Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

georgeram

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 14, 2023
Have this iphone 13 mini for 2 years already. Battery shows 92% maximum capacity stiil so no need for battery replacement right? Now how many hours of battery do most of you get on this iphone 13 mini? Say you were to youtube a 1 hour song and play it over and over. Can you get 6 hours or is that it?

Now let say you want to use the data internet on it but tether it to your laptop. How many hours can you get on it before the phone turns off. Can most people get 5 hours or is not possible? What about if you make it low power mode? Imagine you want to use internet on your laptop but have no wifi and thus want to tether your iphone data on your laptop. On average I guess people get 3.5 hours or so? Or it probably is even less?

sunapple

macrumors 68030
Jul 16, 2013
The Netherlands
I don't think my screen on time could be longer than 4 hours on a given day, health % same as yours. Not sure about your specific examples.

I would replace battery closer to 80%, but if you desire more than you currently have then why not replace now. If you have already gotten 2 years out of it, the next two years may be the final phase. At least most people don't use their phones for much longer.

Personally I will try to extract as many years as possible out of my device. If I get less screen time, I will use my phone less. Not a bad habit at all IMO.

Alpha Centauri

macrumors 65816
Oct 13, 2020
Difficult to produce a comparable metric as all uses, screen brightness, ambient temp, Apps, etc vary significantly. I bought mine start of this year and until recently it indicated 100%, so 92% after 2 years is actually very good. I did buy Apple's MagSafe battery pack and it proved itself well for long distance flights. I think my average screen time is 4 1/2 hrs.

rocketbuc

macrumors 6502
Oct 18, 2017
I think if you tether it to your laptop and share the connection via USB, it should charge the phone while you are using the internet.

georgeram

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 14, 2023
Well the thing is if I tether the data from my iphone and connect it to my laptop to charge as well and thus it would be a wired connection, what would be the difference of that vs just using the data to tether and just connecting my iphone to the charger to an outlet and charging it that way? That is still the same thing right? However, I would be using the data from my iphone wired so it would be faster and stronger than wifi?

The thing here though is many times when I would tether data from my iphone to my laptop is because I have a power outage and no electricity. So say my laptop battery is 100% when this happens and so is my iphone 13 mini battery. Now I tether the internet from my iphone 13 mini to my laptop to use. My laptop battery would last maybe 3 hours to 3.5 hours?

But what about my phone battery? I know if you are using your phone on data and tethering it... it certainly uses more battery than when using the data by itself... is that correct? So one way would be to make the iphone on low battery mode and lower screen brightness. How many hours would you estimate I can tether my data from my iphone to my laptop where the battery on my iphone goes to zero? Certainly at least 3 hours right? But max how long is my question. Of course if you have a powerbank that is full that can be used for your iphone and also laptop, you can give more juice to it.

BenGoren

macrumors 6502
Jun 10, 2021
Well the thing is if I tether the data from my iphone and connect it to my laptop to charge as well and thus it would be a wired connection, what would be the difference of that vs just using the data to tether and just connecting my iphone to the charger to an outlet and charging it that way? That is still the same thing right? However, I would be using the data from my iphone wired so it would be faster and stronger than wifi?

Um … I think you’re seriously overthinking this.

If you have a “good enough” WiFi connection available, don’t use your phone as a mobile hotspot; just use WiFi.

If you’re using your phone as a mobile hotspot for long enough to worry about the phone’s battery life, connect it via USB to the computer. One short cable, done.

If your laptop doesn’t have enough battery to make it through a whole day without plugging in and you don’t have ready access to an outlet, buy a backup / extender battery for your laptop.

All your other concerns about rate of power use when plugging this device into that one … even if there’s a theoretical difference after untangling all the possibilities, it’s guaranteed to be negligible in the end. Like, a difference of a minute or three of battery life.

In other words, beware premature optimization. With premature optimization, you inevitably win up pouring all your resources into eking out irrelevant gains while ignoring the stuff that actually would make a difference.

b&

georgeram

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 14, 2023
Um … I think you’re seriously overthinking this.

If you have a “good enough” WiFi connection available, don’t use your phone as a mobile hotspot; just use WiFi.

If you’re using your phone as a mobile hotspot for long enough to worry about the phone’s battery life, connect it via USB to the computer. One short cable, done.

If your laptop doesn’t have enough battery to make it through a whole day without plugging in and you don’t have ready access to an outlet, buy a backup / extender battery for your laptop.

All your other concerns about rate of power use when plugging this device into that one … even if there’s a theoretical difference after untangling all the possibilities, it’s guaranteed to be negligible in the end. Like, a difference of a minute or three of battery life.

In other words, beware premature optimization. With premature optimization, you inevitably win up pouring all your resources into eking out irrelevant gains while ignoring the stuff that actually would make a difference.

b&

I am talking about if there is a power outage and I do not have wifi and thus have no electricity. Or if my internet is down but I do have electricity. So I will have to tether my data from the iphone to the laptop. But the main there is using my iphone and tethering the data for the laptop.

If I use the internet data nonstop on my laptop, how long would it be before the 100% battery on my laptop goes to 0% is what I want to know. Is it at least 3 hours? I got to assume yes? Then again if you watch a youtube video nonstop for 3 hours straight but it's on wifi... obviously it uses less battery compared to watching the same youtube video on data right?

georgeram

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 14, 2023
Anyone here tether data from their iphone 13 mini to their laptop and if so, how many hours do you get?

rocketbuc

macrumors 6502
Oct 18, 2017
@georgeram, I think if battery is a concern during an outage I would do the following:
- Deactivate Wi-Fi on both iPhone and MacBook
- Use mobile data from iPhone through USB cable
- Put both devices in low-power mode
- Buy a power bank that can power the laptop, this way you are maximizing the overall usage duration.

I think it is difficult to compare usage times as there are too many factors on both the phone and the computer that influence.

georgeram

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 14, 2023
@georgeram, I think if battery is a concern during an outage I would do the following:
- Deactivate Wi-Fi on both iPhone and MacBook
- Use mobile data from iPhone through USB cable
- Put both devices in low-power mode
- Buy a power bank that can power the laptop, this way you are maximizing the overall usage duration.

I think it is difficult to compare usage times as there are too many factors on both the phone and the computer that influence.
Well there is a power outage, there is no internet either in the apartment.

Yes making both devices in low power mode make sense.

Yes I know about the power bank for the laptop to get more battery there. But I wanted to know how much hours can I use the data on my iphone for the laptop before the iphone battery goes to 0. I mean when most people are outside all day, they have their data turned on. But they also aren't watching youtube videos or using it the entire time. So if I was using the iphone for tethering data and only using my laptop, it should be at least 3 hours right? If you make it lower power mode, a little bit more but how much more?

minimo3

macrumors 6502a
Oct 18, 2010
I’ve had mine for 2 years and battery health is at 84% even though I baby it by charging with a 5w wired charger and turn on optimized charging. Screen on time is about 3 hours at this point so on trips I have to charge about twice a day. I never travel anywhere without my Anker nano powerbank.

RoadWarrior56

macrumors regular
Oct 18, 2014
I have had a 13 Mini since launch day in 2021, and after 2+ years, my battery health is still 93%. My previous iPhone XS had worse battery life. The battery life of the 13 Mini is adequate, but not great. The day after the MagSafe battery pack was discontinued in September, I went to a nearby Target and bought one that was still in stock.

The MagSafe battery pack has been the perfect complement to the iPhone Mini. I have used it on a plane flight and for a couple of long days at a conference/convention to where battery charging during the day was not convenient, and it extended the battery life of the phone long enough to where battery capacity of the phone was not an issue. I am P.O.'ed that Apple discontinued the battery pack without a replacement. I am indifferent to whether it is lightening or USB-C, since I have chargers and cables for both connector types. I had planned to buy a MagSafe battery pack by now anyway, but I rushed my purchase as soon it it was officially discontinued.

Last edited:
Reactions: Alpha Centauri
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.