Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zybersniper

macrumors member
Jan 2, 2013
I called apple. the lady on the other end was kind of confused too that they refused to do a replacement and told me to comeback at a later time. I am going to go and most likely get a replacement.

Exactly, it sounds like some of those staff might be on their first day of work and totally forgot their Apple staff training.

Let us know how it goes! Hopefully your replacement won't exhibit the same problem anytime soon!

JJC1138

macrumors newbie
Oct 17, 2013
Same on iPhone 5s?

Hi there. My 5s's screen has just started doing something weird and I think it might be the same issue described in this thread. After it's been switched on for a few minutes a blotch appears on the screen, which is either pink if what's on the screen is white, or green if what's on the screen is black. Over a few minutes the blotch gets bigger until it's a blurry-edged rectangle that takes up most of the area of the screen. It's most noticeable on all-black or all-white backgrounds, and it's more visible if you're viewing the screen at an angle (i.e. not straight on).

I've attached a photo, and the green part looked a bit less bright in person than in the photo, but still fairly bright. Does that look like what people saw on iPhone 5?

I've made a Genius appointment and I presume they'll replace the screen or the whole phone, but I'll report back what happens.

It's interesting that this seems to a be fairly widespread problem. I leave my screen on pretty much all day with the phone docked, so I wonder if the screen being switched on for very long periods could be causing the problem?

Attachments

• IMG_0073.JPG
    IMG_0073.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 656

MarcusCarpenter

macrumors 6502a
Feb 18, 2013
London
I too have this issue, i noticed it a while back on iOS6 but never thought anything of it till 7 and when i saw this post. Contacted apple and they are going to send me out a box to put the device in and send it in for repair.

They told me phones are not replaced anymore but repaired to cover costs and effectively giving you another faulty device in return as your device will be fully tested etc. i call BS but hay what can you do

xizdun

macrumors 6502
Nov 13, 2011
Dammit. Just noticed today that my iPhone 5 is displaying this red tint, too ...
Originally noticed this issue around mid-August with an in-warranty replacement iPhone 5 I got in early May 2013. Googled the issue and came across this thread. The issue did not exist when I first got the device in May, so it most likely gradually appears over time with use.

Now that I'm on an iPhone 5s, I thought I'd go get the iPhone 5's display replaced before I dispose of it. (5s and 5's—confusing, sorry.)

So I had a Genius Bar appointment today, and believe it or not, the moment I told the Genius I had a pink hue issue, he tells me he's color blind and that he'll have to get someone else to have a look at it. WTF, are you kidding me? Just my luck. Takes the iPhone in the back and returns after a few minutes telling me that 5 "experts" looked at it and didn't see anything wrong with the display. Asks whether I want to speak with the Manager.

The black shirt-wearing Manager turns out to be even more useless. Refuses to acknowledge any issue with the display. I show him OP's photos of the same issue from this thread and he tells me "just because other people on the Internet are reporting this issue, doesn't mean you have the same issue." and that the display is within acceptable standards. Now I'm f**ing p**sed. I ask him whether there's anyone else I can speak to and he tells me to call 1-800-APPLE. (No such phone number.) Wow. Who the hell made this guy manager? It was like talking to a brick wall. Probably early twenties, demeanor not that of a Manager at all. I should've asked for his business card (with his name on it). I've always hated the Apple Store. Now I hate it even more. Very disappointed.

I'm not sure how to proceed with this. Help! :confused:

It takes interacting with just two employees for you to start hating Apple.

Attachments

• 01.jpg
    01.jpg
    178.9 KB · Views: 1,931
  • 02.jpg
    02.jpg
    391.9 KB · Views: 2,558
  • 03.jpg
    03.jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 555
  • 04.jpg
    04.jpg
    84.8 KB · Views: 567

Zmanbaseball2

macrumors 68040
Aug 24, 2012
New York, USA
Originally noticed this issue around mid-August with an in-warranty replacement iPhone 5 I got in early May 2013. Googled the issue and came across this thread. The issue did not exist when I first got the device in May, so it most likely gradually appears over time with use.

Now that I'm on an iPhone 5s, I thought I'd go get the iPhone 5's display replaced before I dispose of it. (5s and 5's—confusing, sorry.)

So I had a Genius Bar appointment today, and believe it or not, the moment I told the Genius I had a pink hue issue, he tells me he's color blind and that he'll have to get someone else to have a look at it. WTF, are you kidding me? Just my luck. Takes the iPhone in the back and returns after a few minutes telling me that 5 "experts" looked at it and didn't see anything wrong with the display. Asks whether I want to speak with the Manager.

The black shirt-wearing Manager turns out to be even more useless. Refuses to acknowledge any issue with the display. I show him OP's photos of the same issue from this thread and he tells me "just because other people on the Internet are reporting this issue, doesn't mean you have the same issue." and that the display is within acceptable standards. Now I'm f**ing p**sed. I ask him whether there's anyone else I can speak to and he tells me to call 1-800-APPLE. (No such phone number.) Wow. Who the hell made this guy manager? It was like talking to a brick wall. Probably early twenties, demeanor not that of a Manager at all. I should've asked for his business card (with his name on it). I've always hated the Apple Store. Now I hate it even more. Very disappointed.

I had the opposite story as you. I walked in, got a apple dude, showed him a bright white pic of the pink hue. Bad part if the story is that he told me to come back at a layer date for the screen replacement when they have the machine but refused to do a full replacement. Day 1 of relocated apple store.

RoyalElephant

macrumors member
Jul 21, 2013

Wow. They sound like Idiots! Who are they hiring in these stores? Ex-sony customer care or something?

nah I'm with you on hating Apple over bad customer service. The first time I sent my phone back they said there was nothing wrong and I went crazy at them and they asked me for pictures and a screenshot to confirm a hardware issue, which I did and then traveled 100 miles to my closest Apple Store to have the phone replaced, only to then have the exact same issue re-occur and ended up in another unpleasant dispute.

no, I won't be buying anything from them after this, it's a shame because I really like the stuff they make but if this is how they handle defects I just won't be dealing with them anymore.

PsstGreek

macrumors 68040
Oct 21, 2010
Tampa Bay

When I went it for my iPhone, the Genius told me that the screen protector I had on my phone caused the issue and they see this "all the time." Luckily for me they replaced the display on my phone.

But in your case I would just call up AppleCare and escalate your Case ID. Tell them about your experience at the Apple Store. Over the phone the CSRs are more understanding and compassionate.

Zmanbaseball2

macrumors 68040
Aug 24, 2012
New York, USA
When I went it for my iPhone, the Genius told me that the screen protector I had on my phone caused the issue and they see this "all the time." Luckily for me they replaced the display on my phone.

But in your case I would just call up AppleCare and escalate your Case ID. Tell them about your experience at the Apple Store. Over the phone the CSRs are more understanding and compassionate.

I called and that's what they did.

spacedcadet

macrumors regular
Mar 5, 2009
really?

Never had a sceen protector on my mine, still exhibited the issue. This sounds like the kind of thing they say to blame the customer rather than acknowledge a fault.

uncertain.nomad

macrumors newbie
Sep 14, 2011
Had the same issue. Pink square in the middle of the screen. Went to the Apple Store and got the screen replaced, no questions asked. Well, not true. I might have been the first one with this issue. A bunch of geniuses wanted to take a closer look, since this was new to them. I'm rather glad they now do replace stuff instead of just handing of new or refurbed units. Environment and all that ;). The problem could be around for a while but with the all-white nature of iOS7 people might actually notice it more often than before.

Merkie

macrumors 68020
Oct 23, 2008
My phone has this issue as well. It's little over a year old now. Really odd. I'm not sure whether this issue has been present for some time now, or that I've only just started to notice this since iOS 7.

innerfire

macrumors newbie
Oct 28, 2013
same issue on my iphone 5

I noticed the same thing after upgrading to ios 7, i think from 7.0.2 and 7.0.3
I really don't know if the problem is the screen or the firmware.
Mine is almost a year old.

xizdun

macrumors 6502
Nov 13, 2011
Dammit. Just noticed today that my iPhone 5 is displaying this red tint, too...

So I had a Genius Bar appointment today...

Thought I'd have better luck over the weekend and avoid the previous Apple staff I had to deal with (same Apple Store). Luckily enough, this Genius did see the pink hue today. He replaced the device instead of just the screen since their "calibration machine" was kaput. This is what I really wanted since the iPhone 5 was also exhibiting this issue (weird display fading out to black and then restarting; unrelated hardware problem). It was rare and happened randomly, so it wasn't something I could reproduce at the Apple Store.

Was ready to put up a fight and went prepared with my laptop and photos (that I have in my previous post) in case the Genius refused to acknowledge the pink hue again.

I'm a happy bunny. Thank you, Apple. :)

Zmanbaseball2

macrumors 68040
Aug 24, 2012
New York, USA
Thought I'd have better luck over the weekend and avoid the previous Apple staff I had to deal with (same Apple Store). Luckily enough, this Genius did see the pink hue today. He replaced the device instead of just the screen since their "calibration machine" was kaput. This is what I really wanted since the iPhone 5 was also exhibiting this issue (weird display fading out to black and then restarting; unrelated hardware problem). It was rare and happened randomly, so it wasn't something I could reproduce at the Apple Store.

Was ready to put up a fight and went prepared with my laptop and photos (that I have in my previous post) in case the Genius refused to acknowledge the pink hue again.

I'm a happy bunny. Thank you, Apple. :)

The same exact situation happened to me but the Genius told me to come back at a later date instead of giving me a replacement like you got. They refused to give a replacement when I asked then to 3 times.

jonasdamn

macrumors 6502a
Mar 4, 2013
noticed also this issue on my iPhone which is 3rd replacement. Ech on Monday will be going againn to service center... :/

xtek

macrumors newbie
Oct 6, 2012
Can someone who had theirs phone exchanged/repaired because of this issue send me their repair number? I would be VERY grateful. I spoke with technicians and they said Apple considers this a "COSMETIC ISSUE" and they will not replace the phone or LCD. Thats freaking ridiculous since LCD quality is their main selling point. I think that if I provide them with repair number of someone who had phone exchanged they will be willing to cooperate...

Last edited:

PsstGreek

macrumors 68040
Oct 21, 2010
Tampa Bay
Can someone who had theirs phone exchanged/repaired because of this issue send me their repair number? I would be VERY grateful. I spoke with technicians and they said Apple considers this a "COSMETIC ISSUE" and they will not replace the phone or LCD. Thats freaking ridiculus since LCD quality is their main selling point. I think that if I provide them with repair number of someone who had phone exchanged they will be willing to cooperate...

Have you called Apple directly or you just went in for a genius appointment?

xtek

macrumors newbie
Oct 6, 2012
Have you called Apple directly or you just went in for a genius appointment?

In my ***** country (Poland) it works kind of different way. I called Apple and told them about this issue. They told me to go to "authorized service provider since we don't have genius bar here. So I went there. And they told me that Apple official statement is "cosmetic issue" and no repair/exchange for me. I will be trying to call Apple one more time but I would love to have proof that it's not a cosmetic issue and other people got their phones fixed...

ximon

macrumors newbie
Jun 18, 2008
I had my iPhone 5 replaced for this issue in its last week of warranty. I obviously checked the replacement unit for the defect and the screen was perfect.

Three months later the replacement unit has developed the exact same problem, so it definitely seems to be something that occurs with time.

My warranty is over now so I'll have to live with it, but iOS 7 doesn't help at all - there's so much white everywhere that you can't help but notice it!

I'm hoping for an option for a dark iOS 7 interface (like Tweetbot's) in a future update, and if this problem is as widespread as it seems to be (all my colleagues with iPhone 5 have the same problem) maybe Apple will be forced to consider making the interface less bright.

IheartNewton

macrumors newbie
Mar 6, 2014
I noticed the pink tint on my iPhone 5 last week. Very disappointing. I am going to make an appointment at the Genius Bar but having a feeling I am out of luck since my warranty was up last November.

Thinking about getting the insurance from Verizon to see if I could get it replaced since Verizon is allowing anyone to sign up until March 17th.

threelions

macrumors regular
Nov 7, 2013
Noticed this on my Iphone 5 a couple of weeks ago, wasn't sure if it was just me until I saw this thread. It's actually a slightly thinner & darker strip than the original posts photo's.

I was hoping the UK people could help me here. I know despite being more than a year old the UK law keeps me covered for this but I got my phone from my mobile provider Three, now do I go to a Apple store or do I contact Three? I don't want to keep getting pushed back and forth between them. Thanks for any help.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.