Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LoveMyPens

macrumors regular
Mar 11, 2013
2-ish hrs on 47% battery? Yeah that’s really bad.

Your GPS arrow in the upper left is solid… were you navigating while taking the screenshot? Do you have AirTags nearby?

Could be Apple ‘crowdsource beacon’ drain - that doesn’t show up in the batt graphs for obvious reasons:

53116397835_68261ccfa2_o.png
Could post the link to this or the full article?

DesmoPilot

macrumors 65816
Feb 18, 2008
Yeah, I'm hoping it will get even better with time. Have it set to load the release 17.1 tonight so we shall see.
So far idle battery life is very much improved with 17.1. I'm at 78% where the last couple weeks I'd be around 65 at this point in the day.

Reactions: LoveMyPens

reppans

macrumors 6502
Dec 2, 2006
Where did you find this? Would love to read more about this.

Could post the link to this or the full article?

Those are just 3 screenshots I took from different pages off the Apple website - doubt you’ll find much about it anywhere else. I’m just a battery/efficiency hobbyist with a conspiracy theory that nobody seems to care about, so I’ll leave it up to you to piece together. All I can say is that I have two other iOS device over 10yrs old that has better SOT than the OP’s.

Reactions: LoveMyPens

ctjack

macrumors 65816
Mar 8, 2020
My wife’s 14pm had 9.5 hrs with aod on, surprisingly went to 13hr of sot after turning it off.
I had 12 mini, 13mini, 13.
13 mini was a huge improvement over the 12 mini. It easily added 1.5hr sot for me while being the same size.
13 added another 1.5hrs of sot over the 13 mini.

What i noticed is that new iphones are power hungry and battery consumption is not linear - meaning that if you scroll non-stop instagram or web, you can get 10 hrs on 15 pro, 9 hrs on 13, 8hrs on 13 mini, 14 hrs on 13PM, 13hr on 14PM, 13.2 hr on 15pm when new and fresh.

Now here comes the difference: if not used actively, then the inefficiency kicks in. For example if you are not glued to your phone and spend a day normally checking your phone, then battery drops quite significantly and spent on idle.

For latter scenario(sitting at work), you can get 6-7.5 hrs on 15 pro, 5-7.5 hrs on 13, 4.5-6 hrs on 13 mini, 9-10 hrs on 13PM, 9-9.5 hrs on 14PM, 9-10 hr on 15pm when new and fresh.

For AOD eligible device you can shave another 2 hours from above to get the real life SOT when turned on.

In conclusion, the pro max seems to suffer the least in our experience because of the sheer amount of Mah available and it drops the least or maybe drops the same, but it just has higher ceiling and can afford to lose that (14hr nonstop SOT vs 9-10hr of inactive use).

Reactions: myllian

FunkyTang

macrumors 65816
Sep 16, 2008
You’re using it too much because it’s new. Calm down and turn off AOD and maybe try low power mode.

• Sad
Reactions: miq

Al Rukh

macrumors 65816
Nov 15, 2017
No, coming from the mini the Pro is already more than I can bear size/weight-wise. If it wasn't for the always on and 120hz I'd probably be looking at a base 15.

I was in a same predicament. I got the 15P and I wanted to like it. I never held it long enough to judge its battery life but once I had the 15 in my hands, my mind was set and I went to get the regular 15. I’m so happy now. I do miss the ProMotion display but it hasn’t affected me much because I don’t consume a lot of media on my phone. I have ProMotion on my MBP and that should suffice for now.

Nozuka

macrumors 68040
Jul 3, 2012
Even though this is my first day, it already feels like the battery is much better than the 13 Mini...
14:00 and still 80% left. Even used it as a hotspot for 1h...

Obviously way too early to make a judgment, but usually the first few days it is supposed to be worse and then improve a bit..

I did turn off AOD though, because it feels distracting.

Coming from a Mini i first thought they accidently sent me the Max, it seems so much bigger 😂 but the case fits and there's only 3x zoom, so it must be the right one 😜 not sure how long i'll keep it in a case, because i've never used one and it makes it even heavier compared to the Mini.

bbates123

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 2, 2010
You’re using it too much because it’s new. Calm down and turn off AOD and maybe try low power mode.
AOD is the main reason I wanted it. I've just set charging limit to 80% and have it on a MagSafe charging stand most of the time and I'm getting by.

Macalicious2011

macrumors 68000
May 15, 2011
London
My experience upgrading from the 13 Mini to 15 Pro is the opposite. Battery life is night and day improved. The phone lasts an entire day which was not possible with the 13 Mini.

I have an Apple Watch Series 7 with AOD display. At home I charge on a MagSafe stand that activates Standby. Therefore I am unlikely to ever used AOD on my 15 Pro.

On the Apple Watch Series 7. The difference between AOD on vs off is HUGE. However I have it on as watch lasts an entire day and gets charged on the MagSafe stand overnight.

With that being said the 15 pro battery life is good but not remarkable. My Oppo A54S lasts two days. Granted it has a weaker CPU and a lower resolution screen. If battery life i a priority then the Plus and Pro Max are best.

Last edited:

Nozuka

macrumors 68040
Jul 3, 2012
so far i can‘t agree with the topics title.

Most of my days with the 13 mini ended below 35%… and i have not seen my 15 pro below 60% yet.

Pretty much exactly what I expected from the bigger battery

Macloven

macrumors regular
Aug 25, 2008
13Pro to 15Pro here. With typical usage after 2 years ownership, the 13pro got me through 2 days easily. First charge on the 15pro didn't last the day, but will discount that due to whatever background processing was going on and my tinkering setting up options. I did turn off aod wallpaper and widgets, as battery usage showed that as 2nd highest drain behind spotify. Now down 2% after almost 2 hours so hoping things settle down. I don't need two days, but certainly hope I can easily get through one day with normal/heavy usage and not using a charger until bed.

Related, my new UW2 battery drain seems to be slower after linking to the new phone, a good problem. I'm getting 3 days on the UW2 and hope that too continues.

Nozuka

macrumors 68040
Jul 3, 2012
Still very happy with 15pro battery life.
It is exceeding my expectations.

rolandkoller90

macrumors member
May 2, 2017
Battery isn't my main concern, it was more an observation of how the battery life really isn't all that much better than my 13 mini which was kind of a shock.
I’m shocked that you are surprised that your 13mini (smaller display, 60hz, much lower max nits) gets you almost the same as a 15pro with a hungrier display, 120hz, hungrier chipset. You should enjoy all the upgrades.

sjperformance

macrumors 68000
Oct 7, 2013
Miami 305
For the 14PM I left AOD on for the entire year. For the launch day 15PM off it went. Even better battery life. Much better now.

dmr727

macrumors G4
Dec 29, 2007
NYC
I came from a 12 mini, and it's always been the kind of phone where I'd end up in Low Power Mode by the early evening, and limp it across the finish line before bed. As the battery got worse, I'd end up just manually putting it in LPM around noon to make it last the rest of the day.

My 15 Pro is much better - I'm typically at around 40% by the time I'm ready for bed.

kristof461

macrumors regular
Oct 4, 2023
What did you? Do you still have this 15 Pro? I have same issues and same opinion like you. I am more and more convinced that some units are faulty.
I called Apple. They made few tests and said everything is fine. I asked about higher level of tests. They will collect logs but I have to update my soft to 17.4 first. Anyway what's worse my phone is unpredictable. After few fresh installations my phone could get 9-11h on WiFi. That means 5,5-6h on LTE. Ok fine. After 1-2 weeks without any update I get 5-6h on Wifi. Why? What is going on? That also means 2,5-3h on mobile data which consider as unusable
This is extremely poor. About 2.5 hours 100-53% on Wi-Fi? Unless your camera app is very heavy, that looks borderline unusable. Is brightness too high?

If that’s the battery life you’re getting on Wi-Fi, a full cellular day is only a dream.
I have exact same issue and same results even on WiFi.
The “jumps” in the battery graph are concerning. The graph should be somewhat linear, with the graph being steeper the more you use the phone, but dropping large chunks at a time are not normal. I’d guess the Security camera app is not optimized for the A17pro or something to that effect. I noticed that some apps, looking at you NFL mobile, drain the battery much more than on my 14 pro.
I also see these drops on my graph. Sometimes simple Safari task can take 3-4% just like that.

Last edited:

thatJohann

macrumors 68000
Jul 5, 2013
NYC
Yeah I went from 13 Mini to 15 Pro to 15 Pro Max.

I couldn’t get used to the terrible battery life of the 15 Pro.

kristof461

macrumors regular
Oct 4, 2023
Yeah I went from 13 Mini to 15 Pro to 15 Pro Max.

I couldn’t get used to the terrible battery life of the 15 Pro.
Yeah I saw your posts here and under other battery thread. To be honest I asked OP but your opinion is also valuable. What about battery chart on 15 pro max? I mean don’t ask only about sot. Maybe problem still exists but you don’t feel it because of lager battery.

thatJohann

macrumors 68000
Jul 5, 2013
NYC
Yeah I saw your posts here and under other battery thread. To be honest I asked OP but your opinion is also valuable. What about battery chart on 15 pro max? I mean don’t ask only about sot. Maybe problem still exists but you don’t feel it because of lager battery.
I never know how to read this battery screen but battery on the 15 PM was average at first but now seems pretty good.

IMG_0080.png

ctjack

macrumors 65816
Mar 8, 2020
I never know how to read this battery screen but battery on the 15 PM was average at first but now seems pretty good.

View attachment 2357302
Your chart reads like 1.5 hrs of SOT from last full charge and sitting at 88%.
So 1.5hrs SOT for 12% used or per 100% charge you can expect 12hr SOT + 1-3% to get home.

PS. By the way it is not your fault for not knowing how to read this - i also did not know for a long time. It is apple hiding the true numbers from users under this bad infograph - hope their CFO doesn't operate in the same manner in tableau before presenting their financial plans.
Jailbreak back in the day were able to modify this screen to be better with the real numbers like i quoted above.

Reactions: kristof461
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.