Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

romanof

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 13, 2020
Texas
I have a new 14 pro that is about 2 months old. Works fine in replacement for my 10, except for...

So, I pull the phone from my pocket to see that the screen has zoomed. And by zoomed I mean far beyond anything that can be done with pinching fingers. The magnification is so great that only about 1/4 of a single icon can be seen. The screen will still move with a swipe somewhat, but never so much as to find a new icon.

Now the problem comes with the attempt to reboot. That screen is enormous also, with only a tiny part of the red SOS showing. Again, a swipe will only move that fragment back and forth a short ways.

So now I am holding an iPhone sitting on the emergency screen, and hoping that it is not calling 911 with me having no way to cancel. Obviously, the answer is a forced power down. Anybody remember that off the top of their head? I didn't, since I never used it before in all my years of iPhone ownership. So I will call a friend who is near a computer and ask him... oops.

Fortunately, in my 30 minute drive to find a computer it apparently didn't call anyone. Nor did it in my usage of the strange force power off sequence. Which took three or four times to work since the web page didn't inform me that the last button press has to be for a LONG time.

A strange occurance, but today it happened again and that has to stop. So, is this a known bug with a known fix, or an easy workaround? Or time to call Apple? Unfortunately, the closest Apple store is 100 miles away.

Anyone?

romanof

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 13, 2020
Texas
Sounds like you have the zoom accessibility setting turned on. Go to Settings -> Accessibility and turn off Zoom.
Yep. First thing I did (the second time.) Will see if it works, although the zoom incidents are so vastly beyond what you can do with fingers, I am not sure the problem is just accidently triggering the feature.

romanof

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 13, 2020
Texas
Yes. That is what I found to do, once I got to some place that I could search. But a phone is not a social item for me. I get and make a few calls every week, considerably more messages, and look at the weather. No apps to speak of are installed, so I never gained any deep ability to use it beyond basic communications. Macs and Linux are another story and if I had had one of those available the problem would have been solved quickly. But with nothing but the emergency screen SOS button showing, I didn't want to experiment on the road.

canuckRus

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2014
Yes. That is what I found to do, once I got to some place that I could search. But a phone is not a social item for me. I get and make a few calls every week, considerably more messages, and look at the weather. No apps to speak of are installed, so I never gained any deep ability to use it beyond basic communications. Macs and Linux are another story and if I had had one of those available the problem would have been solved quickly. But with nothing but the emergency screen SOS button showing, I didn't want to experiment on the road.
Happened to me several times, unfortunately, with my iPhone 13 mini. Cause? Unknown. Freaked out while hospitalized. Remembered parts of solution. Nurse fluked it on trying.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.