Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

FrostLK8

macrumors member
Nov 12, 2019
Can confirm that even Genshin Impact (an otherwise exceptionally well optimized game for iOS where the company clearly invests and keeps up with new tech) still stutters like crazy on 16.5 on M2 iPad Pros when Apple's ProBullshit is on.

Leave it to Apple to be pig-headed about it, of course...

Reactions: NeoRock096

herzozo

macrumors member
Mar 10, 2021
Hungary
Don't want to jinx it, I've just run my usual test with Crossy Roads and the usual after touch stutters seem to be gone on iOS 17 beta 2. I wouldn't bet on it yet, pls someone else confirm.

herzozo

macrumors member
Mar 10, 2021
Hungary
Don't want to jinx it, I've just run my usual test with Crossy Roads and the usual after touch stutters seem to be gone on iOS 17 beta 2. I wouldn't bet on it yet, pls someone else confirm.
Just redid my test the next morning - Europe here -, and I still don't see the usual stutters. There are a few but so infrequent I don't think they're of the same root cause.
Still seems to bé fixed for me on iOS 17 beta 2.

purped94

macrumors member
Jan 25, 2019
Just redid my test the next morning - Europe here -, and I still don't see the usual stutters. There are a few but so infrequent I don't think they're of the same root cause.
Still seems to bé fixed for me on iOS 17 beta 2.
Would you mind to test for genshin impact and hit the island if u ever had that games installed ?

herzozo

macrumors member
Mar 10, 2021
Hungary
Would you mind to test for genshin impact and hit the island if u ever had that games installed ?
I've never used Genshin impact, so I would rather not do that myself as I don't have a basline, Hit the Island has been constantly bad for me since iOS 16.6, but I suspect it's the app this time around as it even stutters before I touch the screen. It "only" used to stutter after touch input, now it's just constant. That's when I switched over testing with Crossy Roads.

CupertinoSlave

macrumors 6502
Sep 16, 2014
Tampa, FL
I've never used Genshin impact, so I would rather not do that myself as I don't have a basline, Hit the Island has been constantly bad for me since iOS 16.6, but I suspect it's the app this time around as it even stutters before I touch the screen. It "only" used to stutter after touch input, now it's just constant. That's when I switched over testing with Crossy Roads.
Could you try Subway Sufers? That game has the stutter for every touch on 16.5

Reactions: herzozo

herzozo

macrumors member
Mar 10, 2021
Hungary
Could you try Subway Sufers? That game has the stutter for every touch on 16.5
I just tried it. I have definitely seen microstutters, but not only at touch input, and definitely not for every or even every 3rd touch. It's pretty good, didn't annoy even me, and I am legendary for being picky. Compared to what Hit the Island used to be for me before iOS 16.6, since last September, it's no comparison, this is enjoyable, that was just a big fat mass.

AugustooD

macrumors newbie
Jun 23, 2023
Hello Sirs, I am happy to find that the problem is not just me.

I bought an IPHONE 14 PRO 1 week ago here in Brazil, and on IOS 16.5 I'm having a very bad experience in League of Legends WILD RIFT

FPS is never fixed / stable. I tried in all visual settings and the problem persists the same ( LOW / ULTRA )

- When I put 120hz, the FPS issue oscillates from 120 to 105, back to 120 goes to 115, Nonstop in loop

- 60 hz same thing, fluctuates from 60 to 53, 57-60.

I just wanted to play from start to end of the game with FIXED FPS.

Last edited:

cha0z_

macrumors newbie
Jun 23, 2023
Hello Sirs, I am happy to find that the problem is not just me.

I bought an IPHONE 14 PRO 1 week ago here in Brazil, and on IOS 16.5 I'm having a very bad experience in League of Legends WILD RIFT

FPS is never fixed. I already try it in all visual settings and the problem persists the same.

- When I put 120hz, the FPS issue oscillates from 120 to 105, back to 120 goes to 115, Nonstop in loop

- 60 hz same thing, fluctuates from 60 to 53, 57-60.

I just wanted to play from beginning to end of the game with FIXED FPS.
It was great on ios 15 (13 pro max). The issue started with ios16 betas till now. ios17 gets some positive feedback for beta 2, but it's too early to tell. Going from "stutters when I touch the screen" to "stutters all the time" is not exactly anything fixed. I also played wild rift before, but stopped after few months struggling with worse experience than a f iphone 6s. riot themself said they are working on it few times I contacted them and knew about the issue from early October as I contacted them first time. Last time was this year and received the same response by another employee. No point of doing it again, clearly they can't fix it or it will require major rewrite of code (and WR is not doing that hot, it's skeleton crew supporting that game).

Reactions: AugustooD

herzozo

macrumors member
Mar 10, 2021
Hungary
I take it all back, the bug is probably still there in iOS 17 beta 2 as well.
I just played some Hill Climb+ and it stutters after every single touch...

Reactions: NeoRock096

AugustooD

macrumors newbie
Jun 23, 2023
I take it all back, the bug is probably still there in iOS 17 beta 2 as well.
I just played some Hill Climb+ and it stutters after every single touch...
I am stunned in disbelief. When it comes to WILD RIFT, the game I bought the IP 14 PRO to play, I know 2 steamers who do live on twitch using IP 13 PRO MAX, and they streaming in 120 hz without any fps drop, it's 122,120. Now we are using a newer and more expensive cell phone than theirs, 120 - 105 - 95 - 115 in loop, when will this end?

cha0z_

macrumors newbie
Jun 23, 2023
I am stunned in disbelief. When it comes to WILD RIFT, the game I bought the IP 14 PRO to play, I know 2 steamers who do live on twitch using IP 13 PRO MAX, and they streaming in 120 hz without any fps drop, it's 122,120. Now we are using a newer and more expensive cell phone than theirs, 120 - 105 - 95 - 115 in loop, when will this end?
Not sure how that goes, because I own 13 pro max and stopped playing wild rift after going from ios 15 (buttery smooth 120/60fps there) to ios 16 where the stutters started + 120fps on cold as f in winter phone drops to 60-70, i.e. bugged out and didn't work properly at all. They are so severe that even the FPS meter in the game goes towards 50 (before on ios15 all versions locked 60 and perfect frametimes).

Stopped playing wild rift because of them and I was master/GM. Contacted riot few times and earliest was early October - they told me each time they know about the issue and are working on it. Last time was Feb/Mar this year and I simply stopped even asking them as it's clear then can't fix it or it requires massive code rewrites they won't do.

To be honest I am not sure if it's apple to blame or devs makes excuses with them. Maybe they used dirty hack to implement pro motion support, apple fixed that hole and broke the games. Devs now refuse to remove the pro motion support and implementing it the correct way requires massive rewrites of code no one will do. Can't say if it's apple or the devs, but it's a fact that pro motion devices are f over and games that are smooth on iphone 6s stutters on 14 pro/14 pro max/13 pro/13 pro max.

Reactions: AugustooD

FrostLK8

macrumors member
Nov 12, 2019
So OK, updated the software and tested Genshin Impact again on M2 iPads. It is 100% unplayable garbage if ProMotion is left on in settings.

Removing ProBullshit (i.e. "limit frame rate" setting) makes the game playable on fixed 60 FPS with Med res and all else high.

The downside, of course, is that the iPad UI is stuck on 60 FPS unless you want to go and change that every time before opening Genshin. And even that 60 FPS isn't as smooth as it would be on a non-garbage operating system.

NeoRock096

macrumors newbie
May 11, 2023
Years fly by and this still isn’t fixed, it’s even more hilarious that no one except this topic is talking about it, not every single reviewer has noticed this bug. It’s like we’re screaming into the void. I’m so frustrated.

Misos

macrumors member
Oct 18, 2022
So OK, updated the software and tested Genshin Impact again on M2 iPads. It is 100% unplayable garbage if ProMotion is left on in settings.

Removing ProBullshit (i.e. "limit frame rate" setting) makes the game playable on fixed 60 FPS with Med res and all else high.

The downside, of course, is that the iPad UI is stuck on 60 FPS unless you want to go and change that every time before opening Genshin. And even that 60 FPS isn't as smooth as it would be on a non-garbage operating system.
which update? The latest IpadOS 17 beta?

Solisgozoom

macrumors newbie
Jan 11, 2023
Might be a one off case but I have a 13pm and decided to leave 15.6 for 17b2

I started to notice 15.6 was deliberately not charging my phone and becoming prone to resets recently which was really odd (huh apple…). Anyhow I’ve tried genshin, WR and they’re running normal with no drops in fps.

Codm MP will still stutter massively if playing ultra on MP but butter smooth if you select max fps. BR mode runs smooth no problem.

I can try other games if yall like.

Misos

macrumors member
Oct 18, 2022
Might be a one off case but I have a 13pm and decided to leave 15.6 for 17b2

I started to notice 15.6 was deliberately not charging my phone and becoming prone to resets recently which was really odd (huh apple…). Anyhow I’ve tried genshin, WR and they’re running normal with no drops in fps.

Codm MP will still stutter massively if playing ultra on MP but butter smooth if you select max fps. BR mode runs smooth no problem.

I can try other games if yall like.
Genshin doesn't stutter for you? Do you play on max setting 60fps?

Fatwalrus93

macrumors newbie
Feb 21, 2023
Are there any apps that track fps? I don’t notice stuttering but that could just be because I can’t see it.

AugustooD

macrumors newbie
Jun 23, 2023
Huge update on WILD RIFT today, and I was hoping it would improve something.

I enter a game, the FPS is 60 within the base, I leave it drops to 53-55 .. 56-58… I give up and installed an emulator to play on the computer, and I don't waste my cell phone's battery for nothing.
Here in Brazil Iphone 14 Pro costs 5x more than USA, and the iPhone can't keep 60 fps without stutters and drop fps, is this unacceptable, with chances of this never being resolved?

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.