iPhone 4: 16GB vs 32GB?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by acousticbiker, Jun 8, 2010.

1. macrumors 6502

I currently own a 16GB 3GS and have the following memory breakdown:

1.25 GB Audio
    600 MB Video
    400 MB Photos
    6.25 GB Apps
    8 GB Free

I was originally thinking that I'd just get a 16 GB iPhone 4 but then I got to wondering whether, with the higher resolution display, the video & apps would be significantly larger size files. For instance, will TomTom be 2.5GB instead of 1.25GB? And HD videos?

Any thoughts on this?

2. macrumors 65816

If you can afford, always go for the best available. I am also in your situation, but will be getting the 16GB version since I do not need the extra space. Would be nice to have, but not a necessity.

3. macrumors member

I would go with the 32GB model. You can always deal with having too much memory but not too little. With HD video coming and a better camera I assume the file sizes will increase. To be on the safe side get the 32GB. The reason why I always get the one with more momory is because of the increased resale value. People are always more willing to pay more for a iPhone that has more memory. When you decide to sell it, it will be a lot easier and you will get a lot more money for it. That's my take.

4. macrumors 6502

I got the highest capacity model for the past three generations. But that changed when I got the iPad 16gb. I think ill do the same for the iphone 4. I'm realizing I'm always streaming music and movies so I really don't use local storage space.

5. macrumors 68000

uiop.

Get the 32GB. You won't ever sit back and regret it.

6. macrumors newbie

My take

I think it depends on what you really plan on using it for. What I mean is that if you use it a for business then you might want the 32GB. I'm getting 32GB because I can keep documents and promo videos on the device to show clients and don't have to worry about internet/network problems to access the documents that I use alot. I also have a fair amount of apps.

The 32GB also alleviates the concern that so many Apple consumers have, that their device will be obsolete in 6 months. The 32GB gives you growing room. So if you can afford it, I say go for the 32GB, if not then I think 16GB will be fine for you.

7. macrumors 68040

DiamondMac

Pretty much

I use a lot of it on audio/video and other things

If you are unsure, go big.....I doubt anyone will regret going too big

8. macrumors G4

Chupa Chupa

W/ 8GB free on your current phone you should be fine w/ the 16GB model. 8GB of video will yield about 1:30 of video. Do you plan on making a video for that length of time? Photos will be a 500KB or so larger. GPS apps on the iPad are not significantly larger than their iPhone counterparts so that should be a good indication that size won't be a factor if they uprez future updates.

Can't lose either way. If you continue your same usage pattern then you'll be fine.

9. macrumors member

That's a good point. I was just going to pre order the 16GB but now that you point out that the files will be bigger, I'll get the 32GB.

10. thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for this helpful response. I hadn't thought of looking at the sizes of iPad apps, photos, etc as a way to project how much space might be occupied by higher-res apps, photos and video. Anyone else with comparisons from an iPad that might be helpful? I'm on the fence between the 16GB & 32GB because of (1) the potential differences in size of apps/videos/photos due to higher resolution [even without any change in the way that I use it] and (2) I probably will be shooting more photos and video now that I can do so in lower light situations in which I don't even bother now

11. macrumors 68000

lorenwade

Best advice on here.

12. thread starter macrumors 6502

I'm getting one for both my wife and I (and she's not eligible for the upgrade so hers will be 399/499), so the $200 is non-trivial in my book.

13. macrumors 68020

Mystikal

Its THIS simple:

Do you have an extra $100 to spend? Yes? Then do it.

14. macrumors 6502

It's a lot easier to be in a situation where you have more than enough storage than not enough storage.

15. macrumors 68000

lorenwade

Exactly... and if you don't have the extra money... then don't. It's a personal decision.

16. macrumors 68030

uberamd

Get the 16GB one and stream your movies with an app like Air Video. Problem solved, $100 saved. I have 500MB of space used on my 16GB 3GS because I can stream everything I want to watch easily.

17. macrumors regular

I always bought the highest capacity iPhones (2G,3G,3GS) etc. I never ever used more than 10GB.

My wife has 1st gen 8GB and when I checked recently, she still has 4GB+ available.

I am going to get 16GB for her and may be 32GB for me.:p

18. macrumors 6502