Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

l0renz

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 13, 2012
Hi

My iPhone 4S keeps getting the error '2001'

I try to restore it with my MacBook Pro Mid 2012 running on the latest OSX (10.8.3)

The iPhone has no battery anymore because it's dead but I read on the internet as long as it is connected to a power source, the phone would be able to boot.

I tried a hard reset but that didn't work either.

I have the latest version of iTunes and Quick Time, my firewall is turned off, all other USB devices are disconnected and restarted my computer...

I can't go to an Apple store either because I bought the phone broken, thinking I could fix it.

What else could be wrong?

Thanks in advance

UPDATE

I manually restored the phone to 6.1.3, this failed.
After messing with TinyUmberella and RedSn0w I'm having new errors:
error 1600 in DFU mode and error 21 in recovery mode...

Attachments

• Screenshot25.png
    Screenshot25.png
    204.7 KB · Views: 956
  • Screenshot24.png
    Screenshot24.png
    205.6 KB · Views: 687
  • Screenshot13.png
    Screenshot13.png
    392.2 KB · Views: 1,425
Last edited by a moderator:

thaboz

macrumors newbie
Sep 6, 2008
Manual restore

Hi Lorenz,

You could try a manual software restore, when connecting the phone you usually get the "Check for Update" and "Restore iPhone..." options.
When you hold down the "alt" key and select "Check for Update" iTunes open a new window where you can select an iPhone software image. These images can be downloaded from:

http://appldnld.apple.com/iOS6.1/091-2611.20130319.Fr54r/iPhone4,1_6.1.3_10B329_Restore.ipsw

When this has finished downloading you select the image and force a restore from here.

l0renz

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 13, 2012
Hi Lorenz,

You could try a manual software restore, when connecting the phone you usually get the "Check for Update" and "Restore iPhone..." options.
When you hold down the "alt" key and select "Check for Update" iTunes open a new window where you can select an iPhone software image. These images can be downloaded from:

http://appldnld.apple.com/iOS6.1/091-2611.20130319.Fr54r/iPhone4,1_6.1.3_10B329_Restore.ipsw

When this has finished downloading you select the image and force a restore from here.
Thank you for your fast reply!
I'm still getting the same error though... Should I try other software versions?

l0renz

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 13, 2012
Thank you for your fast reply!
I'm still getting the same error though... Should I try other software versions?

Oh god, I'm messing it up... Tried to restore to 6.0, now the phone only flashes the Apple logo for a couple of seconds, shuts down and does the same over and over...
The iPhone doesn't show in iTunes either...

thaboz

macrumors newbie
Sep 6, 2008
Hey Lorentz,

I have a feeling the device might have been jailbroken before, this will make restoring the phone to a working iOS a bit more difficult, there are some guidelines here:

http://www.jailbreakqa.com/question...-flashing-apple-logo-reboot-loop-on-iphone-4s

I would try the following first to see if you can get the device into DFU mode:

1. Hold the home button for 3 seconds
2. connect the sync cable with your iPhone
3. Hold down the power button for 8 seconds while still holding home button
4. After see the flashing,Release the power button and continue holding home button for a further 10 seconds
--This will appear the CONNECT TO iTUNES screen.
and you done here.

Good luck!

Thabo

l0renz

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 13, 2012
Hey Lorentz,

I have a feeling the device might have been jailbroken before, this will make restoring the phone to a working iOS a bit more difficult, there are some guidelines here:

http://www.jailbreakqa.com/question...-flashing-apple-logo-reboot-loop-on-iphone-4s

I would try the following first to see if you can get the device into DFU mode:

1. Hold the home button for 3 seconds
2. connect the sync cable with your iPhone
3. Hold down the power button for 8 seconds while still holding home button
4. After see the flashing,Release the power button and continue holding home button for a further 10 seconds
--This will appear the CONNECT TO iTUNES screen.
and you done here.

Good luck!

Thabo
I held the home button down for some time and now the CONNECT TO ITUNES screen is back, disappearing after a while and starts to flash again...
So I repeated the process and connected to iTunes and tried to restore to 6.1.3, now the phone is able again to keep the CONNECT TO ITUNES screen...
I want to test if this is a jailbroken device but I' finding trouble with the guideline...
I am willing to give a small reward via PayPal or bank transfer for the person who helps me out...
Tried TinyUmberella RedSn0w and PwnageTool, doesn't work...

Tyler23

macrumors 603
Dec 2, 2010
Atlanta, GA
I held the home button down for some time and now the CONNECT TO ITUNES screen is back, disappearing after a while and starts to flash again...
So I repeated the process and connected to iTunes and tried to restore to 6.1.3, now the phone is able again to keep the CONNECT TO ITUNES screen...
I want to test if this is a jailbroken device but I' finding trouble with the guideline...
I am willing to give a small reward via PayPal or bank transfer for the person who helps me out...

You can't restore it to any firmware other than the most recent 6.1.3, which is not jailbreakable.

l0renz

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 13, 2012
You can't restore it to any firmware other than the most recent 6.1.3, which is not jailbreakable.

The fact that the phone could be jailbroken doesn't have anything to do with my restoring problems?

l0renz

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 13, 2012

Maybe this brings new insights, I'm having new errors, error 1600 in DFU mode and error 21 in recovery mode, in normal mode it keeps flashing up the apple logo :)

I asked my friend about the history of the phone... It was found on the floor in a dance club and has a cracked screen. I didn't think it would affect the trouble shooting but this will likely be a problem with the motherboard? I ordered a new battery though because that could be the problem too, let's hope.
I've put in the old battery again, this causes the device to show the low battery power screen when connected to a power source but it does not charge. When I try to restore I'm getting the error 2001 back

Attachments

• Screenshot30.png
    Screenshot30.png
    28.3 KB · Views: 440
  • Screenshot31.png
    Screenshot31.png
    382.3 KB · Views: 639
  • Screenshot32.png
    Screenshot32.png
    656.2 KB · Views: 501

thaboz

macrumors newbie
Sep 6, 2008
It was found on the floor in a dance club and has a cracked screen.

In that case the owner might have blocked access to the phone, not sure how aggressive law enforcement agencies have become, maybe the phone is on a blacklist on Apple's servers. I personally would not tinker with a phone that has not been sold directly to me from a trusted source, sorry not willing to help you out with this anymore. Good luck though!

l0renz

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 13, 2012
In that case the owner might have blocked access to the phone, not sure how aggressive law enforcement agencies have become, maybe the phone is on a blacklist on Apple's servers. I personally would not tinker with a phone that has not been sold directly to me from a trusted source, sorry not willing to help you out with this anymore. Good luck though!

Okay, that's honest! After knowing this history I also don't know if I want to continue try fixing this phone. Bringing it to a random police office sounds even more stupid though, I don't think it will ever see its owner again. Thank you for what you did in the past!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.