Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Prepay16

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 21, 2021
I love the 120hz, but have noticed after a few days that the screen uniformity of my 13Pro is significantly worse than my outgoing 11Pro. This is especially evident at night with low brightness (say 10% or so). For example, in Apollo the left to right, green to red tint is extremely noticeable and irritating. I am going to return this unit but may wait a few weeks (months) for the factory to improve on this. Unless this is within tolerance for OLED displays and you have to just live with it, which would really suck since I'm not looking forward to playing the panel lotto.

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    737.3 KB · Views: 6,942

uller6

macrumors 65816
May 14, 2010
My 13 mini has the exact same issue - nonuniformity with a large red area over the right side of the display! I love the phone otherwise, but I read in bed and this nonuniformity is driving me crazy. My 12 is very uniform, but overall the display has a noticeable green hue.

Reactions: slplss and !!!

Prepay16

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 21, 2021
My 13 mini has the exact same issue - nonuniformity with a large red area over the right side of the display! I love the phone otherwise, but I read in bed and this nonuniformity is driving me crazy. My 12 is very uniform, but overall the display has a noticeable green hue.
I would take a uniform screen with a slight hue over a more natural screen with uniformity issues. Can't have it all I guess!!

Dmboye01

macrumors newbie
Sep 27, 2021
I have the same issue on my 13 Pro- green shifted on the left, red on the right. Very noticeable in darker environments and lower brightness settings.
Tried to get AT&T to just replace/swap it and they are making me go through Apple. So glad I pre-ordered a "Pro" phone on day one just to get a bunk display and now have to go back to my old phone for an undetermined amount of time.
Side note trying to describe/show this issue to your generic AT&T store employee in a bright store might be the most frustrating thing I've attempted in a while, the manager said I'm imagining things and the phone is fine.

Attachments

• IMG_7754.jpg
    IMG_7754.jpg
    234.7 KB · Views: 2,399
  • IMG_7753.JPG
    IMG_7753.JPG
    187.7 KB · Views: 2,002
  • IMG_7755.JPG
    IMG_7755.JPG
    84.4 KB · Views: 2,247
Reactions: rgarjr and 5105973

Jetcat3

macrumors 6502a
May 3, 2015
Sorry to see these examples y’all. Comparing my 12 Pro with my 13 Pro in a pitch dark room at minimum brightness couldn’t have been more different. Perfect color uniformity and zero green or red tint on the 13. My 12 Pro looked like I had a green mode enabled through iOS. That green tint was a real issue with that phone. My panel is absolutely perfect so I’m sorry to see there are some bad apples out there.

BigMcGuire

Cancelled
Jan 10, 2012
My 12 Pro Max, on minimum brightness in a dark room has some uniformity issues - slight - but noticeable on sites that don't use true black. Just mentioning that I notice it every time I use Macrumors late at night with 0 brightness - but it wasn't bad and hasn't gotten worse over the life of the phone. My 12 Pro Max had a slight green hue on the left.

Bstephens

macrumors 6502
Jul 31, 2010
Sorry to see these examples y’all. Comparing my 12 Pro with my 13 Pro in a pitch dark room at minimum brightness couldn’t have been more different. Perfect color uniformity and zero green or red tint on the 13. My 12 Pro looked like I had a green mode enabled through iOS. That green tint was a real issue with that phone. My panel is absolutely perfect so I’m sorry to see there are some bad apples out there.
My 12 pro max is pretty decent with only a slight red tint towards the bottom.

Dlanod

macrumors 65816
Jul 11, 2008
UK
my 13PM is not bad (12 Pro was better) with some mild south to north shift from warm / red to colder / green - but otherwise great.....colour filters help minimise it - but apart from some lucky screens out there, I suspect it's a mass produced OLED screen issue........

Lexdexia

macrumors regular
Jan 15, 2015
I’m having a similar issue on my 13 Pro Max, the upper half of the screen when held in portrait orientation has a noticeable green-ish tint compared to the bottom half. Started noticing this problem while reading some webpages that were mostly black text on pure white background. This is rather jarring coming from an 8 Plus where I never noticed anything like it.

Haamur

macrumors member
Apr 22, 2021
My 12 is very good, 13 pro good not perfect. Right side is a bit darker, but not any major problem. I have seen both worse and better

Reactions: jjamesv

Stev150

macrumors regular
Nov 8, 2013
That’s oled for you , main reason why I’d have and glad apple went mini led iPads over oled iPads , luckily my 13 pro is really good , my 12mini was acceptable .

usman.javaid

macrumors newbie
Jan 4, 2021
There we go again…each year something with the panel. 12 series consistently had a warm tint for all devices. Is this non-uniformity and red tint fairly scarce or a common thing across all units? Hard to figure out yet I guess.

AndrewR23

Contributor
Jun 24, 2010
I downloaded Apollo and did the 5% uniformity YouTube test and no issues at all. Its very very uniform. MAYBE a tab bit darker in top right corner but I couldn't tell if my eyes were playing tricks or not

Jsee

macrumors member
Apr 29, 2021
Got the regular 13, have the same issue too but it's not as bad as the OP.
I first noticed this when I was scrolling though dark mode YouTube in a dark room and noticed that the edges of the panel was darker than the middle. It was both darker and had a red tint.

It's only noticeable if the display is under <10% brightness (Lower the worse so noticeable at 0%), with blue light filter, when grey background. Displaying other colours have no issues at all. The moment any of the three conditions aren't met then it's not as noticeable (if at all).

I'm not sure if it is normal or not, doing a google OLED panel uniformity has never been perfect, so I thought perhaps it's just a byproduct of OLED technology and not worth replacing. I suspect the people who claim they don't have any issues are either really lucky or don't meet one of the three conditions mentioned above.

I would exchange it for another, but fear the 2nd unit might be worse than the first, have heard of many horror stories regarding panel lottery haha.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.