iPhone 4: Blocked EMEI, is it now useless?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by AdamA9, Sep 16, 2010.

1. macrumors 6502a

Guys,

I lost my iPhone4 saturday night and went through the usual blocking process, however, I have managed to recover the phone (was handed in at the venue I lost it at). The screen is saying 'iPhone is disabled connect to iTnues'. Is this now dead and staying dead?

I'm in the UK so understand it's blocked for any use in the UK, but can it be used abroad?

Thanks.

2. macrumors 603

saving107

why abroad?

3. macrumors 68030

waloshin

It can be used outside of the UK.

4. macrumors regular

Is it worth contacting Apple. Explaining the situation and giving them proof you still have it and legally own it. They might be able to unblock it?

5. macrumors 6502a

Did you get a replacement? Then what you are doing is illegal. :rolleyes:

6. macrumors 6502a

Satori

Have you tried connecting to itunes. Might it be unblocked if it is re-connected to your itunes account?

7. macrumors 65816

You need to call the network again and tell them you have now found the phone. They will be able to unblock it.

8. thread starter macrumors 6502a

When I called to block the phone they told me it would be blocked to all UK networks, thus, usage abroad wouldn't be restricted.

Getting my phone back that I lost is illigal?

Been on hold for a while, waiting to hear from them, thanks

9. macrumors 6502a

No getting your phone back is not illegal, but if you had Insurance and claimed a new one then it's not your property anymore. If it's simply just you lost it and now found it again, Call up your Network provider and they'll unblock it for you.

10. macrumors regular

what he said lol

11. macrumors 6502a

way to jump to conclusions :rolleyes:. He never even mentioned that.

12. macrumors member

Phone IMEI's can be unblocked from all the networks but can take 7-14 days, contact your provider you blocked it with and they'll put the request through..

13. macrumors regular

The IMEI block was put on by your network provider (O2, Orange, T-Mobile, Tesco etc.) All you need to do is phone them up and say you've recovered the phone and the IMEI block will be removed and your phone back to normal. I had to do this when my phone was stolen then recovered 3 months later :).

14. macrumors regular

I missed the part where he said he called his insurance company and they sent him a new one

15. macrumors 601

It sounds a little odd that the OP isn't enquiring about getting the phone unblocked, but rather where it can be used in the blocked state.

Doesn't that sound just a bit fishy to you too?

16. macrumors 6502

iPhone3GCrazed

My thoughts exactly. :confused:

17. macrumors regular

just plug it in to your computer and reactivated

18. macrumors 6502a

Sure does!!!!

19. thread starter macrumors 6502a

I don't have a claim going through. I lost the phone and thought that once the EMEI was blocked, that it couldn't be removed, otherwise, what's the point of doing it? Unless it can only be removed by the owner. I'm sure I'd heard that an EMEI block couldn't be removed and doing so was illigal? And I'm sure o2 told me it would permanently blocked and that no one could use the phone.

As it turns out, I called o2 and they've removed the block, but I think I have to connect to iTunes to get it up and running again.

I was enquiring as to whether I can use it abroad as I figured I'd have to sell it to buy another one that wasn't blocked.

Thanks for all the replies, here's hoping when I plug it back in tonight it works again :)

20. macrumors newbie

I had my i phone 4 stolen on a night out on satday. I had the phone blocked about 6 in the morning when I realised it was gone and it had been switched off.

When an i phone 4 is blocked can the person who has the phone still look through content on the phone? i.e see emails, text messages, photos.

I have confidential information on it regarding work.

Thanks

Mike.

21. macrumors 68040

acfusion29

nothing fishy at all from how i read it.

i wish i could help, but i'm not familiar with the UK.

but anyways, people don't give anyone the benefit of a doubt on this forum. and even if he was trying to fraud an insurance company, is he actually going to listen to YOU or some random person on a forum? you're not the police.

22. macrumors member

If your carrier doesn't want to unblock it just put it on Ebay and mention that it does not work inside UK.

23. macrumors 65816

The thief will be able to turn the phone on and browse the contents of it (assuming you haven't set some sort of passcode) but they won't be able to get any network connectivity (unless they ship it to a different country where the IMEI won't be blocked).

24. macrumors 68040

acfusion29

btw, just to clear something up.

the IMEI is only blacklisted on the main carrier, the phone can be unlocked and used on ANY carrier, even in the same country.

so to put that into perspective for some:

if i have an AT&T phone that gets blacklisted, i will be able to use it on T-Mobile.

25. macrumors Nehalem

Applejuiced

AT&T doesn't blacklist any stolen or lost phones in the US.
    Every carrier in each country will vary though.
    If it's blacklisted in the UK for example you could possibly use it on a carrier in Italy or brazil for example.