Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Psychicbob

Cancelled
Original poster
Oct 2, 2018
Some pretty legit reviews appearing about circa 3 hour battery life when gaming on iPhone 12/12 Pro. Poor optimisation on the part of the games or impact of small battery? Anyone with first hand experience of this?

Had to edit post as many replies seemed to think I expected gaming not to drain battery life. I do expect it to but some tests have indicated it is far worse than on 11 range.

Last edited:
Reactions: MacRealist91

HEK

macrumors 68040
Sep 24, 2013
US Eastern time zone
Gaming is a plug in sport in my opinion. CPU cranking out, GPU cranking out, usually have screen turned up brighter, and now add radio chip slamming the firewall, yeah definitely plugged in to power adapter or add on battery pack. Even when I play online with MacBook Pro I need to stay plugged in if I want to play more than an hour. Nice part, as winter setting in, gaming makes for a nice heater.

people have dedicated gaming machines, liquid cooled, that dim the neighborhood lights and you complaining that a phone eats up battery power? Bet it gets hot as well. Need to be sitting on thermal cooling pad and plugged in to keep from being throttled back.

tekchic

macrumors 68020
Apr 19, 2010
Phoenix, AZ
Fortnite (RIP) was always a pretty horrible battery hog on both my XS Max and iPad Pro 2018. I could clear through about 8% of my battery in 20 minutes of playing (60fps on XS Max, 120fps on iPad Pro). Play for an hour or two and it's probably down to the 50's or less. The most modern games are going to generate a lot of heat and eat battery regardless.

I played plugged in for the most part when I did play Fortnite on iOS (although some say you get fps drops when plugged in). These days with Apple Arcade my iPhone/iPad heat up and eat battery but it depends on the game. Some are worse than others.

You're not gonna get 8hrs straight out of any phone gaming.

Psychicbob

Cancelled
Original poster
Oct 2, 2018
Gaming is a plug in sport in my opinion. CPU cranking out, GPU cranking out, usually have screen turned up brighter, and now add radio chip slamming the firewall, yeah definitely plugged in to power adapter or add on battery pack. Even when I play online with MacBook Pro I need to stay plugged in if I want to play more than an hour. Nice part, as winter setting in, gaming makes for a nice heater.

people have dedicated gaming machines, liquid cooled, that dim the neighborhood lights and you complaining that a phone eats up battery power? Bet it gets hot as well. Need to be sitting on thermal cooling pad and plugged in to keep from being throttled back.
No complaints here. Reread my post. I was asking if any new owners had noticed this.

tonybarnaby

macrumors 68020
Dec 3, 2017
As a lifelong gamer since the NES, I have never understood phone gaming. If you wanna play golf clash or something for a bit I get that, but gaming for hours at a time on a phone just doesn’t make a ton of sense. People use Xbox controllers on their galaxy note phones. At that point, why not get a console?

LFC2020

macrumors P6
Apr 4, 2020
Don’t know how much you should read into these YouTube battery test, since no one uses their phone the way they run these battery test.

Phone arena done a gaming battery test on the 12s vs 11 pro, the 11 pro came out well on top during gaming.

Maybe games aren’t optimized properly for the 12s yet.

Attachments

• BE5F3B6D-A1AD-4A2F-AA3E-D1B3962CCC82.jpeg
    BE5F3B6D-A1AD-4A2F-AA3E-D1B3962CCC82.jpeg
    51.2 KB · Views: 423

Septembersrain

Cancelled
Dec 14, 2013
Don’t know how much you should read into these YouTube battery test, since no one uses their phone the way they run these battery test.

Phone arena done a gaming battery test on the 12s vs 11 pro, the 11 pro came out well on top during gaming.

Maybe games aren’t optimized properly for the 12s yet.

Really good point! A lot of games wouldn't be updated yet as I've seen many wait until all devices are available so they can optimize for all different screen sizes at once.

Reactions: LFC2020

HEK

macrumors 68040
Sep 24, 2013
US Eastern time zone
Fortnite (RIP) was always a pretty horrible battery hog on both my XS Max and iPad Pro 2018. I could clear through about 8% of my battery in 20 minutes of playing (60fps on XS Max, 120fps on iPad Pro). Play for an hour or two and it's probably down to the 50's or less. The most modern games are going to generate a lot of heat and eat battery regardless.

I played plugged in for the most part when I did play Fortnite on iOS (although some say you get fps drops when plugged in). These days with Apple Arcade my iPhone/iPad heat up and eat battery but it depends on the game. Some are worse than others.

You're not gonna get 8hrs straight out of any phone gaming.
Sitting naked phone on bag of frozen peas really keeps the thermals down. added benefit if you play long enough, you can open pea bag and eat the cooked peas. o_O

Stolz25

macrumors regular
May 14, 2012
As a lifelong gamer since the NES, I have never understood phone gaming. If you wanna play golf clash or something for a bit I get that, but gaming for hours at a time on a phone just doesn’t make a ton of sense. People use Xbox controllers on their galaxy note phones. At that point, why not get a console?

Agreed. I like some games that work on on iphone like tower defense type, but when I play Fortnite I get on the PC. I’ve never understood gaming on the phone like that, especially when most of the people doing it probably already have a console.

tekchic

macrumors 68020
Apr 19, 2010
Phoenix, AZ
Sitting naked phone on bag of frozen peas really keeps the thermals down. added benefit if you play long enough, you can open pea bag and eat the cooked peas. o_O
I have done this! Except for eating the peas haha.

And for the record I have PS2/3/4, Switch, Wii, Vita, 3DS, and a gaming rig. I actively game on the PC, PS4, Switch, and Vita still (rarely 3DS now).

I've just always enjoyed playing Fortnite with touch on my iPad -- before I was forced to convert to PC, I had a 35% win rate in duos. I've made the switch and am loving building on a PC due to the speed, but I'm still not as good as I was on iPad.

I loathe freemium games, but I do enjoy Apple Arcade / premium story-driven adventures mostly on my iPad/XS Max due to portability. Especially in the before times when I had to go into the office, it was nice to hide in the car over lunch and game on iPad / XS Max.

Renho

macrumors 68030
Sep 15, 2014
SR, CA
Agreed. I like some games that work on on iphone like tower defense type, but when I play Fortnite I get on the PC. I’ve never understood gaming on the phone like that, especially when most of the people doing it probably already have a console.

Gaming on the road in cars, busses, long rides etc...I mean phones are meant for portable. But that gaming test done and the 11 pro lasting twice as long than the 12 basically says something is wrong you know...

Stolz25

macrumors regular
May 14, 2012
Gaming on the road in cars, busses, long rides etc...I mean phones are meant for portable. But that gaming test done and the 11 pro lasting twice as long than the 12 basically says something is wrong you know...

Well we already knew the battery was smaller on the 12. I would guess that most of your chip optimization they made to save battery isn’t in effect when you are doing heavy tasks like gaming. I agree it’s not good, but it’s also not completely unexpected.

I’m a person who would take a heavier/thicker phone for more battery anyway. And yet every year the batter gets smaller it seems like.

Caesars

macrumors 6502
May 16, 2013
I’ve ended up gaming on my 11ProMax and using my 12 as a normal phone (sadly), hopefully Apple will release the SBC so I won’t have to lug around two phones.

Reactions: max2 and Psychicbob

Renho

macrumors 68030
Sep 15, 2014
SR, CA
Well we already knew the battery was smaller on the 12. I would guess that most of your chip optimization they made to save battery isn’t in effect when you are doing heavy tasks like gaming. I agree it’s not good, but it’s also not completely unexpected.

I’m a person who would take a heavier/thicker phone for more battery anyway. And yet every year the batter gets smaller it seems like.
I think if your a max user, you want big and MORE battery. It’s a shame others are at 5,000mah and we can’t even get a 4,000. Imagine having a phone that you don’t need to charge for 2 days! Wishful thinking!

Reactions: max2 and Psychicbob

Joho2078

macrumors 6502a
May 20, 2019
Unless you have the fold 2 like me

edhchoe

macrumors 65816
Oct 28, 2011
Did you game overnight?
gaming drains battery in any phone.
but some phones lose a lot more than 1% overnight. My 12 impresses me because it loses maybe 0.5% overnight.

do you think OP should be worried that his phone lost a lot of battery because he played game?
Or should I not be impressed when my phone lost less than 1% overnight?
I think my fact is more interesting than OP's fact.

• Angry
Reactions: ehdchoe

edfoo

macrumors 6502
Oct 31, 2013
Australia
gaming drains battery in any phone.
but some phones lose a lot more than 1% overnight. My 12 impresses me because it loses maybe 0.5% overnight.

do you think OP should be worried that his phone lost a lot of battery because he played game?
Or should I not be impressed when my phone lost less than 1% overnight?
I think my fact is more interesting than OP's fact.
I think OP wants to discuss about battery performance with gaming, not about standby time or other tasks in this thread.

Reactions: max2

1rottenapple

macrumors 601
Apr 21, 2004
I had that same mentality but I started playing pubg mobile in March 2017. I was so addicted for close to 2 years and having a squad I regularly played with was awesome. So many good fun time’s in that battle royale game and I didn’t spend any money on it.
But going back to the thread “poor battery life” could be a combo of poor optimization (new hardware and new software), more powerful processor.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.