Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MrMister111

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 28, 2009
UK
Currently have a 14 Pro. Seen the 14 Plus today and liked the screen.

I know 14 to 15 Pro has a few extra features this year, but rumours are the 15 Plus will get a few of the 14 Pro features this year, dynamic island, Better CPU (think the current is fine anyway), maybe screen spec bump - 90Hz? 48MP camera

The biggest thing I would say is optical zoom. And the better overall camera.

I’m wondering if I do upgrade this year at all, as it’s getting too expensive to do so, with minor spec bumps, to go for 15 Plus and get bigger screen.

Expected I’d get the above so not sure if miss anything from my 14 Pro. Can’t see what the 15 Pro is bringing this year.

I know I could go 15 PM but rumoured in UK to go up in price again, and just think I’d stick with 14 Pro in that scenario, still paying on a 0% anyway.

So anyone chose the 14 Plus over the 14 Pro line? Anything you think you have missed?

HeyMazza

macrumors regular
Sep 8, 2022
Baltimore, MD
You took the thought right out of my mind this morning. I recently sold my 14 Pro and was thinking of upgrading to the 15 Plus when it comes out. I loved my Pro, which was enough for me, and with the 15 Plus maybe having the same or better features is why I may be thinking of just jumping to that version of the 15 rather than the overpriced 15 Pro this year.

blairh

macrumors 603
Dec 11, 2007

I know 14 to 15 Pro has a few extra features this year, but rumours are the 15 Plus will get a few of the 14 Pro features this year, dynamic island, Better CPU (think the current is fine anyway), maybe screen spec bump - 90Hz? 48MP camera

I’m wondering if I do upgrade this year at all, as it’s getting too expensive to do so, with minor spec bumps, to go for 15 Plus and get bigger screen.

Expected I’d get the above so not sure if miss anything from my 14 Pro. Can’t see what the 15 Pro is bringing this year.

I know I could go 15 PM but rumoured in UK to go up in price again, and just think I’d stick with 14 Pro in that scenario, still paying on a 0% anyway.

So anyone chose the 14 Plus over the 14 Pro line? Anything you think you have missed?
I absolutely love the 2000 nits provided by my 14 Pro in sunlight. Would never go back myself.

ant the ninja

macrumors 6502a
Nov 21, 2012
For me, the biggest issue would be the 60hz. After having the 120hz on the last few Pros, if I use any iPhone that's not, its extremely noticeable. However, I'm sure after maybe...an hour? of use. I wouldnt notice it anymore.

Go for what you want, I really don't think you'll be missing anything per say.

Reactions: PaladinGuy

snipr125

macrumors 68000
Oct 17, 2015
UK

I don't think the regular 15 models will even get a 90 hz screen which is a joke considering 90hz refresh is the bare minimum on every Android phone sold in the last year or so (im talking £200 Android phones). Apart from this though the regular 15 models look solid with the A16, USB C and dynamic island along with better cameras with the Plus model probably having the best battery life over the Pro Max.

KRG

macrumors 6502
Sep 12, 2015
Orange County, CA
Is your reason for wanting the new phone simply the larger screen? If that's the case, I think you're prob fine to go for the 15 Plus if you're not overly sensitive to 60Hz. Otherwise, your current 14 Pro will still be a better phone than the 15 Plus.

JediKnife

macrumors member
Dec 18, 2020
I’ve been considering a similar move; going from a 14 Pro Max to a 15 Plus for lighter weight and better battery. I do like the brightness of my 14 Pro Max for outdoors. Any rumors about what the storage tier options are going to be for the 15 and/or 15 Plus? Any chance the 15 Plus would get a brighter display like the 14 Pro Max?

MrMister111

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 28, 2009
UK
You took the thought right out of my mind this morning. I recently sold my 14 Pro and was thinking of upgrading to the 15 Plus when it comes out. I loved my Pro, which was enough for me, and with the 15 Plus maybe having the same or better features is why I may be thinking of just jumping to that version of the 15 rather than the overpriced 15 Pro this year.

What did you buy if already sold your 14 Pro?

I’m just getting a little tired of Apple increasing prices all the time and drip feeding features. I understand it’s a company, needs profits etc, I’m an Apple fan have a lot of their stuff. They increased this 14 Pro again this year from 13 Pro.

I absolutely love the 2000 nits provided by my 14 Pro in sunlight. Would never go back myself.
Yes that would be a miss actually although I don’t exactly live in the sunshine (UK), but I do think it’s a little brighter outside than past iPhones I’ve had

For me, the biggest issue would be the 60hz. After having the 120hz on the last few Pros, if I use any iPhone that's not, its extremely noticeable. However, I'm sure after maybe...an hour? of use. I wouldnt notice it anymore.

Go for what you want, I really don't think you'll be missing anything per say.
Agree totally and my point getting a little sick of prices going up and up, and not getting what most of industry has as standard for years. It would harm putting a 90Hz in now. I know they have to differentiate between standard and Pro but it’s getting ridiculous.

It’s difficult for me to really test, and anyone really if don’t have both side by side and using for more than few mins in an Apple shop. Obviously 120Hz is better, but presume your eyes just adjust on the lower after a while?

Is your reason for wanting the new phone simply the larger screen? If that's the case, I think you're prob fine to go for the 15 Plus if you're not overly sensitive to 60Hz. Otherwise, your current 14 Pro will still be a better phone than the 15 Plus.

Possibly yes, never wanted the bigger one really for pocket-ability really. My eyes are getting old so obviously bigger is better.

I hope that the 15 Plus will get dynamic island, better screen, 48MP to put it on a stronger holding against the 14 Pro but who knows

Last edited:

HeyMazza

macrumors regular
Sep 8, 2022
Baltimore, MD
I have had an iPhone SE (2022) as a spare phone since I tend to sell and buy a new phone every year. Before that, I had the older version of the SE and even an X to make sure I had something to use during the 30-45 window. This is where I think I would feel comfortable not going Pro this year, as my need for a better camera has decreased since I am trying to get into the habit to use my Sony more. Other than screen real estate, I don't have much to complain about this SE. And as someone mentioned, I think the 15 Plus may have the better and best battery life of the upcoming lineup, but will have to see. Also, there was talk about the Hz. I don't think my eyes notice the difference, maybe a little but not significantly to be like "Mhm, I need to switch back immediately".

MrMister111

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 28, 2009
UK
Comparison on MR today, the 15 Plus maybe getting 48MP, dynamic island, so it’s almost a 14 Pro.

CPU only going to a A16, it’s no slouch now in my Pro, and so that wouldn’t bother me either.

Maybe the screen brightness, and losing zoom is only thing.

Maybe I will get a 15 Plus, especially if Pro going up in price again. Any rumours of the 15/15+ going up in price to?

Paddle1

macrumors 601
May 1, 2013
I don't expect 90hz. Rumours indicate that the iPhone 17 (2025) will be when Apple brings the always on display and higher refresh rate to the standard models.

The 15 Plus sounds like a fine choice for what you're looking for.

MrMister111

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 28, 2009
UK
Still unsure. I like the camera as it’s my main camera, like most I think, now and I have too iCloud tier so easy to manage with my iMac.

Think the plus is a decent camera still, and will get upgraded from the 14. Maybe my eyes will benefit from a bigger screen to.

kp98077

macrumors 601
Oct 26, 2010
Camera will be a huge difference still I think. I tried the plus for a few weeks love battery and screen but that was it. Build quality. Screen seemed worse even tho I think it’s the same? Just seemed to smudge up for and was not as rigid. Not sure why lol

MrMister111

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 28, 2009
UK
Camera will be a huge difference still I think. I tried the plus for a few weeks love battery and screen but that was it. Build quality. Screen seemed worse even tho I think it’s the same? Just seemed to smudge up for and was not as rigid. Not sure why lol

Loved the screen or didn’t? You say did then said was worse?

Are the cameras that different? I’ve never compared so unsure I’d imagine the 15 get better cameras, maybe comparable to the 14 pro this time.

thelookingglass

macrumors 68020
Apr 27, 2005
I liked the screen but not as good as pro. Love the weight !!!!!
Camera was okay not like the pro :) not bad tho !!!

I'm really surprised by how much lighter the 14 Plus feels in the hand. I didn't expect to the difference to be that massive. On paper it doesn't seem like a lot.

Reactions: tmaxxtigger

MrMister111

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 28, 2009
UK
yes it feels like half the weight, its kinda crazy.. then in your pocket you barely know its their, Despite its large foot print.. I still think its a very underrated phone..

Yeh I’ve seen that it’s lighter, sister has a 14 and it is so much lighter than my pro.

Just hope the 15/+ this year get the dynamic, some camera upgrades and I might jump. As above sick of price increases, and really my 14 Pro is fine (although the battery is worst I’ve had).

Reactions: kp98077

geek1981

macrumors member
Sep 15, 2012
I have a 14 PM rn and looking to switch to 15 Plus, mainly for the superior battery life on Plus's. Battery life on PM's suck, I would trade in by tiny extra screen brightness for the better battery life.

MrMister111

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 28, 2009
UK
I have a 14 PM rn and looking to switch to 15 Plus, mainly for the superior battery life on Plus's. Battery life on PM's suck, I would trade in by tiny extra screen brightness for the better battery life.

Didn’t realise such a big difference. I thought they’d be the same.

My 14 Pro has had the worst battery life I’ve had on an iPhone though. Doesn’t seem to be just me either, many threads about it.

If I do switch I’m looking forward to that.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.