclude with that photo that the iPad is coming to target this fall?

am I missing something?

It's not even the same price as the iPad- the image shows $599.99, the iPad, as is typical with Apple products, is $599 flat. Just don't say it's six hundred dollars.

saving107

macrumors 603
Oct 14, 2007
San Jose, Ca
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A306 Safari/6531.22.7)

It's not even the same price as the iPad- the image shows $599.99, the iPad, as is typical with Apple products, is $599 flat. Just don't say it's six hundred dollars.

good eye.

ovrlrd

macrumors 65816
Aug 29, 2009

Yeah I am not sure this image means anything either, especially with that price point which tells us nothing about what it is. There is a part blocked out in the photo but I just assume that's the store number or something else that would give away the person who took the photo. Seems like just pointless "filler" news.

Darkashnet

macrumors regular
Jul 15, 2010
Anyone know what resellers (like Target) would buy the iPads for? They have to make a profit but resellers have to sell at Apples prices...

Master Chief

macrumors 6502a
Mar 5, 2009
Having the iPad at more stores is a good thing, but one has to wonder what it means in terms of sale numbers.

This far we know that Apple sold 3.2 million units, and that it ships within 24 hour from the Apple store – so it's either not selling this well, or production is simply outperforming the product sales. Which in the end also means, well sort of, that it isn't selling that well after all. At least not as well as the iPhone 4. So was my contact at LG right all the time?

This may be as well explain why Apple didn't give out yet another PR kick-to-the-teeth to its competitors: "We've sold over 5/10 million of iPads in...". It surely is cocky enough to do so, but yeah. Maybe this shows it. Making it possible for Apple to add another store chain, just to get rid of the pile of stocked iPad's.

I as stock holder hope to be wrong. And I will gladly eat my words, but the facts ain't lying to me. Nope.

Steve said it himself; There are over 230.000 iOS devices activated per day. Which makes 6.9 million units per month. Don't get me wrong here, because that is a great number, but there are a number of indicators that one of the [other] iOS devices isn't selling that well, anymore.

Also. Let's not forget that the iPad is now available in many more countries, and thus even if Apple sold 3.2 million iPads'... it was in need of all the extra countries to do so. It was unable to do so with the US stores only!

We've also learned that Foxconn produced at least 3.3 million iPhone's last month – assuming they had a 5 day week, which may as well be 6 days to get the product out of the door quicker – and thus that leaves 3.6 million iOS unit activations for all other iDevice. The question remains if the iPad is eating into the iPod touch sales, or not. This may be true, but we'll find out soon enough... when Steve shows up on stage again.

jayducharme

macrumors 601
Jun 22, 2006
The thick of it
I'm not sure why Target would begin selling the iPad on October 3. What's special about that date? Would we see refreshed models at that time? It seems odd that a big retailer would begin selling a product just before it's about to be outdated. Maybe there really is an overstock.

TraceyS/FL

macrumors 601
Jan 11, 2007
North Central Florida

am I missing something?

There are 6 place holders of the right prices in the PDA according tp what I read on engadget last night.

It's a good holiday move, I'm assuming supply has ramped enough to start adding in more of the iPod resellers.

rhinosrcool

macrumors 68000
Sep 5, 2009
MN
To me, the date is really odd. The ios4 update won't happen until Nov. Would Apple really have a big store sell these a month before that?

If the iPad isn't selling as well as projected, in the next iPad upgrade, they will probably add some great features. Apple is committed to making the iPad a success.

belvdr

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2005

Yes it is. Best Buy does the same thing for the iPad, as well as iPods.

ScottNWDW

macrumors 65816
Jul 10, 2008
Orlando, Florida
Yeah I am not sure this image means anything either, especially with that price point which tells us nothing about what it is. There is a part blocked out in the photo but I just assume that's the store number or something else that would give away the person who took the photo. Seems like just pointless "filler" news.

Having worked for Target, the number (057-10-1731) that you see is the Target stock number and the series of X's is the product title. In this case:
XXXXX XXXX
APPLE IPAD

Therefore, this is a placeholder for the stockroom and it makes perfect sense that target would sell the iPad. Target sells items that are hot sellers and the iPad is one such item and makes a perfect Christmas gift alternative for anyone looking for a Kindle, Nook, sony reader, or even the iPod touch.

As for any new iPads coming out, Apple hasn't announced any new versions of an iPad so to wonder why they would be selling them when a new version is right around the corner is silly. If that were the case why would they sell any electronics, there is always a new version right around the corner.

In regards to the OS being upgraded, that would be a free download via iTunes for all iPad owners, so selling them with the current OS is perfectly fine. whether Apple is selling them or Target, it wouldn't matter.

as for the October 3rd date, I beleive that is the start of a new business quarter for Target. If you're going to be selling something as significant as the iPad, it probably makes better sense to wait for the beginning of the new quarter. For all we know, they may only be carrying it for the quarter because of the holidays.

Hamsterz

macrumors member
Sep 22, 2008

No chance its not the iPad.. look at the name

XXXXX XXXX
APPLE IPAD
edit/
Oh, sorry already got this ^^

Thanks for confirming. I have never worked at anything related to target so I just guessed using what brain power I have.

/edit

Becordial

macrumors 6502
Mar 8, 2009
Not newsworthy. They're at every big store already and I'm sure a lot more are and will be sold through there than Apple stores and online.

saving107

macrumors 603
Oct 14, 2007
San Jose, Ca
There are 6 place holders of the right prices in the PDA according tp what I read on engadget last night.

It's a good holiday move, I'm assuming supply has ramped enough to start adding in more of the iPod resellers.

The reason I asked, "Am I missing something" earlier was because 9to5mac, AppleInsider, Engadget and Macrumors are all posting the same one photo from the PDA, but I have yet to see an image of the alleged 6 place holders all showing the correct pricing for the current 6 iPads that Apple sells.

Now I'm not saying that its not true, Engadget does say that they received "A series of photos from a Target PDA", but I've only seen the one, so I'm going to hold judgement.

FYI, Oct 3rd falls on a Sunday

TraceyS/FL

macrumors 601
Jan 11, 2007
North Central Florida
The reason I asked, "Am I missing something" earlier was because 9to5mac, AppleInsider, Engadget and Macrumors are all posting the same one photo from the PDA, but I have yet to see an image of the alleged 6 place holders all showing the correct pricing for the current 6 iPads that Apple sells.

Now I'm not saying that its not true, Engadget does say that they received "A series of photos from a Target PDA", but I've only seen the one, so I'm going to hold judgement.
makes sense. A lot of people were sounding like they hadn't read the article and were just looking at the picture posted.

I would assume all the pics would show up at some point....

FYI, Oct 3rd falls on a Sunday
new add day, and someone said new quarter.... Perfect fit?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.