Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JuanMar

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 22, 2023
Hi, I bought an iPhone 14 Plus a few days ago and since I own fast-charging adapter from my previous Samsung phone, I didn't see the need to buy a new one. However, when I plug it in, the iPhone keeps to stop and start charging, like every second and never gets over 11%. Is it like incompatible, or am I missing something?

Thanks for your help.

thegerman

macrumors regular
Mar 6, 2023
Samsung charger are universal for all devices. You using the original lighting cable from the box?

spikeymike

macrumors regular
Jul 6, 2010
CA
There are disclaimers for that particular charging brick on the Samsung page saying, which could be the cause of your issue:
* Actual charging speed may also vary depending on the actual usage, charging conditions, connected devices and other factors.
** Depending on factors such as connected device, cable, and charging environment, device may not charge properly.

To do actual "fast charging" with the 14 Plus, it will require a charging brick that is at least 20 watts. I would just pick up a 20 watt charger from Apple.

Reactions: NoBoMac

JuanMar

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 22, 2023
There are disclaimers for that particular charging brick on the Samsung page saying, which could be the cause of your issue:
* Actual charging speed may also vary depending on the actual usage, charging conditions, connected devices and other factors.
** Depending on factors such as connected device, cable, and charging environment, device may not charge properly.

To do actual "fast charging" with the 14 Plus, it will require a charging brick that is at least 20 watts. I would just pick up a 20 watt charger from Apple.
Oh well, I'll buy a new one from Apple, then. Thank you all for help and cheers!

NoBoMac

Staff member
Jul 1, 2014
What @spikeymike said.

And are you sure that your Samsung brick is USB PD? Samsung does have their own "standard", Adaptive Fast Charging. NVM. Just looked up tech specs and it should be USB PD.

In the case of Qualcomm based devices, they have Quick Charge. I have a two port brick with that, one QC, other standard USB. Apple gear will not charge in the QC port.

Last edited:

JuanMar

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 22, 2023
What @spikeymike said.

And are you sure that your Samsung brick is USB PD? Samsung does have their own "standard", Adaptive Fast Charging. NVM. Just looked up tech specs and it should be USB PD.

In the case of Qualcomm based devices, they have Quick Charge. I have a two port brick with that, one QC, other standard USB. Apple gear will not charge in the QC port.
I don't really get what you're going for here...

NoBoMac

Staff member
Jul 1, 2014
I don't really get what you're going for here...
In essence, what @spikeymike said, not all chargers are interchangeable, not all cables are interchangeable.

In the case of the model number provided, conflicting info imo. Samsung has several versions of this charger, all seem to advertise USB Power Delivery, but also mention Samsung's Adaptive Fast Charging which is not USB PD. So not a big surprise that this charger is not communicating correctly with the Lightning connector and or phone (there is a chip in Lightning cables that do a fair share of the communication between widgets).

So as suggested, and seems like you will be doing, get an Apple charger. Or an Anker, as they seem to be pretty agnostic with regards to quick charging (they've been rock solid for me with Apple devices).

Reactions: bousozoku

JuanMar

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 22, 2023
In essence, what @spikeymike said, not all chargers are interchangeable, not all cables are interchangeable.

In the case of the model number provided, conflicting info imo. Samsung has several versions of this charger, all seem to advertise USB Power Delivery, but also mention Samsung's Adaptive Fast Charging which is not USB PD. So not a big surprise that this charger is not communicating correctly with the Lightning connector and or phone (there is a chip in Lightning cables that do a fair share of the communication between widgets).

So as suggested, and seems like you will be doing, get an Apple charger. Or an Anker, as they seem to be pretty agnostic with regards to quick charging (they've been rock solid for me with Apple devices).
Alright, copy that. Thanks a lot for your help, cheers!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.