Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ninjistics

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 3, 2013
Hello everyone,

Just having a few problems with the phone. It seems it wont charge properly(the empty bar with red in it and the charging symbol does show up on screen ie. PIC). This picture stays even after 1hr of charging.

Things I have tried:
  • Holding down the power and home buttons. The apple logo does not appear.
  • Booting phone into recovery mode. Nothing shows up on screen(when apparently this should show up). itunes detects the phone anyway. Restore is a success until the restart phone message. Nothing gets detected after it is done.

• Going on, I figured my PC couldn't detect the iphone so I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling itunes, looking for it in device manager(nothing) and stopping and starting the apple mobile service(nothing).
Edit: I have also tried different computers and cables. I have also tried cleaning the connector port.

So I come here in hope that you guys may be able to solve my problems. Can anyone help?

Fixed: Cleaned port with a brush instead of blowing and now its working. Mods please delete.

Edit3: NVM. It returned.

Edit4: All fixed now.

Last edited:

TheRainKing

macrumors 6502a
Jun 11, 2012
The problem returned.... :(

Oh, sorry to hear that.

What is the current status?

Is your iPhone able to boot up? Are you stuck on the low battery symbol? Are you stuck on the Apple logo? Is the phone detected by iTunes?

ninjistics

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 3, 2013
Oh, sorry to hear that.

What is the current status?

Is your iPhone able to boot up? Are you stuck on the low battery symbol? Are you stuck on the Apple logo? Is the phone detected by iTunes?

Sorry for the late reply. I was hoping that leaving the phone for a few days would make it go away but it didn't. :(

It seems there is a charge despite the low battery status screen. This is the screen that's always shown. Other than that, itunes only detects the phone if I put it in recovery mode but after a restore it's still stuck on the low battery screen despite it being at full charge most likely.

TheRainKing

macrumors 6502a
Jun 11, 2012
Sorry for the late reply. I was hoping that leaving the phone for a few days would make it go away but it didn't. :(

It seems there is a charge despite the low battery status screen. This is the screen that's always shown. Other than that, itunes only detects the phone if I put it in recovery mode but after a restore it's still stuck on the low battery screen despite it being at full charge most likely.

My dad had the same problem with an iPhone 3G he brought off eBay. It showed nothing but the low battery symbol and would only be detected by iTunes when in DFU mode. As soon as I replaced the battery everything worked fine. I can't say for certain whether the same thing would work with your phone, but it seems like it would since your problem is almost identical.

It's up to you whether you feel comfortable replacing the battery yourself or whether you want someone else to do it. The iPhone 4S battery is pretty cheap on eBay and there are plenty of videos on YouTube showing you how to replace them.

Last edited:

ninjistics

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 3, 2013
My dad had the same problem with an iPhone 3G he brought off eBay. It showed nothing but the low battery symbol and would only be detected by iTunes when in DFU mode. As soon as I replaced the battery everything worked fine. I can't say for certain whether the same thing would work with your phone, but it seems like it would since your problem is almost identical.

It's up to you whether you feel comfortable replacing the battery yourself or whether you want someone else to do it. The iPhone 4S battery is pretty cheap on eBay and there are plenty of videos on YouTube showing you how to replace them.

YouTube: video

Thanks for the help. Greatly appreciated. Found a few batteries for about 4 dollars on ebay(Link). Is that too cheap?

TheRainKing

macrumors 6502a
Jun 11, 2012
Thanks for the help. Greatly appreciated. Found a few batteries for about 4 dollars on ebay(Link). Is that too cheap?

That one might be ok, but it looks like it was made by a 3rd party which means it could be unreliable. I would pick an OEM battery like this Link. OEM battery means it's an official iPhone 4S battery so it's more likely to work perfectly.

ninjistics

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 3, 2013
That one might be ok, but it looks like it was made by a 3rd party which means it could be unreliable. I would pick an OEM battery like this Link. OEM battery means it's an official iPhone 4S battery so it's more likely to work perfectly.

Just got the battery and installed it. Everything is working okay now. Thanks again for the help.

It turns out the older battery was overcharged or so from using a power case (I've read that some lithium-ion batteries tend to have this problem, with some people leaving their lithium-ion batteries charging overnight only to have them explode).

Tl;dr Batteries overcharged, exploded, created cracks on back cover which I thought was the cause of a drop. Replaced battery and back cover. All working now.

Gotta admire the design of the battery. No leaks at all. Gotta hate dodgy power pack manufacturers, however :mad:.

TheRainKing

macrumors 6502a
Jun 11, 2012
Just got the battery and installed it. Everything is working okay now. Thanks again for the help.

It turns out the older battery was overcharged or so from using a power case (I've read that some lithium-ion batteries tend to have this problem, with some people leaving their lithium-ion batteries charging overnight only to have them explode).

Tl;dr Batteries overcharged, exploded, created cracks on back cover which I thought was the cause of a drop. Replaced battery and back cover. All working now.

Gotta admire the design of the battery. No leaks at all. Gotta hate dodgy power pack manufacturers, however :mad:.

Glad you got it working. And thanks for the information about power cases, I was interested in getting one of those, but now I'm thinking maybe I shouldn't. :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.