Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

should i update my 4s (not primary phone) to iOS 9.3.1?

• yes

• no

• maybe but not yet (wait longer for more info)

Results are only viewable after voting.

negroswamy

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 15, 2014
hey guys so my very first iphone was the 64gb 4s and i loved it (and still do). on Oct 7, 2014, i had to swap with my mom cuz she didnt like her 16gb iphone 6 plus. well, now i have my iphone 4s back but found out that she updated the 4s to iOS 9.2.
seriously like every few minutes when i look at the phone, it has lost another 3% battery life or so...it drains RAPIDLY!!! yesterday, i noticed it dropped from 100% to 95% in like 5 minutes and i wasnt even using the phone...
it used to have such a great battery life and i dont know if this sudden drop is from the new iOS 9.2 (i probably used to be on iOS 7 or 8 back when i traded her...i didnt update very often) or if it is just because its a really old phone. its a bit less responsive also (might swipe or press home button and reaction only happens like 3-4 seconds later every once in a while, not constantly - that would be too annoying). basically, its still a good phone, i just want to make it as good as it can possibly be.
i have an iphone SE that i use mainly and this 4s is basically just for other apps and media i dont want on my main phone (basically use it like an ipod now).

• should i go ahead and install 9.3.1?
  • will/is this be jailbreak-able (im only interested in doing this to go back down to a more primitive iOS)?
  • any other tips on how to make this battery life better? (this isnt my primary phone so i can play around with it a little bit)
thanks a lot guys!

Aditya_S

macrumors 6502a
Jan 25, 2016
hey guys so my very first iphone was the 64gb 4s and i loved it (and still do). on Oct 7, 2014, i had to swap with my mom cuz she didnt like her 16gb iphone 6 plus. well, now i have my iphone 4s back but found out that she updated the 4s to iOS 9.2.
seriously like every few minutes when i look at the phone, it has lost another 3% battery life or so...it drains RAPIDLY!!! yesterday, i noticed it dropped from 100% to 95% in like 5 minutes and i wasnt even using the phone...
it used to have such a great battery life and i dont know if this sudden drop is from the new iOS 9.2 (i probably used to be on iOS 7 or 8 back when i traded her...i didnt update very often) or if it is just because its a really old phone. its a bit less responsive also (might swipe or press home button and reaction only happens like 3-4 seconds later every once in a while, not constantly - that would be too annoying). basically, its still a good phone, i just want to make it as good as it can possibly be.
i have an iphone SE that i use mainly and this 4s is basically just for other apps and media i dont want on my main phone (basically use it like an ipod now).

• will/is this be jailbreak-able (im only interested in doing this to go back down to a more primitive iOS)?
  • any other tips on how to make this battery life better? (this isnt my primary phone so i can play around with it a little bit)
thanks a lot guys!
If you want to jailbreak I suggest staying on iOS 9.2 as it will most likely be jailbroken soon but I can't guarantee it.

Reactions: negroswamy

bened

macrumors newbie
Nov 16, 2008
Tokyo

thanks a lot guys!

Don't know about jailbreaks.
But I find 9.3.1 to run more smoothly on my 4S than 9.2.
Hope this helps.

negroswamy

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 15, 2014
If you want to jailbreak I suggest staying on iOS 9.2 as it will most likely be jailbroken soon but I can't guarantee it.

good info thanks

Don't know about jailbreaks.
But I find 9.3.1 to run more smoothly on my 4S than 9.2.
Hope this helps.

it does thanks

If your mum had it for 18 months, it's extremely likely that the battery will be a lot weaker than when you gave it to her.

haha, to the untrained eye, this sounds like a shot at my mom, but i think thats just in my head haha

sounds like you have a bad battery

try replacing it

so i went to the app store, typed in "battery" and downloaded the first or second app. it said my battery health was very poor...tried this same app on my brand new SE and it said perfect. i think you have correctly diagnosed my issue - bad battery.

Yes, update. Then restore it as that sometimes helps.

yes i did the restore but turns out its just an old battery...i went to settings, then battery, and set it to "low power mode" or whatever and a 95% charge has lasted over 2 nights without recharging...since this is my secondary device (dont really NEED it), low power mode seems like a good option for it right now until i really have a need to replace the battery. thanks to everyone for helping out!

now does anyone have any suggestions on how i should use this iphone 4s? i already have an iphone SE for calls and an ipad for my studies...any app suggestions? should i just use it as a 64GB ipod?

thanks guys/gals!

GreyOS

macrumors 68040
Apr 12, 2012
Sell it on eBay or recycle it and buy yourself a drink with the proceeds. Can't see any point holding onto a 4s if you have an SE and an iPad.

negroswamy

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 15, 2014
Sell it on eBay or recycle it and buy yourself a drink with the proceeds. Can't see any point holding onto a 4s if you have an SE and an iPad.
its my very 1st iphone (sentimental - im wierd, i know this) and, except for the battery, ive kept it in mint condition and in a lifeproof case (so its waterproof also)

Reactions: GreyOS

Aditya_S

macrumors 6502a
Jan 25, 2016
good info thanks

it does thanks

haha, to the untrained eye, this sounds like a shot at my mom, but i think thats just in my head haha

so i went to the app store, typed in "battery" and downloaded the first or second app. it said my battery health was very poor...tried this same app on my brand new SE and it said perfect. i think you have correctly diagnosed my issue - bad battery.

yes i did the restore but turns out its just an old battery...i went to settings, then battery, and set it to "low power mode" or whatever and a 95% charge has lasted over 2 nights without recharging...since this is my secondary device (dont really NEED it), low power mode seems like a good option for it right now until i really have a need to replace the battery. thanks to everyone for helping out!

now does anyone have any suggestions on how i should use this iphone 4s? i already have an iphone SE for calls and an ipad for my studies...any app suggestions? should i just use it as a 64GB ipod?

thanks guys/gals!
If you think you can live with the slow performance of the 4s and its battery life, then I guess you can keep it for music, but otherwise, you can give it to Apple for a $50 Apple Store Gift Card and buy an accessory or something.

saudor

macrumors 68000
Jul 18, 2011
which app are you using to determine the health? didnt know that was possible without a jailbreak/computer app

negroswamy

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 15, 2014
which app are you using to determine the health? didnt know that was possible without a jailbreak/computer app
i forgot...just typed "battery" and it was at the top of the list...with a green logo "battery life" something.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.