Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fryfrkhlly

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 29, 2013
Phoenix, AZ
Anyone else considering "downgrading"? I don't find myself using a ton of the PRO features on my 14, but I am wondering if I'll regret it lol. I do love photography on my phone but it's mostly of my kids and pets. I only used Macro once this last year lol and that was the first day.

Anyone else feeling similar?

fryfrkhlly

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 29, 2013
Phoenix, AZ
What for? The 14 Pro is still superior unless you absolutely needed that USB-C port
I do take a lot of portrait photos and love the new capability to have it "always on" basically, since in the moment I forget to select it. I am not sure if that is a software thing or only exclusive to the 15. And I would prefer a USB-C but I mean that wouldn't be the only reason lol

farkingdom

macrumors member
Mar 20, 2012
I do take a lot of portrait photos and love the new capability to have it "always on" basically, since in the moment I forget to select it. I am not sure if that is a software thing or only exclusive to the 15. And I would prefer a USB-C but I mean that wouldn't be the only reason lol
Why not wait if Apple will give the Portrait and Smart HDR5 to 14 Pro as well since it’s just purely software? They share the same processor A16 so if Apple doesn’t give to 14 Pro, it doesn’t make sense.

The camera spec sheet between the regular 14 Pro and 15 Pro is exactly the same, so in a way when you move to 15 it’s a downgrade in camera too.

fryfrkhlly

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 29, 2013
Phoenix, AZ
Why not wait if Apple will give the Portrait and Smart HDR5 to 14 Pro as well since it’s just purely software? They share the same processor A16 so if Apple doesn’t give to 14 Pro, it doesn’t make sense.

The camera spec sheet between the regular 14 Pro and 15 Pro is exactly the same, so in a way when you move to 15 it’s a downgrade in camera too.

Yeah I think I may actually do that. Hoping they’ll add that to the 14 Pro since it is so much better.

tsmiller

macrumors member
Mar 13, 2009
Anyone else considering "downgrading"? I don't find myself using a ton of the PRO features on my 14, but I am wondering if I'll regret it lol. I do love photography on my phone but it's mostly of my kids and pets. I only used Macro once this last year lol and that was the first day.

Anyone else feeling similar?
Yes, I am considering that as well. I like the idea of a lighter phone, smaller camera, bump, and USB-C.

Reactions: fryfrkhlly

Grisu23121972

macrumors newbie
Sep 15, 2023
Namur (Belgium)
I’m reading this post with interest. My personal question is weather to buy an iPhone 14Pro or the iPhone 15.

In fact, there are still stocks of the 14Pro in many places at reduced price. So I’m asking myself … to upgrade from my iPhone 12 mini (I love the form factor and regret that there is no mini anymore) should I buy a 14Pro or a 15 for almost the same price?

Tech specs are quite similar… the Pro is heavier but has a third camera and pro-motion…

What do you think?

Marv87

macrumors newbie
Nov 8, 2019
Seriously considering it. Battery life of my regular 13 was way better than the 14 Pro and don't really use the Pro-features anyway. Only thing that's giving me doubts is the 120 hz vs 60 hz.

Yuuuki

macrumors regular
May 28, 2023
I am thinking about downgrading to but in my case from Max to Plus. Biggest point is weight difference. Also the pink Color is just amazing on the 15!

krebphone

macrumors regular
Mar 8, 2019
I’m going this route, tired of the weight on the 14p. The only pro features I actually enjoy are the dynamic island and the 2x crop, turned off promotion and AOD early on.

Reactions: fryfrkhlly

lordhamster

macrumors 68000
Jan 23, 2008
I’m going this route, tired of the weight on the 14p. The only pro features I actually enjoy are the dynamic island and the 2x crop, turned off promotion and AOD early on.
I hear you on the weight, but it still puzzles me. People are talking like the 14pro is like carrying a lead bar in one's pocket. The difference is a few ounces. Beyond the very first moment of taking it out of the box, I doubt I'd even notice a difference.

krebphone

macrumors regular
Mar 8, 2019
I hear you on the weight, but it still puzzles me. People are talking like the 14pro is like carrying a lead bar in one's pocket. The difference is a few ounces. Beyond the very first moment of taking it out of the box, I doubt I'd even notice a difference.
I disagree, the 14p is annoying swinging around in my pocket whereas my old 12 I would barely notice. That ~35 grams is noticeable as minor as it seems.

I’d try a 15p but I just use the 77mm much less than I thought. Also find that macro hardly works when I want it to. Take a lot of pics at the ~50mm crop though.

Blue 15 for me 👍

sevoneone

macrumors 6502a
May 16, 2010
Yeah I think I may actually do that. Hoping they’ll add that to the 14 Pro since it is so much better.
I have a feeling the only chance of any of us having that happen is if enough people call Apple out on it. Same cameras, same A16 chip... 14 Pros should have 24MP option and Portrait detection. I mean any phone with with a neural engine should be able to handle detecting when a person is in frame with ease.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.