Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacBookPro13"

macrumors 6502a
Jan 25, 2011
Ireland
Usage:

Text Messaging
Wi-Fi Browsing
Facebook, Twitter, Email
Couple of Calls
Light games

8 hours (active)
1 day (total time)

Impressed with that.

Megalobyte

macrumors 6502a
Dec 30, 2007
Florida
What do you guys think about mine? I am not very impressed when I look at some of yours, especially those with 1 or 2 days of standby

I'm almost certain that most times you see a usage figure of 9.5 to 10.5 hours, the phone played music either through its iPod/speakers/earphone function or BT streaming, with the screen off.

Hell, I can get a 10.5 hour use stat if 2 hours throughout the day was music.

But realistically, you can expect 6-8 hours actual use, closer to 6 with more cellular use, closer to 8 with more wifi.

The point is, take the 10+ use claims with a grain if salt, it's very likely they were doing something that artificially inflates usage times like music or certain apps that operate with very low power consumption. I'm betting a good average use time with no music is about 7.5 hours, which frankly, is pretty great for such a fast and powerful phone.

Adutrumque

macrumors 65816
Mar 8, 2012
Sweden
I'm almost certain that most times you see a usage figure of 9.5 to 10.5 hours, the phone played music either through its iPod/speakers/earphone function or BT streaming, with the screen off.

Hell, I can get a 10.5 hour use stat if 2 hours throughout the day was music.

But realistically, you can expect 6-8 hours actual use, closer to 6 with more cellular use, closer to 8 with more wifi.

The point is, take the 10+ use claims with a grain if salt, it's very likely they were doing something that artificially inflates usage times like music or certain apps that operate with very low power consumption. I'm betting a good average use time with no music is about 7.5 hours, which frankly, is pretty great for such a fast and powerful phone.

Not really lul. Sir, you're very wrong in this regard. Check my posthistory.

----------

RESTORE your iphone, worked with mine, now I'm getting 10-13h usage on wifi.
Troll.
Pic or it didn't happen. I might reconsider if you had 1% screenbrightness and you were browsing forums all the time.

grenhall

macrumors regular
Feb 6, 2011
Sweden

----------

Troll.
Pic or it didn't happen. I might reconsider if you had 1% screenbrightness and you were browsing forums all the time.

He doesn't need to be a troll. You can have that too. But you need to switch everything off but especially cellular data. Without Cellular Data everyone can have 10h usage. But then again... Once you leave your WiFi you're screwed.

Adutrumque

macrumors 65816
Mar 8, 2012
Sweden
He doesn't need to be a troll. You can have that too. But you need to switch everything off but especially cellular data. Without Cellular Data everyone can have 10h usage. But then again... Once you leave your WiFi you're screwed.

He wrote 13 hrs if you put your glasses on.
And yes, cellular is a power drainer.

By the way- everyone can't get 10hrs on wifi. That's a faulty assumption. Every battery doesn't work the same.

Sharule

macrumors newbie
Oct 31, 2012

----------

Troll.

This was with auto-brightness. I was at home all day so between 20-50% brightness. Cellural off only wifi. I did some browsing, whatsapped alot, exchanges some mails and pictures and watched about 15mins youtube, used fb alot, 1 phone call 5mins and 1 video call with tango for about 20 min. Instagram, twitter, thumb app and maybe more dont remember, mails op push. Location service on.

I can get more if I browse less.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    131.9 KB · Views: 57
Last edited:

Sharule

macrumors newbie
Oct 31, 2012
Like you see below now im on 84% been using it for 3 hours. Im from europe btw

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    132.4 KB · Views: 56

kalexn

macrumors 6502
Sep 17, 2012
Texas
I thought my battery was doing really well but today it has been horrible. I wonder if it could be a fluke but in the past hour it has been doing nothing but sitting there and it has gone down 9%. I don't have LTE or Push turned on, no Bluetooth etc.

It was doing so well until today it has just gone down a ton! I did use the radio app earlier this morning for maybe 45 minutes but other than that just normal talking, email and browsing.

I cannot upload a picture from this computer but it is currently at 27% battery with usage as 3 hours 22 minutes and standby as 12 hours, 22 minutes.

msaftw

macrumors member
Jun 18, 2010
Houston, Tx
He wrote 13 hrs if you put your glasses on.
And yes, cellular is a power drainer.

By the way- everyone can't get 10hrs on wifi. That's a faulty assumption. Every battery doesn't work the same.

if you don't get 10+ hours of usage with cellular off then something's wrong with your battery just saying.

Argentine86

macrumors regular
Nov 30, 2011
Def not getting these numbers. And why do some of you cut cellular when in Wifi, doesn't that not allow you to make/take phone calls? I need a fully opertional phone, not a half phone/iPod

eb35a0f6-5b7d-4be8-810c-f2595c0baddf.jpg

Adutrumque

macrumors 65816
Mar 8, 2012
Sweden
In one second im getting 9 hrs and now 5 hrs left.. 3G browsing and the Simpsons ..

6 hrs usage 3G 16% left

Last edited:

MathijsDelva

macrumors regular
Feb 28, 2008
It seems this has lots of different background stories.. One thing i noticed for my specific iPhone is that once i started using 3G, it dropped like a *fill in whatever you want* and got hot real bad.

So, i normally use edge and everything was fine. I got about 1 hour of usage and 1.5 hours of standby and was still on 99%. But, then, i needed to upload a few shots i took with my camera so i switched on 3G. Then all hell broke loose. My iPhone started to get hot and i lost about 19% in 8 minutes. I didn't know what to do so i did the following:

- Double click homebutton
- Close all open apps
- Did a hard reboot (hold home & power button)

But then something really strange happened. After the hard reboot, i double click the homebutton again and i noticed ALL my apps were running! Even the ones i didn't start before the reboot. So i closed them once again until only system preferences was running. Then it cooled down and my battery percentage started to stagnate.

So i don't know if this a general problem, or just one of the many problems regarding battery life; but there DEFINITELY is something wrong with the cellular (edge or 3G or 4G, i don't know) switch and/or in combination with some or all apps (or code behind it).

JayGlow

macrumors newbie
Oct 23, 2012
Got a brand new replacement from the Apple store last night.

So far the battery seems even worse :-/

Overnight it dropped about the double the amount the last one would have done.

Guess I need to do a few full cycles though.

Is there any benefit to doing a dfu restore anyway? Will it ever harm a phone? Is it a good idea to dfu restore all phones just to make sure they are "clean"?

Desorbed

macrumors newbie
Nov 2, 2012
I've been using my iPhone 5 moderately every day, just average use, and I've had no battery issues what so ever. I have my brightness on 50%.

KidStallyn

macrumors 6502
Mar 6, 2008
I've already had one phone replaced. The 2nd one is better, but I still have to charge it by 1pm ish. All I'm doing is listening to music from the iPods. I'm already at 51% and it's only 9:57 here on the left coast. Frustrating. My iPhone 4 I never had to plug in during the day.

rd261

macrumors regular
Sep 24, 2007
My battery is amazing as long as I'm using just wifi or 3G. The moment I turn on lte it goes down the drain. It may be because lte is spotty where I live and it has to change often between 3G and lte. Hopefully that changes once lte is widely available.

epphllps

macrumors 6502
Mar 13, 2011
West TN
I think in general that we are just not going to get what apple states no matter what updates come our way. Let us look at this very simple. More power hungry phone...same size battery.

We are thinking to hard. I know a more power efficient CPU is present and that will be someone's argument, but I think it is as simple as the battery just not having enough juice to adequately meet their expectations as hardware/software advances. They added what...20mah or thereabouts. That really gained us a cpl minutes. Just my opinion but I think this is really the simple truth.

solo118

macrumors 65816
May 16, 2011
I think in general that we are just not going to get what apple states no matter what updates come our way. Let us look at this very simple. More power hungry phone...same size battery.

We are thinking to hard. I know a more power efficient CPU is present and that will be someone's argument, but I think it is as simple as the battery just not having enough juice to adequately meet their expectations as hardware/software advances. They added what...20mah or thereabouts. That really gained us a cpl minutes. Just my opinion but I think this is really the simple truth.

You are correct. I don't think anybody can expect using the ip5 for 8 hrs on LTE while using notifications, location services etc. Same way you don't expect your car to get the advertised MPG.

I do however expect decent performance from the battery. If Apple claims 8hrs, and I only get 4hrs yeah I will be upset and want an exchange. I got an exchange a couple of days ago and my usage was 4-41/2 hours on the initial phone, now I am on track to get 6 1/2-7 hrs usage with the exact same settings.

I am completely happy with even 6 hours of usage, and if need be I always have a usb cable at work and in the car to charge up if needed.

For those who can not live with their battery life (considering they get a decent usage number) you can always pick up a portable battery backup. I got a 5600mah battery backup for $30 on Amazon and I am very happy with it for the long haul air travel etc.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.