Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Haynzee

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 13, 2012
Hi all

So I've read countless times on here people talking of yellow screen issues on new devices that often clears up after a week or so but my iPhone 5 is about 16 months old and I've noticed a yellow mark around 0.5cm around the edge of the whole screen. I mentioned it to a friend who says the exact same problem occurred with his 2 days ago and is still there.

I've attached a photo sorry it's poor, taken on iPad but you can see the yellow has anyone else got this, use a whiteish screen to see more clearly.
SP37dZq.jpg

Last edited:

Nipommu

macrumors regular
Jan 15, 2011
Unfortunately its not going to go away and you are gonig to have to get used to it. or get another one. I guess its pretty common for apple to receive differently calibrated screens from asia but quality inspection isn't catching it. my iphone 5 and somewhat ipad air has the yellowy screen.

To be honest, i've never heard of a screen turning yellow. Go ask apple to swap or get used to it. i've asked apple twice before but they didn't change it

Haynzee

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 13, 2012
@Nipommu

Yeh I'm pretty shocked too tbh, it's been fine for like I said 16 months and now the sides are turning this yellow tint. Hoping it doesn't get any worse tbh as it is at the moment I could probably put up with it.

Haynzee

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 13, 2012
actually, it has happened to a number of us. but it is more often described as the center turning pink, not the outside turning yellow.
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1586346/

i was able to eventually get mine replaced, though the first Apple genius I took it to said it was a "feature" not a problem. :rolleyes:

Arh yes so it is my eyes were drawn to the edge but now you mention it I can even see the pink in that photo I posted. Thanks, sadly I'm out of warranty, bloody annoying.

mzd

macrumors 6502a
Jul 25, 2005
Wisconsin
how frustrating! i didn't notice it on mine until i installed iOS 7 the first time, which, fortunately for me, was just a week before my warranty ran out. but it seems pretty common with the iPhone 5 after a year or so of use. i wonder if the 5s will exhibit this as well?

Haynzee

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 13, 2012
Quick update.

I chatted to Apple online then they called me and escalated me to a Senior Advisor as I was asking for the Phone to be fixed under UK consumer Law (Sales of Goods act 1979 as amended). Spoke to a really nice representative who has been helpful and is sending me a box to send the phone back to Apple. A store is around 40miles away from me and she said she didnt want me to have to go to a store for diagnostics. She said if its deemed a hardware fault which she said she is sure it is Apple will fix/replace it free of charge.

I said to her that I commend Apple on it's fantastic customer service. I usually hate ringing companies for support, Apple is the only exception. It has confirmed to me my next Laptop shall be a Macbook.

Shall keep this thread updated :)

theBostonian

Suspended
Apr 15, 2012
Quick update.

I chatted to Apple online then they called me and escalated me to a Senior Advisor as I was asking for the Phone to be fixed under UK consumer Law (Sales of Goods act 1979 as amended). Spoke to a really nice representative who has been helpful and is sending me a box to send the phone back to Apple. A store is around 40miles away from me and she said she didnt want me to have to go to a store for diagnostics. She said if its deemed a hardware fault which she said she is sure it is Apple will fix/replace it free of charge.

I said to her that I commend Apple on it's fantastic customer service. I usually hate ringing companies for support, Apple is the only exception. It has confirmed to me my next Laptop shall be a Macbook.

I was just about to inform you about your rights under consumer law (your use of "bloody" gave away the possibility that you may be a pommy) but you beat me to it.

Well done, it's a pity more people aren't aware of their consumer rights and/or take advantage of them. After all, we pay more than our American neighbours for these products, we deserve better warranty support.

I'm just glad I live in the UK and not the US, there you're pretty much SOL if your product is out of warranty. Occasionally Apple will make exceptions but that's it.

Now I purchased my iPhone 5 in the UK but I'm living abroad at the moment so hopefully I can arrange to have my yellowing screen repaired/replaced.

Haynzee

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 13, 2012
I was just about to inform you about your rights under consumer law (your use of "bloody" gave away the possibility that you may be a pommy) but you beat me to it.

Well done, it's a pity more people aren't aware of their consumer rights and/or take advantage of them. After all, we pay more than our American neighbours for these products, we deserve better warranty support.

I'm just glad I live in the UK and not the US, there you're pretty much SOL if your product is out of warranty. Occasionally Apple will make exceptions but that's it.

Now I purchased my iPhone 5 in the UK but I'm living abroad at the moment so hopefully I can arrange to have my yellowing screen repaired/replaced.

Ha, yeh! Sadly my screen went bad again. Rang Apple the other day, they were much more reluctant to do anything at first without me paying. But I stuck to my guns. The guy on the phone then asked for photos of all the phone, I think he was trying to see if I had dropped it. I took the photos sent them to him and he even commented what immaculate condition the phone was in. After that he agreed to have it looked at and sent me box. Within 4 days my iPhone was picked up, shipped to the Netherlands and I had a new one sent to me.

Happy Days, again.

P.S @theBostonian you might find your iPhone is not going yellow around the edge but pink in the middle. Display a white photo on screen to have a look. Thats what happened with mine I just didnt noticed the pink in the middle that made the edge look odd.

truelies

macrumors regular
Oct 14, 2011
Ha, yeh! Sadly my screen went bad again. Rang Apple the other day, they were much more reluctant to do anything at first without me paying. But I stuck to my guns. The guy on the phone then asked for photos of all the phone, I think he was trying to see if I had dropped it. I took the photos sent them to him and he even commented what immaculate condition the phone was in. After that he agreed to have it looked at and sent me box. Within 4 days my iPhone was picked up, shipped to the Netherlands and I had a new one sent to me.

Happy Days, again.

P.S @theBostonian you might find your iPhone is not going yellow around the edge but pink in the middle. Display a white photo on screen to have a look. Thats what happened with mine I just didnt noticed the pink in the middle that made the edge look odd.

I replaced, but after 6 month still got edge yellow problem.

sunking101

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2013
My old iPhone 4 went yellow at the top left of the screen after around 18 months. The yellow portion has since grown larger whilst in my father's possession but it is still only confined to the top left of the screen near the mute and volume buttons. There is no pinking anywhere.

Apple Mac Daz

macrumors 68030
Jun 2, 2011
Manchester
had this on my 18 month 5 in the same area too.
quick email to the ceo sorted it and phone was replaced free of charge.
was really pleased because when i sold it two weeks ago i could list it has a 3 month old refurb in mint condition and got top wack for it to pay for my 6P

ajo

macrumors 6502a
Jan 28, 2006
Quick update.

The same has happened to my phone but I am out of warranty also.

I am in the UK, is there a way then that I can get this replaced? Can this be done in store? What would I need to provide...

Thanks for your help

ajo

Haynzee

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 13, 2012
@ajo I just went through the support site, and spoke to them via chat, they said it would cost me but I said I want it fixed under consumer law. They then got someone to call me as it requires authorization from a senior adviser. All you need to say is what the problem is with the phone, and that you expect a phone that cost over £550 to last longer than xx months. As long as you haven't dropped it or got water damage then you should be fine. Also if its less than 2 years old your sorted, because you have not only UK law backing you but the EU law too. They will then ask you to go to a store, if one is a bit far away (for me its a 60 mile round trip) then tell them and ask if you can mail it in. They will send you a box with UPS and you pop the phone in and send the box back with UPS (Apple pays for postage). Within a couple of days you will get a replacement. The consumer Law you are claiming on is called the Sales of Goods act.

ajo

macrumors 6502a
Jan 28, 2006
@ajo I just went through the support site, and spoke to them via chat, they said it would cost me but I said I want it fixed under consumer law. They then got someone to call me as it requires authorization from a senior adviser. All you need to say is what the problem is with the phone, and that you expect a phone that cost over £550 to last longer than xx months. As long as you haven't dropped it or got water damage then you should be fine. Also if its less than 2 years old your sorted, because you have not only UK law backing you but the EU law too. They will then ask you to go to a store, if one is a bit far away (for me its a 60 mile round trip) then tell them and ask if you can mail it in. They will send you a box with UPS and you pop the phone in and send the box back with UPS (Apple pays for postage). Within a couple of days you will get a replacement. The consumer Law you are claiming on is called the Sales of Goods act.

Thanks for your quick reply. I will try this.

ajo

macrumors 6502a
Jan 28, 2006
No Problem, best of luck and keep us updated :)

Just a quick question about going to the store. I have 2 locally so its not that hard for me to get to one, but is it best to chat online as you said first.

Will they then put somthing on file so I can go into the store and not go through the same checks etc all over again for them to say no to a fix or replacement, after online support saying its ok?

Thanks

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.