Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AllieRosariox

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 8, 2018
I brang out my old iphone 4s from middle school to transfer some files out from it, and stuff...connected to the internet and went about using it, i was using imessage to send things from that phone to another iphone. Back then when i got it, it was a refurbished phone and throughout the time i had back then it froze every now and then. And had random little glitch occourences and all but in general it never reset or anything. (Storage full notifcation popped up while i was using it now...) It was my first iphone, i didnt really know about iphone or ios, itunes or any of that.
i tried downloading some apps and it popped up the "latest ios update needed" ...While i was using it though, the keyboard didnt pop up and then it randomly went black where the keyboard would be, (i think i remember it doing things like that back then too...i can't remember exactly since it was so long ago) it went away then a couple minutes later it shut off (not completely though). it had the loading little circle and it stayed like that for about 2-3 minutes or so. I just forced shut it off by pressing the home and power buttons at the same time... it was 14% batt when it shut off... i turned it on after 2 days and it shows the apple symbol and had a loading bar underneath.... i once again held the home and power buttons and forced shut it off to prevent anything from happening... since i don't know if it reset...or...? What happened here? Is my phone updating to ios or something because it connected to the internet? Or did it reset or is it just a glitch? will it turn on like normal? How do i prevent it from resetting?? I am not too savvy when it comes to anything iphone, i don't know about the whole ios updates and stuff, or how to use itunes, or any of that honestly..... i do not have apple care or any of that either... what can i do to save whats on there and prevent anything from deleting or such.? Thank you in advance xx

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Nov 23, 2011
Did it reset though? Should i turn it on?

The battery ran out of juice, so it turned off unexpectedly. Doesn’t matter about what percentage it had — if the battery is shot, it’ll turn off. Namely why Apple implemented CPU throttling, but that’s a debate for another thread. ;)

That little circle icon means it’s turning off. Replace the battery and you’re all good.

Reactions: AllieRosariox
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.