Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

janeauburn

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 22, 2015
How likely is it that the iPhone 14 Plus will remain in the iPhone lineup after the 15 is introduced in September? What's been the history of these things? Thanks.

Reactions: tranceking26

mpavilion

macrumors 65816
Aug 4, 2014
SFV, CA, USA
It’s the first of the new “Plus” phones, obv; so hard to say for sure. They kept selling the 12 Mini for a year alongside the 13 Mini, so that may be the best comparison point.

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
The 14 Plus has been selling better than the 13 mini. So yeah, the 14 Plus will stay as a cheaper option to the 15 Plus.

maerz001

macrumors 68020
Nov 2, 2010
Will for sure be available from 3rd party sellers. U still find the 11 sold new for reference

kp98077

macrumors 601
Oct 26, 2010
plus has been around in many other lines ups, I see it as almost a staple.

BeggarS

macrumors newbie
Jul 6, 2023
There will be a 15 Plus in the new range.

Apple will 'probably' continue the 14 and 14 Plus and discontinue the 14 Pro and Pro Max.

• Haha
Reactions: snipr125

janeauburn

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 22, 2015
That's good to hear, especially if the price is lowered. Not everyone wants:
  • USB-C port (I have lightning cables galore and frankly have never liked USB-C, as it's too flimsy)
  • Dynamic island (takes up more vertical screen space than the notch and is just a distraction)
For me the major selling point of the 15 will be rounded edges, as the flat edges of current models are uncomfortable. However, the lower weight of the 14 Plus vs Max makes this okay, especially w/ a decently comfortable case.

Whoever at Apple decided to make uncomfortable, square edged phones again, particularly as heavy as the phones are today, needs to be demoted.

kp98077

macrumors 601
Oct 26, 2010
  • USB-C port (I have lightning cables galore and frankly have never liked USB-C, as it's too flimsy)
  • Dynamic island (takes up more vertical screen space than the notch and is just a distraction)
For me the major selling point of the 15 will be rounded edges, as the flat edges of current models are uncomfortable. However, the lower weight of the 14 Plus vs Max makes this okay, especially w/ a decently comfortable case.

Whoever at Apple decided to make uncomfortable, square edged phones again, particularly as heavy as the phones are today, needs to be demoted.
you certainly can not beat the "low weight" of the 14 plus, I have seen a lot of people buy them lately at the Apple Store. I never use to see this, wonder why, now?

Last edited:

mpavilion

macrumors 65816
Aug 4, 2014
SFV, CA, USA

The 15 isn’t rumored to have rounded edges (at least that I’ve seen):

1689391810322.jpeg

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
This is only an issue if the phone is used without a case. The vast majority of people out there use cases and the flat sides naturally give the device an easier to grip form. I think Apple will continue with it for the foreseeable future to be honest.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it

Coming from an Xs max I’m excited. Thumbs down to usb-c although at this point I’ve come to terms with it. Thumbs up for dynamic island which I like. And thumbs up for the myriad of upgrades since the max.

one more

macrumors 601
Aug 6, 2015
Earth
They kept selling the 12 Mini for a year alongside the 13 Mini, so that may be the best comparison point.

No, they did not. They actually replaced 12 Mini with 13 Mini once iPhone 13 line came out in 2021 and then just kept on selling 13 mini (they still do) when iPhone 14 line came out last year.

ab2c4

macrumors 6502
Sep 21, 2013
This is only an issue if the phone is used without a case. The vast majority of people out there use cases and the flat sides naturally give the device an easier to grip form. I think Apple will continue with it for the foreseeable future to be honest.
Even with a case the flat sides are terrible. I tried three different cases with my 13. The only good cases that I found, and there aren’t many of them, but are the ones that actually recreate the rounded sides.

Many of the rumors I’m reading online are saying the flat sides will be done away with on the 15 lineup, thankfully.

Reactions: janeauburn

tivoboy

macrumors 68040
May 15, 2005
I have a 14 plus, hadn’t really expected to upgrade after trying the 14 pro max (which was too heavy and big, and top heavy IMHO).. but coming from my trusty 8 PLUS, the 14 PLUS is exactly the same size and weight, literally SAME and felt great but with bigger screen and current internals. Having the SAT capability is nice to just have.

I bought a 14 plus “used” from Gazelle for $550, and it was perfect. AT&T Locked (but ATT my carrier unlocked it in a week) I figured that for that money I’d be easily able to do a trade in for the 15 PLUS or possibly PRO MAX this fall and get ALMOST what I paid for it.

Why doesn’t apple show any trade in values for current phones today? Say, I’d like to buy a 14 pro max now (my god, what idiot would do that) and it won’t show any 14, 14 pro or 14 plus trade in values.

Anyway, on various third party sites the 14 PLUS 128GB is $720 ish… that seems crazy. I guess they are maybe already pricing in a $100 increase to most likely every phone, entry lines and pro lines included.

So, now to either sell it now for this amount, put that towards a 15 in 2-3 months (I could still go back to my trusty 8 plus for a few months.

I think the PLUS line though is here to stay, MANY ppl don’t need 50Megapixel images, 5x tele zooms, dynamic islands (although this appears to be coming to ALL lines this fall)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.