Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Hippyshakes

macrumors member
Original poster
They don't know what they're talking about because they don't know the meaning of the term "iPod Out".

If they did their research they'd understand that iPod Out is used on less than 1% of all docking systems, almost exclusively confined to a handful of BMW owners with an expensive and uneccessary docking cradle with snap-in adapter.

BJ

And Audi, and Mercedes, and VW, and a slew of whole home audio systems and ..... it matters.

It's so irrelevant that every day in more and more reviews it becomes a larger issue as people find out....
http://www.macworld.com/article/1168555/what_apples_new_lightning_connector_means_for_you.html

"However, the adapters don’t support video-out or iPod mode, the latter a special mode that lets particular accessories, such as car stereos and some whole-home-audio systems, display your iPod’s menus on the accessory’s own screen. More cryptically, the online Apple Store’s product pages note that “some 30-pin accessories are not supported.”"

There are at least 10-12 articles on google search that each in comments have a whole lot of folks not too happy about the purchases that they have made that are now broken or require more money spent to solve. It also doesn't help that this will become a multi million dollar revenue stream for Apple and others as they move to HDMI or VGA solutions.

Hey - is it a 1st world problem sure. Doesn't mean I don't work hard for my money and can't be frazzled at the decision. Apple could make this better by discounting or offering return rebates on older cables.

Last edited:

boltjames

macrumors 601
May 2, 2010
You guys are correct re: iPod interface. Checked it out yesterday on my '11, and it the "iPod" menu interface isn't available using the standard Apple dock connector cable. The iDrive's CD UI is the only way to navigate the iPod/iPhone when connected this way.

I never bought the iPhone snap-in adapter -- glad I didn't now that it would be obsolete for me. Knowing BMW, by the time they come out with an iPhone 5 adapter, the iPhone 6 will be out (and I'm not forgetting the likelihood of an iPhone 5s either).

This may help you understand the key differences between the Cradle approach and the USB approach:

This is the iPod Out full screen display:

ipodoutLP.jpg

This is the standard BMW full screen display:

photo1-1.jpg

This is the iPod Out menu structure:

ipodoutmenu.jpg

This is the standard BMW menu structure:

photox2.jpg

For those that had the iPod Out style, you lose that for a few months but the standard BMW style will work just fine in iDrive and is no slouch.

To clarify very simply:

If you use the Cradle + Snap-in Adapter: No iPhone 5 compatibility until BMW releases a new $200 snap-in adapter.

If you use the USB Port only: Immediate iPhone 5 compatibility with the white Apple Lightning cord that's packed-in with the iPhone 5.

If you use the USB Port + Headphone Jack Y Cable: iPhone 5 compatibility only if you obtain the $30 Lightning adapter.

BJ

Ping Guo

macrumors 6502
Oct 5, 2008
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
It's so amazing to me how many of you guys are dumb enough to even CONSIDER taking a brand new iphone 5 into a car with you. Where would you put it to stop it from moving? What if it got dented? What if it was too hot in the car. I would never consider removing my iphone from the house for the first 6 weeks and it would spend a MINIMUM of 16 hours a day in the box until it was properly broken in.

These aren't free, throw-away, phones people.

:D

I tip my hat to you, sir.

boltjames

macrumors 601
May 2, 2010
And Audi, and Mercedes, and VW, and a slew of whole home audio systems and ..... it matters.

Hey - is it a 1st world problem sure. Doesn't mean I don't work hard for my money and can't be frazzled at the decision. Apple could make this better by discounting or offering return rebates on older cables.

dcr-200-cradle-screens.jpg

No, it doesn't matter.

Anyone who can afford niche home audio systems and BMW's has a beater iPod Touch laying around, they can use that until the proper cable is released.

The journalists are misinformed. They think the term "iPod Out" is the same as "control my iPhone with someone else's controls" and they're wrong. "iPod Out" is a brand name for a display that looks exactly like the image above. If you don't own a product that uses that precise display you DON'T have a problem. Like that in-car system above that no one owns.

It's all misunderstanding and hype. Not much different than antennagate, just a bunch of bloggers looking for the smoking gun that isn't there.

BJ

eoren1

macrumors 6502
Aug 17, 2007
Can someone clear up for me the following:

If I installed a Sony mexbt4000p in my 02 civic and used the new connector (without adaptor) to the USB in on the radio, would I miss any functionality compared to plugging in my current iPhone 4?

Thanks.

newagemac

macrumors 68020
Mar 31, 2010
Can someone clear up for me the following:

If I installed a Sony mexbt4000p in my 02 civic and used the new connector (without adaptor) to the USB in on the radio, would I miss any functionality compared to plugging in my current iPhone 4?

Thanks.

No you wouldn't miss anything. That's the misinformation/misunderstanding that is being spread that the post above you is referring to.

There is absolutely nothing affected if you're using a regular USB port on a head unit. The cable that comes with the iPhone 5 has a regular USB connection on the other end. It works the same as iPhones/iPods always have.

kas23

macrumors 603
Oct 28, 2007
This may help you understand the key differences between the Cradle approach and the USB approach:

This is the iPod Out full screen display:

This is the standard BMW full screen display:

This is the iPod Out menu structure:

This is the standard BMW menu structure:

For those that had the iPod Out style, you lose that for a few months but the standard BMW style will work just fine in iDrive and is no slouch.

To clarify very simply:

If you use the Cradle + Snap-in Adapter: No iPhone 5 compatibility until BMW releases a new $200 snap-in adapter.

If you use the USB Port only: Immediate iPhone 5 compatibility with the white Apple Lightning cord that's packed-in with the iPhone 5.

If you use the USB Port + Headphone Jack Y Cable: iPhone 5 compatibility only if you obtain the $30 Lightning adapter.

BJ

I applaud your efforts and for the life of me wish you were 100% correct. However, Apple says differently.

As I explained on an earlier page, I emailed Tim Cook after the keynote and received a phone call back from a representative named Andrew. He said that the adaptor would allow charging and audio out, but would not allow the artist/tracks to be displayed on the dash. He was fairly sure of this shortcoming. I really hoping he's wrong, but I'm expecting it not to work.

HyperliteG4

macrumors regular
Jul 18, 2002
Southern California
I've been looking at getting the TuneLink, it requires no cables. And from reviews I've read, it seemed to be the best. I emailed the company to hear back about iPhone 5 compatability, and I'm assuming it will work fine since its all Bluetooth.

takeshi74

macrumors 601
Feb 9, 2011
Apple could make this better by discounting or offering return rebates on older cables.
Sure, they could. They've never done so in the past for any of the changes they've made so I'm not sure why anyone would expect otherwise. Tech changes. It's a risk you have to accept unless you enjoy disappointment. I'm not saying that there's no reason to be upset but doing so accomplishes nothing. You need to make the call on how you want to handle the situation. If your car/audio maker doesn't offer a solution and you're not willing to remain with your current device then the aftermarket will probably offer solutions.

It also doesn't help that this will become a multi million dollar revenue stream for Apple and others as they move to HDMI or VGA solutions.
Again, nothing new for Apple. As the old saying goes, "Those who don't learn from history...".

Hippyshakes

macrumors member
Original poster
Sure, they could. They've never done so in the past for any of the changes they've made so I'm not sure why anyone would expect otherwise. Tech changes. It's a risk you have to accept unless you enjoy disappointment. I'm not saying that there's no reason to be upset but doing so accomplishes nothing. You need to make the call on how you want to handle the situation. If your car/audio maker doesn't offer a solution and you're not willing to remain with your current device then the aftermarket will probably offer solutions.

Again, nothing new for Apple. As the old saying goes, "Those who don't learn from history...".

All true - but it doesn't mean that whomever is in charge of communication and PR doesn't have a lot of room for improvement.

My stock went up as did the rest of the shareholders.... :apple: :D

boltjames

macrumors 601
May 2, 2010
I applaud your efforts and for the life of me wish you were 100% correct. However, Apple says differently.

As I explained on an earlier page, I emailed Tim Cook after the keynote and received a phone call back from a representative named Andrew. He said that the adaptor would allow charging and audio out, but would not allow the artist/tracks to be displayed on the dash. He was fairly sure of this shortcoming. I really hoping he's wrong, but I'm expecting it not to work.

I emailed the President of BMW and received a phone call back from a representative named Hans. He laughed and said Andrew doesn't know what he's talking about.

Joking aside, let's use some common sense here. Apple specifically called out two obscure protocols called "Video Out" and "iPod Out" that barely anyone uses, and it was only on the two accessories that have to do with "conversion".

The third accessory they released that no one is referring to is the new USB-To-Lightning Cable which has no such notation about what it can't do.

So the two inferences you can make quite easily:

1. The Two Converters: Since Apple didn't put a disclaimer about "might not work with all devices" or "audio only, no control inputs" as well, they were perfectly honest in saying "iPod Out" and "Video Out" were the only things sacrificed.

2. The One Cable: Since Apple didn't put any disclaimer at all about lack of "iPod Out" and "Video Out" when it came to the non-converting USB cable, one can assume that these functions still exist when using the new cable.

Take it to the bank: The two converters will still work off a steering wheel, the new USB-to-Lightning Cable will do everything the old one did including the obscure "iPod Out" and "Video Out" protocols that no one uses anyway.

BJ

Martyrd0m

macrumors regular
Jun 18, 2010
NJ
I just bought a cadillac srx and it does not support the iphone 4s through blue tooth so I am supposing it also won't support the 5. I can play music with the cable, but I can't control with the cars controls.

Cadillac - give us an update!

I have an 2011 SRX and I can control both music and phone using the dash and steering wheel controls find when connected to the 30-pin with my 4S.

TheMacBookPro

macrumors 68020
May 9, 2008
You say "Lightning is all digital, and the adapter cannot convert the signal to analogue for the car."

Huh?

That's exactly the reason the adapter exists. Converts a digital iPhone 5 output to an analog signal so it can talk to a 30 pin input.

The iPod Out protocol is the only thing Apple decided not to support. Everything else will work for you with the $30 adapter. The amount of misinformation here is staggering.

Yes, I have a 64GB iPhone 5 on order. It will plug straight in to my 2013 328i and work as expected.

BJ

I certainly hope you're correct. But from this CNET article:

older BMW models, use an adapter cable that feeds the analog audio signal from the 30-pin connector to a 1/8-inch audio input, and a USB port to feed control signals between iPhone and car (i.e.: Y cable). Lightning does not have the capability to send an analog signal, so Apple's adapter will not work in those vehicles.

But if your car uses solely the white Apple cable:

Many other cars use a simple USB port to connect to a white iPhone cable. In these systems, the car receives audio as a digital signal, and plays it through the speakers using the car stereo's own digital analog converter, so the new Lightning port should work with the new device's own cable.

Unless you have information suggesting otherwise...?

Dennis187

macrumors regular
Jun 26, 2010
below you
What's a good solution for a 2007 Audi A4? Wait for Spec dock to release one for the iPhone 5 or are there any aux cables I can buy that plugs into the back of the radio?

boltjames

macrumors 601
May 2, 2010
I certainly hope you're correct. But from this CNET article:

older BMW models, use an adapter cable that feeds the analog audio signal from the 30-pin connector to a 1/8-inch audio input, and a USB port to feed control signals between iPhone and car (i.e.: Y cable). Lightning does not have the capability to send an analog signal, so Apple's adapter will not work in those vehicles.

As stated numerous times, I believe they are wrong. It makes no sense that an older analog solution wouldn't work when the iPhone 5's digital is converted to.....wait for it.....analog. We'll see next week.

And if indeed it doesn't work, well, BMW owners will have their old iPhone 4's and a handful of old iPod Touch's and they will work just fine in their old cars. My dad didn't cry when Mercedes dropped the 8 Track player; he just bought cassettes. If certain owners of old BMW's had this makeshift Y cable it means they didn't have full iDrive integration so there was no use for the iPhone other than to be a glorified iPod anyway, no one's going to cry about it.

BJ

Press22

macrumors 6502
Jun 6, 2010
Las Vegas
This might have bothered me as in my BMW if I use BT I can't use the NAV at the same time.

But I did the first gen ipod recall and use the nano for my car. :D

TheMacBookPro

macrumors 68020
May 9, 2008
I don't know if anyone's noticed, but Apple seem to have edited the overview to specifically state that analog audio output is supported.

http://store.apple.com/us/product/MD823/lightning-to-30-pin-adapter
This adapter lets you connect devices with a Lightning connector to many of your 30-pin accessories.* Support for analog audio output, USB audio, as well as syncing and charging. Video output not supported.

iPod out not being supported was also deleted. Looks like everyone's in business.

As stated numerous times, I believe they are wrong. It makes no sense that an older analog solution wouldn't work when the iPhone 5's digital is converted to.....wait for it.....analog. We'll see next week.

And if indeed it doesn't work, well, BMW owners will have their old iPhone 4's and a handful of old iPod Touch's and they will work just fine in their old cars. My dad didn't cry when Mercedes dropped the 8 Track player; he just bought cassettes. If certain owners of old BMW's had this makeshift Y cable it means they didn't have full iDrive integration so there was no use for the iPhone other than to be a glorified iPod anyway, no one's going to cry about it.

BJ

My M5 uses the Y cable and supports BMW Apps, iPod out and ConnectedDrive/Office. If that isn't full iDrive integration, I don't know what is. Might a Euro-only quirk.

Based on the change that Apple have done to the Overview of the adapter, looks like their original description was incorrect so you're correct.

Hippyshakes

macrumors member
Original poster

BJ

I love how you keep commenting on what you "believe" and how every other journalist and article is wrong.

This is about ANY device that uses Video Out is ****ed for now. Any consumer would be unhappy if they are overlooked or must pay a premium to get back to what they have had as "normal".

You reek of bitterness in your posts which is why nothing you reply with gets an ounce of cred in my book.

It's an oversight or planned profit move - but for many - an inconvenience and we don't have to like it. No matter your feckless keystrokes.

I'd stop posting today if I knew Apple was prepared with a solution. That's more than you bring to this situation other than just saying everyone else is wrong and you're right....... "because".

kas23

macrumors 603
Oct 28, 2007
If certain owners of old BMW's had this makeshift Y cable it means they didn't have full iDrive integration so there was no use for the iPhone other than to be a glorified iPod anyway, no one's going to cry about it.

BJ

I use the "makeshift" Y cable in my 2008 328xi and it gives me full iDrive integration. You know, I like what I'm hearing from you for the most part, but a lot of stuff you are writing is either wrong or circumstantial.

I'm also appreciative of the changes Apple made to their adaptor description. Seems more promising now. I just wish we didn't have to wait a month or so to find out what the real function of the adaptor is.

Last edited:

trevorlc

macrumors member
Jun 13, 2007
Much as i appreciate being told what's what, yes I do.

I don't have a screen in the car that's capable of showing video/album art, so I'm pretty sure I must have a different entertainment package to what you have in yours - and it DOES NOT WORK with the standard USB cable.

Sorry, Did not mean to come across like that.

If you wouldn't mind, what splitter cable do you have?

30 Pin -> USB & 1/8" Stereo (Called BMW iPod Interface Adapter)
or
30 Pin -> USB & 1/8" Stereo & Accessory Port/Cigarette Lighter Plug (Called BMW iPhone Charging Cable)

I'm Just trying to understand, because on the BMW accessory finder those both show up on several model years including 2011, but disappear when you select 2012 model year.

Also side note, when I tested with my car I first tried an aftermarket cable I happened to have near the garage and it did not work, but when I used an genuine apple cable it works no problem.

petethepanda

macrumors member
Jun 30, 2010
Sounding like my Hyundai 30pin-to-USB-and-1/8 adapter could potentially work with the Lightning adapter... it'll be hilarious if iOS 6 winds up storming in and screwing up compatibility more than the hardware, lol. Could easily see that happening.

trevorlc

macrumors member
Jun 13, 2007
I leave my iPod in the car too as I always seem to forget my phone in the center compartment if I connect that up, but I'm still a bit disappointed that I won't be able to use the BMW Apps/ConnectedDrive features anymore.

What year is your car?

You might try BMW Apps with your current iPhone and a standard 30pin->USB cable. I had never done it before the other day because I was always under the impression you HAD to use the snap in dock for Apps and such but when testing I figured I'd give it a shot and to my surprise I was able to use it no problem, and successfully used it to make a Facebook post to rule out that it was just showing data from last time or something.

The only things that would not work via the standard USB Cable was Videos from the iPhone and the the iPod Out interface.

It seems based on the reading I've done here and a few other places, they tend to change the backend quite a bit on the in car entertainment system, so some models/years can do things others can't. Which also causes the dealers to not always have the right answer, since I thought you had to use the dock for anything beyond basic iPod and I now know thats not true.

boltjames

macrumors 601
May 2, 2010
I love how you keep commenting on what you "believe" and how every other journalist and article is wrong.

This is about ANY device that uses Video Out is ****ed for now. Any consumer would be unhappy if they are overlooked or must pay a premium to get back to what they have had as "normal".

You reek of bitterness in your posts which is why nothing you reply with gets an ounce of cred in my book.

It's an oversight or planned profit move - but for many - an inconvenience and we don't have to like it. No matter your feckless keystrokes.

I'd stop posting today if I knew Apple was prepared with a solution. That's more than you bring to this situation other than just saying everyone else is wrong and you're right....... "because".

Look at the thread title. This thread is about iPhone 5 integration in your car. You're trying to make this about blenders and toasters and that's confusing things. And since Video Out appears in about 0% of cars and since iPod Out appears in about 1% of cars I'd argue that your harping on this situation isn't appropriate in this thread and actually isn't appropriate at all.

And, big picture:

1. No one is putting a gun to the head of an owner of a 2007 BMW and demanding that he buy the most cutting-edge new phone whilst he holds onto an old, used car.

2. For those driving an old, used car, they fully understand that lots of things aren't compatible with it and they don't have high expectations. The best match for a 2007 BMW owner would be an iPhone 4S since it's the last model designed around a 30 pin analog connection and works perfectly with their old cars. It runs iOS6, problem solved.

Apple has done a phenomenal job with the 30 pin connector, got us tons of seamless integration across a decade of automobiles time and time again. But it's 2012 and that analog connector has hit its limit and we're moving on. In its own way, this is no different than the move from 8 Track to Cassette to CD. I don't recall the owner of a 1979 Accord having an expectation that Honda owed him a CD player once they were released in 1983 because he was left with an obsolete option in his old, used car.

BJ

----------

I use the "makeshift" Y cable in my 2008 328xi and it gives me full iDrive integration. You know, I like what I'm hearing from you for the most part, but a lot of stuff you are writing is either wrong or circumstantial.

I'm also appreciative of the changes Apple made to their adaptor description. Seems more promising now. I just wish we didn't have to wait a month or so to find out what the real function of the adaptor is.

See my prior post. There comes a time that your 5 year old car has a technology that is no longer supported and you have to make alternate arrangements. The iPhone 4S running iOS6 would be my first recommendation, or get a beater iPod Touch for the music integration and an iPhone 5 via Bluetooth for the phone integration. I have a 2013 F30 and that's what I do merely because I don't want to trap my phone in an armrest dock, the BMW apps are worthless, and I have a few iPod's lying around the house after all these years and iterations.

It won't take a month to know the answer. It's likely these adapters will be in stores for the first few on lines this Friday.

BJ

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.