Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Aiphanes

macrumors regular
Jul 9, 2008
South Texas
I am wondering if my 3G sucks, which it shouldnt, its San Antonio. best i've gotten is 1.22 Mbps, 149 kb/s. Even with wifi off it registered a lot of my test speeds as wifi. Only the two on top is my actual wifi at home.

photo.jpg

yea SA should have the best ATT 3G...Where in SA are you located?

mjones77

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 11, 2008
I am wondering if my 3G sucks, which it shouldnt, its San Antonio. best i've gotten is 1.22 Mbps, 149 kb/s. Even with wifi off it registered a lot of my test speeds as wifi. Only the two on top is my actual wifi at home.

After you finish a test it gives you the option to change it from wifi to 3G.

dangoland

macrumors member
Jun 14, 2008
yea SA should have the best ATT 3G...Where in SA are you located?

IM in the northeast inside the 410 loop. This tests wer taking at home and at the north star mall in the afternoon when I went pick up a case

After you finish a test it gives you the option to change it from wifi to 3G.

Actually most of the time the test results wouldnt even load, only a few times it would and thats where the 3g was selected. The results did show on my last 100 though. So, anyone else getting ba speeds here in SA?

meagain

macrumors 68030
Nov 18, 2006
I hit 'start test' but don't get any results. Do you have to register?

EDIT: It only recognizes 2g and Wifi

Dermot81

macrumors member
Jun 10, 2007
Took me 15 seconds to load, but the txt was readable after 10 seconds. I'm waiting for my train at Penn station, NYC

Phatzer

macrumors regular
Nov 3, 2007
Just tested 3G three times at the services at A605/A1, Peterborough, UK. I got 4.9mbps, 2.0mbps and 4.9mbps. Checked speed, loaded BBC news page in under 10 seconds.

dangoland

macrumors member
Jun 14, 2008
I hit 'start test' but don't get any results. Do you have to register?

EDIT: It only recognizes 2g and Wifi

Same thing happens to me, it actually read my 3g as edge (that slow, lol)
If you create an account you can go to stats and view your last 100 tests. Those whose results dont show actually get recorded in there.

maryamaz

macrumors newbie
Jul 11, 2008
I don't know whether or not I trust this site, and/or if Japanese iPhones are just boned in the speed department or what...

On Softbank's 3G network I got 0.08Mbps...

But on my Wifi at home (which is 200Mbs fiber) I only got 0.17Mbps...

Could it be the site that's boned?

I'm having the same exact problem! I'm wondering if it isn't my iPhone... and I'm in the US.

mjones77

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 11, 2008
I don't know whether or not I trust this site, and/or if Japanese iPhones are just boned in the speed department or what...

On Softbank's 3G network I got 0.08Mbps...

But on my Wifi at home (which is 200Mbs fiber: http://www.speedtest.net/result/295354651.png) I only got 0.17Mbps...

Could it be the site that's boned?

its probably because you are so far away, I did a whois and the server is in canada.

I can get a pretty good result most of the time from it, sometimes I will get a odd test, and I just do it again and get a good result.

iNetworktest gives me only about 600kbps which I know is wrong, I can get between 1mbps - and 1.7mbps from both testmyiphone.com and testmy.net

adversecamber

macrumors regular
Jul 9, 2008
Maybe I'm wanting too much, but for me a page loading in 20-30secs is still way too slow. I'm too used to my MBP loading almost instantly. I could cope with my iPhone loading in 5secs but any more and, for me, it just becomes 'slow'.

25secs in 3G or 40secs on EDGE - it's all 'slow'.

Sorry, just my opinion (and how I'm justifying not forking out for a new iPhone).

TimothyB

macrumors 6502a
Jun 20, 2008
Bay Area
Indoors in single level condo near window

3G had 2 bars, about 0.3mbs

With edge, 5 bars, 0.12 mbs

Twice as fast, whoopdy doo.

TonyHoyle

macrumors 6502a
Sep 14, 2007
Manchester, UK
1.3Mbps

O2 UK 3G, about half signal strength indoors.

Not bad at all.......

Actually that's pretty bad for 3G in the UK.

The problem is all these speed tests are US based and are wildly off when used from the UK (they rate my broadband connection at about 1/3rd of its normal speed for example). There don't appear to be any UK based iphone specific ones but general broadband ones should be OK.. find one that gives the right results for a known speed eg. your broadband connection, then plug the iphone into it and see what comes out.

I was getting 7.02Mpbs the other day from work (good signal there.. also the only place I've ever seen an Edge conneciton around here when I had the 2G).

Even on my wifi connection it takes 12 seconds for bbc.co.uk so I'm not even sure that's a good test.. it's timing rendering speed at that point (my MBP over the same wireless can load it in under a second) - the iphone just aint that fast at rendering pictures that an individual website is going to help - you need to time continuous data transfer to show the difference.

It's a pity speedtest.net doesn't work on the iphone as that seems reasonably accurate from everywhere.

edit: dammit.. Can't get the numbers. At the moment there's not even any cell coverage around here let alone 3g data - walked for 15 minutes and 'No Service' anywhere. O2 really suck.

Tipsy

macrumors newbie
Jul 13, 2008
A poor test

Downloading an 80KB image surrounded by a little HTML - from an unusual location, no less - makes for a poor test.

inetworktest.com is 20 hops and ~115ms from my home 4Mbit/sec internet connection. It estimates that I have a ~1.1Mbit/sec connection.

It may not seem quite so scientific as using something which produces numbers, but doing whatever you usually did internet-wise on your iPhone on your iPhone 3G will be much more relevant.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.