Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kikoy500

macrumors newbie
Oct 14, 2011
New York
Comparison Test for the iPhone 4s

Nikon D2x - iPhone 3gs - iPhone 4s

6244912688_c668b0295a_b.jpg

-----

Canon Powershot - Nikon D7000 - iPhone 4s

6244399177_54b6833d5b_b.jpg

citi

macrumors 65816
May 2, 2006
Simi Valley, CA
Comparison Test for the iPhone 4s

Nikon D2x - iPhone 3gs - iPhone 4s

-----

Canon Powershot - Nikon D7000 - iPhone 4s

the 4s has good detail, but IMO lacks the depth of the Nikon. Because I don't know the subject, I'm not sure was is oversaturating or undersaturating the image. It appears the Nikon is oversaturating. Do you have a filter on the lense or has there been some after processing?

Stuntman06

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2011
Metro Vancouver, B.C, Canada
Something is diffinitely wrong with at least one of these two cameras. The colour is dramatically different in both of these images. I would expect that one would be clearer than the other, but such a contrast in colours lead me to believe that some improper colour processing is done on one or both of these phones.

nwcs

macrumors 68030
Sep 21, 2009
Tennessee
the 4s has good detail, but IMO lacks the depth of the Nikon. Because I don't know the subject, I'm not sure was is oversaturating or undersaturating the image. It appears the Nikon is oversaturating. Do you have a filter on the lense or has there been some after processing?

I suspect it has more to do with the white balance setting and the color of the lighting. Auto white balance on Nikon (I've used Nikons for 6 years) is not very good indoors with tungsten lighting. It is usually only good outdoors for sunny and partly cloudy skies in the open. I think the wb should have been calibrated first.

japanime

macrumors 68030
Feb 27, 2006
Japan
How does the iPhone 4s camera perform indoors under fluorescent lighting? Do pictures still have a large green/blue splotch in the middle, the way they do when taken with an iPhone 4?

kevin2i

macrumors member
Apr 25, 2011
Really?

Nice, looks like white balance is no longer 'golden'. Tired of the '81A warming filter' look.

Thanks for the image, but do you want the world to know you decorate with Peacock feathers? Really? :rolleyes:

danpass

macrumors 68030
Jun 27, 2009
Glory
Actually, without being there it's hard to know which white balance setting is correct for the lighting conditions. Although auto white balance is always hit or miss except for general outdoor unshaded lighting.
that was my first thought: "i4s seems smarter with the white balance choices"

jhwalker

macrumors 6502
May 31, 2011
Noisy

Sweet Jesus, those are horrid photo's are they not?

Did someone load them into Photoshop and run a heavy noise filter over them? :eek:

Yes, incredibly noisy. Looks like my D3 at about ISO 12800, and it's only ISO 500. So basically good only for outdoors, full sunlight.

Frisco

macrumors 68020
Sep 24, 2002
Utopia
I have a $7,500 professional camera and it takes better pictures than the 4S. I can talk clarity and stuff, but I won't go into detail.

sloan47

macrumors member
Aug 3, 2011
The iPhone 4S' camera is definitely better but there's still a lot of noise for my taste. It's nice for a quick photo but I'd definitely be sticking to my dedicated camera.

bigpoppamac31

macrumors 68020
Aug 16, 2007
Canada
In the two original pics here the colour of the iPhone 4 looks more natural then the 4S. The 4S looks a bit too saturated. Both have good clarity though.

tirerim

macrumors regular
Aug 4, 2006
Something is diffinitely wrong with at least one of these two cameras. The colour is dramatically different in both of these images. I would expect that one would be clearer than the other, but such a contrast in colours lead me to believe that some improper colour processing is done on one or both of these phones.

Colour balance doesn't have an exact answer. The colours of objects that we see in everyday life depend not only on the physical characteristics of the object but also on the frequencies of light reflecting off them and on our brains' perceptions of that light. If you take a "white" object outside on a cloudy day, it will look bluer than on a sunny day; if you take it inside with incandescent lights, it will look yellower. But our brains do a lot of correcting for this: the difference we perceive looking at the same object at different times is much less than the difference if we take an unmodified photograph in each situation and compare them side by side. So how should we colour balance photographs from such different situations? Should they all be identical, corrected to reflect some theoretical ideal of what the colour "should" be? Should they accurately reflect the light that was bouncing around at the time the photograph was taken? Or something else? And let's not forget that we're taking something that existed on a full spectrum and translating it into combinations of only three specific frequencies of light, and then displaying it on a device that cannot actually recreate all the colours that our eyes can perceive. Ultimately, because of the inexact nature of human perception, photography is an art, not a science. There's no "right" answer, only what we perceive as better, and that can change depending on the context.

jacollins

macrumors 6502a
Jun 19, 2010
Important question though, does the 4S camera have that green spot problem in florescent light?

Starfires

macrumors member
Jan 27, 2010
Kashiwa, Japan
Getting there

It does seem to give a more pleasing image out of the camera than the 4, at least based on this. What would be good would be some low ISO samples and to see if they can really compare to a decent compact. In photo IQ I'm sorry but this really can't, though I do realize that the ease of use, sharing and even the retina LCD make it very usable. I personally use HDR Pro to make some remarkable HDRs on the fly.

The iPhones seem to have good processing, even if they are still stuck with terribly small sensors. Larger sensor/ zoom lens to come in future iterations, perhaps?

Surklyn

macrumors regular
Apr 12, 2009
Colour balance doesn't have an exact answer. The colours of objects that we see in everyday life depend not only on the physical characteristics of the object but also on the frequencies of light reflecting off them and on our brains' perceptions of that light. If you take a "white" object outside on a cloudy day, it will look bluer than on a sunny day; if you take it inside with incandescent lights, it will look yellower. But our brains do a lot of correcting for this: the difference we perceive looking at the same object at different times is much less than the difference if we take an unmodified photograph in each situation and compare them side by side. So how should we colour balance photographs from such different situations? Should they all be identical, corrected to reflect some theoretical ideal of what the colour "should" be? Should they accurately reflect the light that was bouncing around at the time the photograph was taken? Or something else? And let's not forget that we're taking something that existed on a full spectrum and translating it into combinations of only three specific frequencies of light, and then displaying it on a device that cannot actually recreate all the colours that our eyes can perceive. Ultimately, because of the inexact nature of human perception, photography is an art, not a science. There's no "right" answer, only what we perceive as better, and that can change depending on the context.

Word. ;)

Jimmy James

macrumors 603
Oct 26, 2008
Magicland
Funny how everyone has managed to avoid mentioning the real improvement: less digital noise.

This!

Noise is always a consideration in small-sensor digital photography. I honestly believed the 8MP images would be noisier. However, I like what I'm seeing here.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.