Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

akxey

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 8, 2009
i hav a new iphone 3GS. recently i JB it n installed firmware 3.0 using redsnow. later i accidently upgrated to 3.1.2 on itunes. so tried to downgrade it to 3.0 bt when i tried to down grade using redsnow it is having problems. now it is always in recovery mode. i used 3.1.2 firmware by shift+clickin on itunes n tried to restore bt everytime is try theres a error "recovery failed error 28". can anyone help me on this. im a newbie. thanx

enoC

macrumors 6502
Jul 2, 2009
Denmark
You cant downgrade iPhone 3GS' unless you have ECID SHSH on file via Cydia.

May I ask why you want to downgrade? You can still jailbreak and unlock it with Blackra1n and Blacksn0w...

If you're trying to restore to 3.1.2, and still are having issues, then try deleting the ipsw from the iTunes Software folder or download the ipsw from the internet...

akxey

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 8, 2009
i cant use my sim when i upgrated to 3.1.2 i think cox of the baseband been upgraded to 5xx. n when i use blackrain n click on make it rain. my iphone displays the pic of a guy n thats it no change it is stuck from there. same when i use redsnow a pic of hard disk is displayed on the screen on iphone got stuck there. when i turn on my iphone every time it displays this usb cable n itunes logo.... i'll delete ipsw file n download a new one n post back thanx enoC :)

enoC

macrumors 6502
Jul 2, 2009
Denmark
i cant use my sim when i upgrated to 3.1.2 i think cox of the baseband been upgraded to 5xx. n when i use blackrain n click on make it rain. my iphone displays the pic of a guy n thats it no change it is stuck from there. same when i use redsnow a pic of hard disk is displayed on the screen on iphone got stuck there. when i turn on my iphone every time it displays this usb cable n itunes logo.... i'll delete ipsw file n download a new one n post back thanx enoC :)

As Moi un Mouton suggests, maybe a DFU-Mode can fix it. You cant downgrade the baseband, but luckily for you GeoHot(the guy on the screen you mentioned) has made an unlock for the 05.11.07 baseband. The unlock is called Blacksn0w.

First you have to do a DFU and then restore to 3.1.2. And I recommend that you DON'T use your backup after you're done with the restore.
After that you jailbreak with Blackra1n RC3, and you will have this app installed. Then you just install "Cydia" and "Sn0w" from the blackra1n app on the iPhone and restart the iPhone. And you're done:)

akxey

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 8, 2009
As Moi un Mouton suggests, maybe a DFU-Mode can fix it. You cant downgrade the baseband, but luckily for you GeoHot(the guy on the screen you mentioned) has made an unlock for the 05.11.07 baseband. The unlock is called Blacksn0w.

i tried in DFU Mode bt i get the same error (error 28). :mad:

jav6454

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2007
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
Everyone has stepped in to suggest solutions without even knowing what the error means.

Instead all you have caused is things to get worse. Error 28 is a hardware error (iTunes sends communication signal thru the USB, but the iPhone fails to or simply responds gibberish.). There are ways to solve it, but it requires 3G iPhone (because of the ability to go back down to 2.2.1; 1st Gens also are Error 28 fixeable)

At this point, it's best to go to Apple. They will replace it due to hardware failure. No amounts of Blackra1n or Pwnage will fix this.

jav6454

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2007
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
A little info, after some research to past problems of other people, Error 28 can also be solved by using a different iTunes version (normally an earlier one during) however, this won't work on 3GS iPhones due to the fact earlier iTunes versions won't recognize the 3GS only the 3G in some cases and 1st Gen always.

AppleRev

macrumors newbie
Nov 23, 2009
What did you do with the bricked device? What had you done prior to getting this error? Did you jailbreak it? Did you download iTunes apps after jailbreaking it?

AjeeB

macrumors member
Mar 29, 2010
I have 3gs 4.1 have same problem !!! error 28
tried to disconnect battery ... I can't restore
I have only shsh for 4.1 !
any idea

BR :confused:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.