Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bilbo--baggins

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 6, 2006
UK
Just wondering if anyone has tried using an iPhone 4 in a case with the iPad Dock? Does it fit, does it support the iPhone properly? Which cases have you tried this with. My favourite case at the moment is the Speck Pixelskin HD so I'd be particularly interested for this one.

WesCole

macrumors 6502a
Jul 1, 2010
Texas
I was wondering about this, too. If I have time this week, I might go down to Best Buy and try it out. I will post the results if I go and no one else has commented yet.

Wes

bilbo--baggins

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 6, 2006
UK
Thanks. I looked in my local apple retail store yesterday but they didn't have any on display.

After reading another thread somewhere I have tried out some old adapters in the universal dock and found the the dock adapter #6 is a really good fit. It will require the bottom cutting out to allow proper contact with the dock connector, but this shouldn't be particularly visible. At least this option provides good support from the iPhone unlike using the dock without an adapter. It works well with my pixelskin hd.

sportster

macrumors 6502
Jul 7, 2010
Katy, TX
I have an universal dock and my girlfriend has a bumper on her iPhone 4. I will try out adapter #6 later and test it out. Do you have any pictures of how you cut the adapter?

bilbo--baggins

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 6, 2006
UK
I have an universal dock and my girlfriend has a bumper on her iPhone 4. I will try out adapter #6 later and test it out. Do you have any pictures of how you cut the adapter?

Sorry, I don't have any pictures, and my attempt was fairly crude but does work. Here is a link to another thread where someone has made a neater job.

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/984157/

Interestingly they've used a #9 adapter with the Apple Bumper - the Pixelskin HD is too thick at the back to fit with that one. With the #6 there is a slight gap about 1mm along the back, but it seems to get support at the back corners.

Note: the #6 adapter came with my iPod Universal Dock (made by Apple, with the S-video socket on the back), not with the Apple Universal Dock.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.