Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kp98077

macrumors 601
Oct 26, 2010
My display goes off in a minute or so. I have not made any changes in the one year+ I've had the phone but SOMETHING changed a month or so ago when the battery started draining for no obvious reason.

Is there no way of actually DIAGNOSING and FIXING the actual problem?
What time of day does it his <15%?
Maybe worth a Genius Bar appt?

Reactions: Andy002

Andy002

macrumors member
May 30, 2022
What time of day does it his <15%?
Maybe worth a Genius Bar appt?
Not quite sure of your first question, but the battery seems to drop mostly between noon and around 4-5 PM. Between around 11:30 - 2 PM the phone is not used at all. All this can vary, and some days it ends up fine at the end of the day. But it seems to be getting progressively worse.

I have no idea what your second suggestion is. :(

Andy002

macrumors member
May 30, 2022
Here's how ridiculous it's gotten, this is the worst ever:

Phone_2057.jpg

• Wow
Reactions: kp98077

Andy002

macrumors member
May 30, 2022
It's becoming unusable. I leave it sit for 2-3 hours yesterday, pick it up and it's down to less than 20% or something.

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
Thankful im not update feverish

Still on iOS 16.1 with my 14 Pro Max , still great battery life

StaceyMJ86

macrumors demi-goddess
Sep 22, 2015
Washington, DC
Thankful im not update feverish

Still on iOS 16.1 with my 14 Pro Max , still great battery life

My 12 Pro Max is still on iOS 14.1. I haven’t used it since my 14 Pro Max arrived on launch day last year. I only used the 5w charging brick and in those 2 years it was done to 82%. I used that phone like no other and always had to carry a charger box because it would need to be topped up twice before getting home at the 1 year mark. After that I used it even more as I planned to have the battery changed once it hit 80% if I hadn’t upgraded.

That showed me that no matter what software version I was on, my battery probably was still going degrade at whatever rate it was going to degrade at.

Andy002

macrumors member
May 30, 2022
My 12 Pro Max is still on iOS 14.1. I haven’t used it since my 14 Pro Max arrived on launch day last year. I only used the 5w charging brick and in those 2 years it was done to 82%. I used that phone like no other and always had to carry a charger box because it would need to be topped up twice before getting home at the 1 year mark. After that I used it even more as I planned to have the battery changed once it hit 80% if I hadn’t upgraded.

That showed me that no matter what software version I was on, my battery probably was still going degrade at whatever rate it was going to degrade at.

Despite having to recharge mine twice yesterday (see above post) today it is fairly normal: At 7:36 PM it is still at 70% since I took it off the charger this morning..

And, FWIW, my battery capacity is at 97%.

StaceyMJ86

macrumors demi-goddess
Sep 22, 2015
Washington, DC
Despite having to recharge mine twice yesterday (see above post) today it is fairly normal: At 7:36 PM it is still at 70% since I took it off the charger this morning..

And, FWIW, my battery capacity is at 97%.

I just checked my phone usage, as I’ve been home sick for the last week and have been using my phone more than usual.

d2848d930a6151206072d557cbdd2269.png

BigMcGuire

Cancelled
Jan 10, 2012
Clever shenanigans if it isn't happening to all.
My 14 Pro Max is doing better than ever. 100% battery health and lasting almost as long as my 13 Pro Max did.

If my phone was dropping like the pics above, I'd do the Volume Up + Volume Down then Hold Power and do a hard reset to see if that helps. If not, I'd reinstall iOS. However, usually a hard reboot (volume up then volume down, then hold power) fixes any weird behavior.

Paintqueen

macrumors newbie
Jul 26, 2023
I have exactly the same problem... Just noticed it about 10 to 12 days ago... Not sure when 16.5.1 was updated? does anyone know when it came out? I called apple and they said my phone battery was fine after sharing screen and doing diagnostics.. But believed me and made an appointment at the Apple Store. Went the next day and they said it was fine too. So irritating.. My phone is drained every day by 3 pm after normal use and full charge at 8 am.. Usage maybe 1 to 2 hours of talk time, 5 to 10 texts, 1 email read..Crazy making! I called again on Tues and the support told me to reset to factory settings... Now I am dealing with making everything normal again..Siri, fonts, bluetooth, and so on but now Battery wear is even worse!!! Today my phone was dead by 2 pm ( fully charged at 8 am)
My phone was fine up until a few weeks ago! I bought it in April. I called apple again today and they told me to update to 16.6 Which I did tonight while plugged in. I made one 20 minute phone call tonight and my battery went from 95% charged to 80%! This is unacceptable! for a phone I still owe $900 for! Please call apple and a make a complaint everyone! Something is wrong!

Reactions: Andy002

Andy002

macrumors member
May 30, 2022
My 14 Pro Max is doing better than ever. 100% battery health and lasting almost as long as my 13 Pro Max did.

If my phone was dropping like the pics above, I'd do the Volume Up + Volume Down then Hold Power and do a hard reset to see if that helps. If not, I'd reinstall iOS. However, usually a hard reboot (volume up then volume down, then hold power) fixes any weird behavior.
I tried your suggestion and it is much, much better. But not quite normal, because on some days when I do have to re-charge.

Someone suggested a "cold boot" earlier (or in another thread). I'm familiar with doing that with a PC but not a phone. But his method didn't apply to my phone.

Reactions: BigMcGuire

Andy002

macrumors member
May 30, 2022
I have exactly the same problem... Just noticed it about 10 to 12 days ago... Not sure when 16.5.1 was updated? does anyone know when it came out? I called apple and they said my phone battery was fine after sharing screen and doing diagnostics.. But believed me and made an appointment at the Apple Store. Went the next day and they said it was fine too. So irritating.. My phone is drained every day by 3 pm after normal use and full charge at 8 am.. Usage maybe 1 to 2 hours of talk time, 5 to 10 texts, 1 email read..Crazy making! I called again on Tues and the support told me to reset to factory settings... Now I am dealing with making everything normal again..Siri, fonts, bluetooth, and so on but now Battery wear is even worse!!! Today my phone was dead by 2 pm ( fully charged at 8 am)
My phone was fine up until a few weeks ago! I bought it in April. I called apple again today and they told me to update to 16.6 Which I did tonight while plugged in. I made one 20 minute phone call tonight and my battery went from 95% charged to 80%! This is unacceptable! for a phone I still owe $900 for! Please call apple and a make a complaint everyone! Something is wrong!

Try the method above. :)

darthbane2k

macrumors 68000
Oct 22, 2009
There is definitely a battery issue with the 14 Pro line.
Of course Apple are denying this and most tech podcasters are denying this - although seeing as they have already scored their invitation to the September event, they might actually start to cover this issue.

pravinewa

macrumors newbie
Aug 30, 2023
There is definitely a battery issue with the 14 Pro line.
Of course Apple are denying this and most tech podcasters are denying this - although seeing as they have already scored their invitation to the September event, they might actually start to cover this issue.
Yes, previously with wifi ON battery percentage drop level was 0 to 1% but with latest update 20% is dropping.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.