Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

HowardSmith

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2012
Question about the microcell. Since it adds more bars...does that mean texts will go through?
Currently in a spot in Glendale, AZ with 2 bars and an iphone 5. Txts are spotty and calls sometimes don't ring, but just come through as voicemails.
Sorry for thread high jacking.

Yep texts are no problem. It works just like a real tower is by where you live.

kbade

macrumors newbie
Apr 13, 2010
Question about the microcell. Since it adds more bars...does that mean texts will go through?
Currently in a spot in Glendale, AZ with 2 bars and an iphone 5. Txts are spotty and calls sometimes don't ring, but just come through as voicemails.
Sorry for thread high jacking.

Texts (non-iMessage) are sent through the cellular network, with a MicroCell you are essentially setting up a small cell tower, so I would assume yes.

I get no service in my house (full bars outside), and with the microcell I can send texts, so yes, the microcell handles texts.

SAMtheGAM

macrumors 6502
Mar 18, 2011
My battery seems to go down extra fast on the iPhone 5 when I'm at home (MicroCell+wifi), but not so much at work (cell+wifi)... does anyone else lose battery faster at home?

I'm wondering if it is a MicroCell issue, or simply a limited connectivity issue. My guess is that its either searching for 4G or Location Based Services in the background and getting neither of these connections so it keeps searching, thus killing the battery...

Seems like I get about 6-8 hours with little to no usage, while I'm at home. But much much longer if I'm at work...

I do notice my battery drains a little bit faster on microcell compared to being on macrocell network. However, my phone can still last a few days on standby with little use.

I think when phone connected to microcell it refreshes the connection to the microcell more often then when connected to macrocell.

LapsangSouchong

macrumors 65816
Jul 15, 2010
the burrows
My battery seems to go down extra fast on the iPhone 5 when I'm at home (MicroCell+wifi), but not so much at work (cell+wifi)... does anyone else lose battery faster at home?

I'm wondering if it is a MicroCell issue, or simply a limited connectivity issue. My guess is that its either searching for 4G or Location Based Services in the background and getting neither of these connections so it keeps searching, thus killing the battery...

Seems like I get about 6-8 hours with little to no usage, while I'm at home. But much much longer if I'm at work...
Ditto. My M-cell was at work, and I'd always notice battery going down faster at work than home.
I finally gave up and switched to Verizon, and of course the m-cell stopped working. Boss (who shared my m-cell) can't make a call at all. We need to move it to his account. Til he gives up too.

ZipZap

macrumors 603
Dec 14, 2007
Could this be your phone switching on and off let causing Mcell to connect/disconnect?

SAMtheGAM

macrumors 6502
Mar 18, 2011
A trick I learned to maximize microcell transmit range. Find the location in your house that gets the worse reception and place microcell there. As long as it can pickup GPS when microcell is done ranging itself it will use it's maximum power. Then you can move microcell back to it's original location.

I have my microcell 25 feet away from my router and in the center of my home and it works everywhere in my home. When microcell next to router it was able to iPhone was able pick up 1 bar of signal and where microcell is now iPhone picks up no bars of service.

iPhone Addict

macrumors 6502
Jun 18, 2009
San Francisco, CA
Have any of you had any issues with push e-mail notifications not working while connected to the M-Cell?

I have an iPhone 5 and set up push email notifications via my e-mail account.

If I have airplane mode on and then turn on wifi manually --> push works
If I have the phone connected to the cell tower + wifi on --> push works
If I have the phone connected to the M-Cell + wifi on --> push doesn't work
If I have the phone connected to the M-Cell + wifi off --> push doesn't work

Has anyone else had any similar issues?

Thank you.

fredinco

macrumors newbie
Oct 18, 2012
Anyone having problems with conference calling and call waiting on the iPhone 5 with an AT&T Microcell? With the iPhone 5 I am having major trouble with conference calling when using the Microcell.

When I start a conference call, either I start it while on a call or I receive a call while on a call, almost everytime it starts to cut out. Like it has bad reception even though I am most of the time in the same room as the Microcell. I never had this problem with the iPhone 4S or earlier, even when I had iOS 6 on them. I conference call everyday and this problem is really giving me problems.

Has anyone else seen this problem or had it? Thanks.

YES YES!! Have logged tickets with ATT on this, and they say 'no issue'. Have you any better luck?

benhollberg

macrumors 68020
Mar 8, 2010
YES YES!! Have logged tickets with ATT on this, and they say 'no issue'. Have you any better luck?

I haven't talked to AT&T about it but to recently I just end up going into work early to do calls at the restaurant, I haven't even tried conference calling at home in maybe two weeks because of this issue. You are the first person, besides me, I've heard with this problem.

millerhifi

macrumors regular
Sep 25, 2012
Los Angeles Ca

I agree with this 100%!
I'm already having enough problems with battery life while on the wireless network but I turned on MicroCell at home yesterday, don't really need it where I've been living for the last year but I guess I was bored and it was something to do. Battery was dropping like a brick (connected to MicroCell+wifi). I just killed it...

LapsangSouchong

macrumors 65816
Jul 15, 2010
the burrows
Ditto. My M-cell was at work, and I'd always notice battery going down faster at work than home.
I finally gave up and switched to Verizon, and of course the m-cell stopped working. Boss (who shared my m-cell) can't make a call at all. We need to move it to his account. Til he gives up too.
Well, I'm back with the m-cell. I couldn't live with the crippled verizon iphone.
I hope the LTE upgrade in my community helps a bit.

ZipZap

macrumors 603
Dec 14, 2007
The Mcell does not support lte.

Your phone could be trying to switch to it if lte signal is strong. Turn off lte on the phone as a test. Does your battery still drain?

If so, you'll need an lte mcell when AT&T releases. Or you'll need to turn it off.

LapsangSouchong

macrumors 65816
Jul 15, 2010
the burrows
The Mcell does not support lte.

Your phone could be trying to switch to it if lte signal is strong. Turn off lte on the phone as a test. Does your battery still drain?

If so, you'll need an lte mcell when AT&T releases. Or you'll need to turn it off.
I'm hoping I won't need it once we get LTE.

trlyka

macrumors 6502a
Dec 26, 2011
M-Cell Quick Fix

I noticed that my M-Cell isn't connection automatically. According to AT&T, Cisco needs to update something. Until then, the quick fix is to turn on Airplane mode for about 15 sec then turn it off and it should connect. I think rebooting the phone will also work, but the Airplane mode option is obviously quicker.

Also, if you leave the house, you will have to do the Airplane mode fix again once you come back inside. So it only stays on while your within range.

Certainly not what I wanted to hear from AT&T, but until Cisco does a software update, this will be an issue :rolleyes:

So far the iPhone 5 is becoming more of a problem child then a joy to own. Between the signal being worse then with my 4, faster battery drain, and the M-Cell issues. I almost wish I hadn't sold my 4 :confused:

SAMtheGAM

macrumors 6502
Mar 18, 2011
My microcell with iPhone 5 connects automatically when I return home!!! I don't have to toggle airplane mode!!!

I get 1 bar of LTE in my house and I don't have to disable LTE on the phone!!! The phone prefers microcell at home!!!

bushman4

macrumors 601
Mar 22, 2011
Does the M cell give you 3g, 4G or lTE connection on the Iphone5??? I know it was 3G before.

adam044

macrumors 65816
Jan 24, 2012
Boston
Micro cell is still 3G with download at 3.6 megabits however on the iPhone 4S and 5 it will display it as 4G

An this explains why my speed test suck on my iPhone 5 with the microcell. But im connected to my wifi, Guess that's the price you pay to get full service.

And for others mine connects as soon as I pull in my driveway, no airplane toggle necessary

sallen69

macrumors newbie
Oct 30, 2012
Conference issues and initiating a call delays

I also have that issue and when I try to make a call it takes a while to engage and when it finally connects there is interference that allows me to hear the person with three gaps (about 3-5 seconds) then everything is fine.

Anyone having problems with conference calling and call waiting on the iPhone 5 with an AT&T Microcell? With the iPhone 5 I am having major trouble with conference calling when using the Microcell.

When I start a conference call, either I start it while on a call or I receive a call while on a call, almost everytime it starts to cut out. Like it has bad reception even though I am most of the time in the same room as the Microcell. I never had this problem with the iPhone 4S or earlier, even when I had iOS 6 on them. I conference call everyday and this problem is really giving me problems.

Has anyone else seen this problem or had it? Thanks.

MacFly69

macrumors regular
Dec 14, 2008
so is the m cell working as it should with the iP5 now?

i have horrible signal in my home office, but get 4-5 bars when i step outside. AT&T suggested i set up a m-cell, but wanted to first make sure it no longer has issues with the iP5.

tia

LapsangSouchong

macrumors 65816
Jul 15, 2010
the burrows
so is the m cell working as it should with the iP5 now?

i have horrible signal in my home office, but get 4-5 bars when i step outside. AT&T suggested i set up a m-cell, but wanted to first make sure it no longer has issues with the iP5.

tia

It's working for me for standard phone calls (I don't do conference calls). I often notice that the first couple of rings are choppy sounding then the sound is smooth. For me.

SAMtheGAM

macrumors 6502
Mar 18, 2011
A trick I learned to maximize microcell transmit range. Find the location in your house that gets the worse reception and place microcell there. As long as it can pickup GPS when microcell is done ranging itself it will use it's maximum power. Then you can move microcell back to it's original location.

I have my microcell 25 feet away from my router and in the center of my home and it works everywhere in my home. When microcell next to router it was able to iPhone was able pick up 1 bar of signal and where microcell is now iPhone picks up no bars of service.

What has also worked for me is placing my microcell on top of a high bookshelf so the signal has less obstructions in the way.

Also disabling auto handout of calls helps tremendously. Now I can step outside and my call stays on micro cell so when I enter my house the call won't drop. The call will drop if you are not within range of microcell.

The microcell in my area transmits at 1900 and not at 850. If it transmitted at 850 in my area I am sure the range would be even better.

Also there was an firmware update pushed to the microcell last night around 2AM. The microcell rebooted on it's own several times during the process.

I have no issues with an iPhone 5, 4S, 4 with my microcell. Conference calls worked, no delayed calls. I did use to experience call failed issues when placing calls.

MacFly69

macrumors regular
Dec 14, 2008
i'm setting mine up currently and within the 90 minute window.

question during the set up....should the "computer" light, 4th light from the top, be on? i've hooked it up to my wireless router and its plugged in.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.