Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Is your black iPhone 5 scuffed, chipped or scratched?

• Flawless

Votes: 1,158 46.1%
  • Flawless because I put a case on it.

Votes: 198 7.9%
  • Scuffed out of the box

Votes: 820 32.7%
  • Scuffed/scratched shortly after

Votes: 334 13.3%

• Total voters

squidkitten

macrumors 6502
Mar 10, 2012
Omaha
So I'm still going to probably swap out my phone for a replacement in the next 60 days (as per the notes the Genius put on my serial number) because of my out of box damage, even though my damage is really small and hard to notice. He told me that I can get it swapped out it even if I manage to get a few more scuffs due to normal usage, as long as I don't bust my screen or something.

My case will get in the mail tomorrow, but I think I'll take today as an opportunity to really see how easily scuffed the black gets with normal use. In the last 24 hours I've treated mine about the same as I treat my iPhone 4 when it's not in a case, maybe a tad more delicately, but today I'm going ~out and about~ so this sucker is going into my bag without a case on it.

The pocket I keep it in is empty of other stuff, but it's a three year old bag, so who knows what lint or residue is in the creases of the fabric. We'll see if the black rubs off just from this. If it does, I'll try make a big deal about swapping for white. I saw it in person at the Apple Store yesterday, and it's actually really beautiful.

ADMProducer

macrumors regular
Mar 28, 2010
Launch day iPhone 4 metal band is almost perfect to this day (was later converted to white) so that's 2.5 years-ish.

5zTh

Launch day iPhone 5, 3 days old. Wear and tear in pocket with keys/coins and general use. Same level of care as the above phone.

9I15

Robb.

macrumors member
Sep 20, 2012
ju8i8p.jpg

Seems as if this is the only out of the box imperfection in the finish on mine. Disappointed that quality control could let nearly 40% of phones out of the factory like this.

kellte2

macrumors 6502
Jul 10, 2005
So I'm still going to probably swap out my phone for a replacement in the next 60 days (as per the notes the Genius put on my serial number) because of my out of box damage, even though my damage is really small and hard to notice. He told me that I can get it swapped out it even if I manage to get a few more scuffs due to normal usage, as long as I don't bust my screen or something.

I am going to try for this same result when I go to my appointment tomorrow. Did you say anything in particular to get the genius to agree to placing this type of note on your serial, or was it pretty freely offered because of the lack of guarantee in getting a better unit at this time?

yoshimeow

macrumors member
Sep 19, 2012
I disagree. Based on the data collected here.

Ummm dont you think the sample size is skewed? 99% of the population dont know about macrumors or care about this site. Do you think the millions of people thst got a iphone with no issues are going to come here and vote? NO its mostly going to be people who were worried in the first place or the people that actually got a messed up phone.

Robb.

macrumors member
Sep 20, 2012
Ummm dont you think the sample size is skewed? 99% of the population dont know about macrumors or care about this site. Do you think the millions of people thst got a iphone with no issues are going to come here and vote? NO its mostly going to be people who were worried in the first place or the people that actually got a messed up phone.

I don't think you know how statistics work. People even reported that the device is flawless out of the box, or that they damaged the device. I don't believe that there was speculation of damage before the phone was launched.

1502 people responded to the poll. 1087 reported undamaged devices. 415 people reported out of the box damage.

MMM.PWR

macrumors 6502
Sep 21, 2009
Milwaukee
99% of what population? certainly not the population buying the expensive Apple products like the iPhone, iPad, and computers. :rolleyes:

charliecc

macrumors regular
Jul 24, 2008
Yeah I voted for a defective phone and I don't even own an iPhone. However, can't be denied there's a serious problem. Also, I'd be surprised if it doesn't get worse as people handle their phones more.

networkr

macrumors newbie
Nov 20, 2008
99% of what population? certainly not the population buying the expensive Apple products like the iPhone, iPad, and computers. :rolleyes:

the poll doesn't account for people who bought multiple iphone5s with scuffs and the general population who are not on macrumors....

Being at the apple store for the last 2 days... about 7-6 out of 10 people had this issue.

UFBoy2323

macrumors member
Sep 21, 2012
My iP5 had 2 small nicksnthe edges. I could live with it if Iwas sent an extra charger or headphones to sweeten deal for me having a used looking phone out of box.... How did you guys negotiate a charger to be senttoyou over phone instead of returning.

TIA

gizmoman0

macrumors newbie
Oct 8, 2010
yup have a friend who worked opening day at an apple store and said like half of them he's seen have defects. Major quality control issues. His first had a defect, decided to get a new one, it too had a defect, said screw it and got a case

Oppressed

macrumors 65816
Aug 15, 2010
I don't think you know how statistics work. People even reported that the device is flawless out of the box, or that they damaged the device. I don't believe that there was speculation of damage before the phone was launched.

1502 people responded to the poll. 1087 reported undamaged devices. 415 people reported out of the box damage.

This poll is imperfect. There is nothing stopping people who don't even own an iPhone 5 from hitting one of those buttons. Trolls could be pressing the "flawed out of the box" button just to troll. For that reason it shouldn't be any indicator of actual real life numbers.

Is there an issue? Yes, but no one can safely say this is affecting 40% of iPhone 5 purchasers.

MMM.PWR

macrumors 6502
Sep 21, 2009
Milwaukee
the poll doesn't account for people who bought multiple iphone5s with scuffs and the general population who are not on macrumors....

Being at the apple store for the last 2 days... about 7-6 out of 10 people had this issue.

All I'm saying is that I think more than 1% of the total population who bought an iPhone knows about macrumors, ESPECIALLY on launch / preordered.

pat park

macrumors 6502a
Nov 29, 2011
California

Or people who obsess over Apple products and have no life outside of this forum.

The vast public does not know about this forum or would even care to sign up for an account. This poll amongst hardcore MR folks does not represent the total buying public.

Who has the real data? Apple. Let them figure this out. If you receive a phone that is whack, take it back.

Robb.

macrumors member
Sep 20, 2012
This poll is imperfect. There is nothing stopping people who don't even own an iPhone 5 from hitting one of those buttons. Trolls could be pressing the "flawed out of the box" button just to troll. For that reason it shouldn't be any indicator of actual real life numbers.

I believe that 1500 votes give an accurate representation at this point, given each vote is currently weighted about ~.06%.

Yes, MR is a specific buying group, however that does not change the statistics of how many damaged phones came out of the factory. If I took a random group of 1500 people and asked them to weigh in on their defects, I firmly believe that a similar amount of people would report back with defects.

c0mm0n

macrumors member
Jul 28, 2008
No problems (yet) on mine, bought in Apple Store France

Name: iPhone 5
ModelCode: iphone_5
Model Number: MD299
Group1: iPhone
Group2:
Generation: 7
Model introduced: 2012
Production year: 2012
Production week: 36 (September)
Family name: Become a pro user to see this information. (sorry)
Screen size: 4 inch
Screen resolution: 1136x640 pixels
Colour: Black
Capacity: 32GB
Factory: C3 (China)

R

rsoxtim

I have no case yet on my black iPhone 5 and no scuffs/damage/etc after a full weekend of heavy use. Very satisfied.

Oppressed

macrumors 65816
Aug 15, 2010
I believe that 1500 votes give an accurate representation at this point, given each vote is currently weighted about ~.06%.

Yes, MR is a specific buying group, however that does not change the statistics of how many damaged phones came out of the factory. If I took a random group of 1500 people and asked them to weigh in on their defects, I firmly believe that a similar amount of people would report back with defects.

You might be surprised if you we're to do that because if you did take 1500 random iPhone 5 buyers do you think they would be just as picky or even have the ability to notice the kind of scuffs that people are explaining about in this thread? Look at same of pictures in this thread and they are literally single small dots on their phones, and many of which are less than 1 mm thick. There is a high chance that the the average customer would either not notice it or not care enough to mark it as scuffed on a survey. Again there is a problem but this poll still won't indicate mass market.

Robb.

macrumors member
Sep 20, 2012
You might be surprised if you we're to do that because if you did take 1500 random iPhone 5 buyers do you think they would be just as picky or even have the ability to notice the kind of scuffs that people are explaining about in this thread? Look at same of pictures in this thread and they are literally single small dots on their phones, and many of which are less than 1 mm thick. There is a high chance that the the average customer would either not notice it or not care enough to mark it as scuffed on a survey. Again there is a problem but this poll still won't indicate mass market.

Being picky has nothing to do with it. "Having the ability" seems to be insulting. Anybody has the ability (assuming no disabilities, etc...) to notice the imperfections on their device.

Damage is damage.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.