Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

iphone_4_side_shot.jpg

Bloomberg reports on an article from Russian business newspaper RBC Daily claiming that wireless carriers are in discussions with Apple to launch the iPhone 5 in that country as soon as November.
Apple Inc. (AAPL)'s iPhone 5 may start selling in Russia in November, "almost immediately" after sales begin in the U.S., RBC Daily reported, citing handset retailers it didn't identify.
The report notes that previous iPhone models have been slow to officially make their way to Russia, setting up a large market for unauthorized device sales. Russian mobile phone operators are obviously eager to bring Apple's latest iPhone models to the country as soon as possible in order to capitalize on their popularity with official distribution.

Claims of the iPhone 5 making its way to China as soon as October have also appeared in recent days as carriers in countries around the world seek to gain access to the rumored forthcoming device as close as possible to the U.S. launch. Apple has historically staggered its international rollouts to prioritize its biggest markets and those where distribution is simplest. But a number of countries with large populations such as China, India, and Russia have often seen device launches come well after the initial wave.

Article Link: iPhone 5 Coming to Russia in November?

buckers

macrumors 6502
Aug 18, 2010
Anglesey, UK
Overkill?

Can we put all the rumours onto one page, say all in a table? All different stories on rumours are getting pretty confusing! :)

EDIT: For iPhone 5

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; de-de) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

probably released by the end of sept in the US, Germany, UK, France folliwed by others in oct and so on. me, the analyst has spoken

Aug 19, 2008
Geez, whatever happened to September?

As usual, September for main countries such: US, UK, Canada, France, Germany, Mexico, Australia and Japan...

And one month later for other additional countries, including Russia.

cvaldes

macrumors 68040
Dec 14, 2006
somewhere else
Geez, whatever happened to September?
Apple staggers the international rollout of many of its products like the iPhone and iPad.

Their manufacturing partners simply do not have the capacity to provide enough inventory for a simultaneous worldwide release. Apple stages the rollout with the United States as their top market, followed by some of the larger European markets (UK, France), Canada, Australia, and a few others.

Then the factories switch their lines over to produce inventory for the next wave of countries. Remember, while the hardware is the same, they would want the iPhones to boot in the local country's main language, with documentation, packaging, and power charger to match that of the destination.

From a supply standpoint, it would be easier for Apple to ship to a secondary market like Russia a month or two after the primary launch to the primary markets: hence US in late September/early October, Russia in November.

Note that Apple has not finished the international rollout of the iPad 2. It will probably be another six months before they do, which makes these rumors of an iPad 3 in the fall to be highly doubtful.

Discoverer

macrumors regular
Nov 15, 2010
What's the point. Nobody there will be able to afford it anyway.Except for the corrupted politicians, of course. That's why there is no Apple Store in Russia and never will be.

Instead, Apple should invest more into Georgia, where democracy actually exists.

xriderx11

macrumors regular
Jul 26, 2010
What's the point. Nobody there will be able to afford it anyway.Except for the corrupted politicians, of course. That's why there is no Apple Store in Russia and never will be.

Instead, Apple should invest more into Georgia, where democracy actually exists.

What are you talking about? My cousins are from Moscow and they have about 20 apple stores in that city.... Also ALOT of people can afford apple products... Your getting confused with the 1970's and today... Today a lot of people have money in western Russia... Only some parts of Russia are poor, just like the united states....

Discoverer

macrumors regular
Nov 15, 2010
What are you talking about? My cousins are from Moscow and they have about 20 apple stores in that city.... Also ALOT of people can afford apple products... Your getting confused with the 1970's and today... Today a lot of people have money in western Russia... Only some parts of Russia are poor, just like the united states....

There are no Apple Stores in Russia. There are only Apple authorized resellers, which are not the same thing. Also, most Russians live on levels that go beyond poverty. That is one problem with many foreigners. They see Moscow or Petersburg and think that that's Russia. It is not. Visit Ivanovo, or Kostroma, or any other city and tell me if you can find people with "money" when most people there can't afford to pay for water.

devianter

macrumors member
Feb 21, 2010
There are no Apple Stores in Russia. There are only Apple authorized resellers, which are not the same thing. Also, most Russians live on levels that go beyond poverty. That is one problem with many foreigners. They see Moscow or Petersburg and think that that's Russia. It is not. Visit Ivanovo, or Kostroma, or any other city and tell me if you can find people with "money" when most people there can't afford to pay for water.

When people talk about Russia they usually mean Moscow or St.Petersburg. Like when people talk about USA they mean New York, DC, Los Angeles etc. Visit Camden (NJ) or Sarasota in US , i bet half the population doesn't give a flying F about iPhone there either. And by the way, who gives a heck if it's an "official" Apple store or a reseller. You need an iPhone or a Mac, or you just need the "ultimate shopping experience"?

xriderx11

macrumors regular
Jul 26, 2010

Moscow and st Petersburg are the main city's of Russia and what are you talking about that they arnt official apple stores??? They sell apple products and only apple products....

Pablo90

macrumors member
Aug 21, 2010
Moscow and st Petersburg are the main city's of Russia and what are you talking about that they arnt official apple stores??? They sell apple products and only apple products....

Just look on the Apple website: There are no Apple Stores in Russia, just Premium Reseller...
If you need an iPhone, for sure, you can find it.. But it's not the same thing.
PR are smaller, doesn't always have all the accessories and most important are not owned by Apple --> workers are not trained by Apple..

PS: especially when an Apple product is launched, stock size matters... And PR have less stock than an Apple Store

alex00100

macrumors 6502
Mar 17, 2011
Moscow, Russia
nah... we all buy it on ebay. iPhones in russia are very expensive, compared to US.
they better not making a month delay from official release date instead a 1/2 year as it was before(iPad 2 came 2 month later then in US and it was the fastest thing i remember) but also make it cheaper.

andreiru

macrumors 6502
Apr 18, 2008
Kurgan, RF
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; ru-ru) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

In Russia everything is overpriced, especially premium stuff. Very few resellers - nowhere near as many as there are in some other countries; England or UK, for instance. There are enough individuals to afford anything premium, but from my observations people are still living below their means, even compared to troubled Western European countries. That was my impression when I travelled quite a bit throught the country I was born in. If Apple begins marketing itself there, it should certainly pay off. By far the biggest potential setback and my most negative impression was the way things are done there. A hostile, rough and uncompetetive environment would probably be the accurate description. But the early adopters will have the pioneer's advantage, and it should be easier for established foreign companies to bring their business practices into the country. We live in a highly competitive time and we must use all opportunities to grow.

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany

Apple Store

AppleStore-Glattzentrum.jpg

and this is what u r talking about > Apple Reseller

pr_apple_reseller_interior_normal.jpg

wackymacky

macrumors 68000
Sep 20, 2007
38°39′20″N 27°13′10″W
How many people remember when they first got the original iPhone and perhaps then the 3G, and well, you were only of the few with one?

6-7 out of 10 of my work colleagues and friends now have an iPhone. Apple soon will be a top selling phone in China, India, Russia. Next we will hear that Apple is going to be the first Western Company to open a new retail store in North Korea in the last 10 years.

Who will be last last person in the world (in the range of a cellphone network) not to own an iDevice.

Kind of sad really.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.