Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

goodgnus

macrumors member
Aug 20, 2010
I've been using The Lightning Dock for months and I absolutely love it. The cable locks firmly in place once installed. It's excellent. Yes, it requires two hands to remove the iPhone when docked, but that's because Apple's lightning cable really holds firm. Keep in mind that The Lightning Dock uses your lightning cable.

I only have one complaint. It has a back-rest that I've never installed because, in order to use it, you have to use a very slim iPhone case (or no case at all).

The problem is that most slim iPhone 5 cases don't cover the bottom and top edge along the front of the phone (see image below - ignore the stupid graphic that shows the iPhone changing from black to white). I hate cases that cover all four side edges of the back of the iPhone, but not along the front, and that bugs me.

51s0E-WxsSL.jpg

Here's another example of what I don't want. I clicked the orange version to make it easier to see. Notice how the orange lip doesn't go across the top and bottom of the front of the phone?

71aq9K-dMLL._SL1500_.jpg

Can you recommend a slim case that doesn't leave the top and bottom edges along the front exposed? A slim black case?

Last edited:

Dowjohnny

macrumors 6502a
Jul 5, 2011
Germany
I have the lightning dock with an original lightning cable but i find myself using it very rarely :( The thing is, i charge my phone over night on my nightstand so i don't really need the power and syncing is done only every two weeks or so..

I really LOVE the looks of it but i have a little of a buyers remorse now..

I tend to sell it (someone interested?) and just get something cheaper to throw my phone in to keep it in view on my desk, maybe something made from leather.. Or i purchase a stand that i can use for iphone 5 and ipad 1, that would justify costs better..

EedyBeedyBeeps

macrumors member
Jan 2, 2013
USA
Lightning to Headphones?

Does anyone know of a dock that connects only to the iDevice's lightning port and has audio-out for headphones?

I've tried a couple lightning docks that also have the 3.5mm plug (i.e. Belkin's), and they make it relatively too difficult to dock and undock my iPhone.

The latest speaker docks from JBL and Philips seem to have only audio-in.

hofnar

macrumors regular
Feb 12, 2006
Brooklyn, NY
Has anyone experienced any issues with their phone when using a dock?

I use the Elevation Labs dock and I am on my third iPhone 5. The past 2 started clicking in the lower left corner when pressed.

I thought maybe it was just a faulty phone but the fact its happened twice has me wondering.

Do some of the docks sit the the iPhone at an angle that can cause stress on the phone?

edtorious

macrumors 65816
Aug 14, 2007
San Diego, California
I got this in today. Exactly what I was looking for and I echo your comments. I have an Elago Outfit case on it while charging with zero issues. One note, you do need to supply the USB wall adapter dongle. Kinda sucks, but I had several extra.

Can you guys remove the iPhone from the dock easily with one hand?

Marco123

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2012
Has anyone experienced any issues with their phone when using a dock?

I use the Elevation Labs dock and I am on my third iPhone 5. The past 2 started clicking in the lower left corner when pressed.

I thought maybe it was just a faulty phone but the fact its happened twice has me wondering.

Do some of the docks sit the the iPhone at an angle that can cause stress on the phone?

This interests me because I have just purchased an Elevation Labs dock for my ip5.

hofnar

macrumors regular
Feb 12, 2006
Brooklyn, NY
This interests me because I have just purchased an Elevation Labs dock for my ip5.

I'm starting to think it was faulty phones. It's odd and rare but the angle that the phone sits in while in the dock is not that extreme to cause stress on the screen.

Plus I've not read about this problem anywhere so it seems no one else had this problem.

Godzirra

macrumors 6502
Not sure if anyone has found this yet: http://www.bluelounge.com/products/minidock/

Looks very neat, I am tempted to try it. $40 might be a bit too rich for my blood though.

Looks like a great design, and ideal if i was to charge my phone in the kitchen all the time (sockets above the work surface), but everywhere else in the house, the plug sockets are floor level, so not good.

Postage to the UK isn't that bad either.

goodgnus

macrumors member
Aug 20, 2010
Looks like Belkin redesigned their Charge+Sync dock. It now has a built-in lightning cable, but no longer has an audio jack (but I think that change is for the best).

HB369_AV1

goodgnus

macrumors member
Aug 20, 2010
Here's a brilliant idea!

Saidoka:

SK_desc_02.jpg

On first glance, I thought that looked dumb, but then I looked at my iPhone which is lying flat on my desk. For use on a desk, this angle actually makes a lot of sense.

----------

I've been using a Lightning Dock since late last year. I like that it's metal, and that it's small but heavy. But I don't like that it holds the iPhone practically standing straight up. It has a very slight angle, but still, the position is only useful if placed at or near eye level.

TLD-Anodized-Aluminum-iPhone-5_grande.jpg

Note that the picture is showing it at eye level. Now look down at where the surface of your desk actually is. That angle isn't really useful.

I'm still on the hunt for a great iPhone 5 dock.

reiichiroh

macrumors regular
Jan 13, 2009
I bought and got my Devilcase Dock today. It's nice. Fits my 5 in a Speck CandyShell Grip and a thin TPU Anker Glaze.

Partridge

macrumors 6502
Jul 28, 2007
http://twelvesouth.com/products/hirise_iphone/

I'm going to grab this one. I like how it supports the mini also.

Well. Price/performance this blows a lot of other docks out of the water. Adjustable for different cases, aluminum... damn. I was expecting it to be a lot more. I've been pretty happy with 12south stuff before. I'm just not sold on how tall it is. I'd buy a short version.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.