Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

steve119

macrumors 6502
Mar 2, 2012
Scotland, land of the haggis
I'll tell you what, take a look at this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6uW-E496FXg

It's a great video, where Steve showed off the first iPhone. Now tell me what "innovation" Apple introduced in iOS6, which according to you is the best thing out. Sure, we have received the app store (since iOS1), etc, etc...

But as of the new iOS, there really isn't anything that fantastic (and don't tell me about the maps app).

At the end of the day, there are just some features which need reworking on the iPhone. It is a 6 year-old operating system, and still runs on the same base software, which is great. But there are no distinct changes.

I guess I'm just an Apple fan who is very disappointed with the direction of their iPhone lineup. I will be getting the new iMac, and I type this from my MBP (late 2010 model), so I am by no means an Apple hater. But all in all, I hoped for (but didn't expect) a little more from my old-time favourite company on NASDAQ.

Also, thank you for teaching me your insightful ways...you have taught myself, a "child" so much.

I actually think this guy has a point and can see why he's annoyed, IOS is a little bit dated, the maps saga has hurt apple too, and I think its being proven by samsung starting to take the lead in the mobile phone stakes.

Iphone has no longer retained its dominance as a mobile phone leader(in my own opinion), but thats maybe not a bad thing, It means they're going to have to work a lot harder now more than ever to get back up there.

But I will still pick up an iphone 5(and imac) next year when my mobile contract expires as I like all my ithings to do what they do best.....sync effortlessly without lifting a finger to make it happen.

jasvncnt

macrumors 6502
Jan 20, 2011
New Jersey
Some of you are just too funny. The lengths you will go through to defend your product or company. I can understand liking a product and I guess in some sense defending it...But when ya start thinking that company can do no wrong no matter what, theres a problem.
I was on iphone for a few years...JB'ing..tweaking...and every year I got a little more bored with the hardware and software. So I moved over to Android for a change. I have to say for me and my needs at this time, Android is more suited. For one I wanted the bigger screen. The amount of custom ROM's, kernels and modems are just awesome. One of the greatest advantages in my IMO is the ability to make a back up of your entire phone...like a ghost image right from your phone. Now Im not a "fanboy" of either side. Like I said for me Android is where its at right now.
And why do so many people defend Apple with..well Samsung or Android puts out sooooo many phones every year and Apple only releases one. Well..whose fault is that?

hexonxonx

macrumors 601
Jul 4, 2007
Denver Colorado
I originally wanted to upgrade from my 4S on Verizon to the 5 but I'm no longer interested. I'll be hanging onto my 4S till next year and just keep my 3GS on AT&T contract free till then.

I have no interest in looking at other phones when I have two excellent ones that still work and do what I need them to.

xofruitcake

macrumors 6502a
Mar 15, 2012
Sounds like you are the one that doesn't understand how Android apps are developed actually.

Android devs do not have to figure out how to get their apps working on every single different screen size and resolution. Android apps use fluid layouts that will automatically adapt to different screen sizes. The dev just has to define layouts for a small number of density scenarios - ldpi, mdpi, hdpi and xhdpi. And you don't even have to define layouts for all of them.

And we saw the result of having this automatic layout... Button are too big on some display resolution while others are too small. Too much details on a small display while not enough details on large one. That is why Apple keep bringing up the sad state of Android tablet app in both Ipad 3 and Iapd mini launch and compare them side by side on stage. And what is the response from Google, nothing???? Apple pay the price on not able to have multiple display resolution. Ipad mini could have retina display if Apple allow in between the two established resolution (1024x768 and 2048x1536).

reefoid

macrumors regular
Aug 5, 2011
UK
And we saw the result of having this automatic layout... Button are too big on some display resolution while others are too small. Too much details on a small display while not enough details on large one. That is why Apple keep bringing up the sad state of Android tablet app in both Ipad 3 and Iapd mini launch and compare them side by side on stage. And what is the response from Google, nothing???? Apple pay the price on not able to have multiple display resolution. Ipad mini could have retina display if Apple allow in between the two established resolution (1024x768 and 2048x1536).

Again, you clearly don't understand Android app development. This isn't an issue with Android, but with lazy developers. If you ensure you create assets for the target layouts, there is no reason any for any of the stuff you mention to occur. Unfortunately, some developers use the same assets across multiple densities which is when you get problems.

Google have supplied the platform and the tools to create apps that work well across all devices, but they can't force lazy developers to follow their guidelines.

LagunaSol

macrumors 601
Apr 3, 2003
Plus, Play Store is awesome.

LOL, enjoy your Angry Birds.

----------

You can republish your little green pacman as much as you like, but Android phones get updated just as much as, if not more than IOS handsets.

Baloney. New version migration charts don't lie. You can deny the facts all you want, but Android devices do not "get updated just as much, if not more than iOS handsets." :rolleyes:

The Google mind control ray gets stronger every day.

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
LOL, enjoy your Angry Birds.

----------

Baloney. New version migration charts don't lie. You can deny the facts all you want, but Android devices do not "get updated just as much, if not more than iOS handsets." :rolleyes:

The Google mind control ray gets stronger every day.

You keep failing to understand that Android devices don't need full OS updates like iOS does because Google updates its core apps pretty frequently.

Also I'd argue that both Android and iOS full OS updates - aren't terribly exciting in general. Just incremental tweaks with some new bells and whistles. But nothing earth shattering.

That Apple mind control ray gets stronger every day.

jvmxtra

macrumors 65816
Sep 21, 2010
The flip side of offering a lot of different display size is the inconsistent presentation of apps. If you were an Android app developers, you have to figure out all the different display size and resolution. You programmer will spend all their time in upgrading you apps to support the latest device display size and resolution instead of spending their time in improving their apps. Some of the change will be mighty easy but it take time to write the code and test them. All these are expensive to app developers and does not improve the app experience on the older device.

I think you are the one that don't understand how apps are developed and hence does not understand why Apple make the choice they do.

So basically you don't see how much samsung is raking in. This is called missed opportunity because apple is sticking to one size. What I was suggesting was since they are asking dev team to increase to 4.0, why not also ask them to increase to 4.8 or 5.0 ? Fragmentation or not, sammy is raking in a lot of money and lot of satisfaction from their customer.. so.. Who is missing the points here? At the end of the day, it's dollar and sense and not how much pain developers will have to go through. Also, having couple different size will still be much better to develop than developing for droid.

What's wrong w/ coming up w/ behemoth like 5.5 note 2 size in apple? I want that size in apple ios but no... they can't do it.. why the hell not? Put letter box.. who cares.. lot of droid users don't care about the apps anyway.. so make that device to lure those people into apple.. who cares? gee.. apple needs to really start thinking back like startup company rather than old IBM and Microsoft

----------

Oh, then you probably shouldn't have posted here.

----------

When you grow your company to be the size of Apple, that's when you can start critiquing. Until then, shhhhh. Or Apple will be forced to take a giant samsung on you.

That.. that is the attitude of old Microsoft which created Vista... Stop it.. just because company made billions.. doesn't mean they aren't gonna fail.. stop it.. I hope your type of attitude does not fill the apple company and stop innovating.

xofruitcake

macrumors 6502a
Mar 15, 2012
So basically you don't see how much samsung is raking in. ..

What's wrong w/ coming up w/ behemoth like 5.5 note 2 size in apple? I want that size in apple ios but no... they can't do it.. why the hell not? Put letter box.. who cares.. lot of droid users don't care about the apps anyway.. so make that device to lure those people into apple.. who cares? gee.. apple needs to really start thinking back like startup company rather than old IBM and Microsoft

but Apple rake in more money than Samsung.. And you design your product base on your clients.. So far Apple is sticking with the design direction and it serves them well. Basically Apple's choice is to sell less units but with higher margin on each unit. Samsung approach is to sell a lot of iterations of the basic design (much like Mini in the auto world) and make less margin on each unit. Would they change in the future? Who know. I think the major problem for Apple is the one product release per year. With the drive to release Iphone in 100 countries before end of Dec, what will Apple do in 2Q13? Like it or not, phone is a fashion item and they need to keep new iteration of phone and tablet to make it fresh.

munkery

macrumors 68020
Dec 18, 2006

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    17.5 KB · Views: 127

munkery

macrumors 68020
Dec 18, 2006
I still don't understand what you mean mate, can't you just make things clear like a regular human being?

What does Angry Birds have to do with Google Play?

What does "hitting menu and retry" got to do with Google Play?

What the hell are you on about?

:confused:

The first post about angry birds wasn't from me and I don't know what that post was about either.

I suspect that the post was referring to Google Play having far fewer high quality games from more mainstream game companies.

Or, it could have been a reference to malware given that Angry Birds add ons that contained malware had been found in Google Play.

http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2011/06/android-malware-angry-birds/

I just don't understand the allure of Angry Birds so I posted that pic. It really didn't have anything to do with you or anything you posted.

Sorry, if you we're seriously unsettled by the pic.

Technarchy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2012
Again, you clearly don't understand Android app development. This isn't an issue with Android, but with lazy developers. If you ensure you create assets for the target layouts, there is no reason any for any of the stuff you mention to occur. Unfortunately, some developers use the same assets across multiple densities which is when you get problems.

Google have supplied the platform and the tools to create apps that work well across all devices, but they can't force lazy developers to follow their guidelines.

Developers aren't lazy, they just don't have the profit motive with android to make their best effort. Look at the whole Dead Trigger fiasco. That game was pirated so bad on android that its makers just gave up and made it free.

reefoid

macrumors regular
Aug 5, 2011
UK
Developers aren't lazy, they just don't have the profit motive with android to make their best effort. Look at the whole Dead Trigger fiasco. That game was pirated so bad on android that its makers just gave up and made it free.

Not a good example. Shortly after they made it free on Android, they also made the game free on iOS because of.........piracy!!!

jvmxtra

macrumors 65816
Sep 21, 2010
but Apple rake in more money than Samsung.. And you design your product base on your clients.. So far Apple is sticking with the design direction and it serves them well. Basically Apple's choice is to sell less units but with higher margin on each unit. Samsung approach is to sell a lot of iterations of the basic design (much like Mini in the auto world) and make less margin on each unit. Would they change in the future? Who know. I think the major problem for Apple is the one product release per year. With the drive to release Iphone in 100 countries before end of Dec, what will Apple do in 2Q13? Like it or not, phone is a fashion item and they need to keep new iteration of phone and tablet to make it fresh.

Let's just make it clear that I am apple geek. I own every single products in apple store.

Last quarter samsung reached all time profit of almost 6 billion $$... Apple was about 8 billion $$.. Are we so blind of not able to see there are missed out markets? I am not sure what it means to insist on few products w/ higher margin on each unit. Why not more variety sizes w/ same higher margin on each unit? ???? I don't get this attitude. I don't understand. Samsung came out of nowhere to achieve all this.(I don't care if someone say they are 2 billion dollars short.. they are making faster progress and also 6 billion is HUGE profit line. ) Clearly there are HUGE markets that apple is not able to penetrate because of this old attitude. Instead of expanding mobile devices(which btw, is the present and future of all computing devices), they are thinking about going into apple tv business? oh my..

G51989

macrumors 68030
Feb 25, 2012
NYC NY/Pittsburgh PA
Early indicators Apple needs to lower price of iPhone.

As far as I know, the fast majority of iPhones are sold under contract from 100-200 dollars, so price wouldnt be a factor. When your getting your upgrade, or renewing your contract, high end Windows/Android phones cost the same as the iPhone.

xofruitcake

macrumors 6502a
Mar 15, 2012

I am not sure you understand software business at all. Lazy developers here are all business man, if you are telling them that they have to customize their apps to 20 different resolution and each of them take a month to do vs an IOS tablet/phone environment that you only has 3 or 4 customization, you just add 5 to 6x expense and time into anyone who want to develop an Android app as compare to develop the same app in IOS environment. Then you throw in IOS customers tends to spend more money on Apps and add on, guess where will "the lazy developers" put their development resource in?

Apple control both the hardware and software platform fo IOS and they has enough discipline to limit the display resolution while Android manufacturer produce all kind of display resolution and size. It works great from the hardware platform perspective but terrible from user experience. Those "lazy developers" don't have the money nor time to customize their app for each screen size and display resolution combination and Android market place is stuck with apps that looks great in one mobile device but terrible in other. And they end up has to sell their hardware at a lower price to compensate for the not so great app experience. Whether it is Google's fault is immaterial.

xofruitcake

macrumors 6502a
Mar 15, 2012
Let's just make it clear that I am apple geek. I own every single products in apple store.

Last quarter samsung reached all time profit of almost 6 billion $$... Apple was about 8 billion $$.. Are we so blind of not able to see there are missed out markets? I am not sure what it means to insist on few products w/ higher margin on each unit. Why not more variety sizes w/ same higher margin on each unit? ???? I don't get this attitude. I don't understand. Samsung came out of nowhere to achieve all this.(I don't care if someone say they are 2 billion dollars short.. they are making faster progress and also 6 billion is HUGE profit line. ) Clearly there are HUGE markets that apple is not able to penetrate because of this old attitude. Instead of expanding mobile devices(which btw, is the present and future of all computing devices), they are thinking about going into apple tv business? oh my..

I think some of the profit you cited is from semi conductor division.

It is not a new or old attitude as much as a problem of software development resource . when an OS support multiple resolution and size, developers need to spend effort to make sure that the image on the screen looks good. When you have one size and resolution combination, the work is easy. But when you start to have 10 or 20 different combinations, the work to layout the image on screen become a very difficult and time consuming task.

The consistent app experience that Apple provide in IOS is a direct result of limiting the display size and resolution. Android market give customers choice of the different hardware combinations but Android apps developer don't have enough time nor money to update their app when a new Android device come to the market. Hence you have a side by side comparison of the same apps that looks great in IOS but terrible in Android as demonstrated in the Ipad mini launch events.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/2012/oct/26/samsung-galaxy-profit-shares

The South Korean company, which raked in more than half of its profit and revenue from its mobile communications business, said its Galaxy S III and Galaxy Note II smartphones would help sustain its earnings momentum in the final quarter of the year

reefoid

macrumors regular
Aug 5, 2011
UK
Deleted - can't be bothered discussing things with people who don't read and can't listen.

Last edited:

jvmxtra

macrumors 65816
Sep 21, 2010
I think some of the profit you cited is from semi conductor division.

It is not a new or old attitude as much as a problem of software development resource . when an OS support multiple resolution and size, developers need to spend effort to make sure that the image on the screen looks good. When you have one size and resolution combination, the work is easy. But when you start to have 10 or 20 different combinations, the work to layout the image on screen become a very difficult and time consuming task.

The consistent app experience that Apple provide in IOS is a direct result of limiting the display size and resolution. Android market give customers choice of the different hardware combinations but Android apps developer don't have enough time nor money to update their app when a new Android device come to the market. Hence you have a side by side comparison of the same apps that looks great in IOS but terrible in Android as demonstrated in the Ipad mini launch events.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/2012/oct/26/samsung-galaxy-profit-shares

The South Korean company, which raked in more than half of its profit and revenue from its mobile communications business, said its Galaxy S III and Galaxy Note II smartphones would help sustain its earnings momentum in the final quarter of the year

Fair enough.. I just hope apple do not get stuck in one size phone forever.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.