Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

QuarterSwede

macrumors G3
Oct 1, 2005
Colorado Springs, CO
Nope, Apple is not redesigning the entire phone in one year to add .3

Subtracting .3 doesn't result in the cheap market phone either. It's just a smaller iPhone that would likely cost as much or more to make.

If iPhone 5 has any screen changes (I highly doubt it) look for a full 4" and not a millimeter less, with an entire redesign to accommodate it. Not just a 4" screen slapped inside a case designed around a totally different screen.

As far as the Nano, look for an iPod Nano-like product just big enough to fit radios for calls and txt. It will be a basic device, with no App store, (like the current nano), and it will be cheap to buy ($200 / free with subsidy) , contract free with full price purchase, and unlimited calls/txt for $50 a month, limited plan at $25.

Will be great for 10 year olds getting their first phone, and the adults with no desire for technology, or spending money of phones.

It would have to be this, to completely differentiate from the iPhone market.

This imaging such advanced products for the iPhone Nano are way, waaaaay off..
That's my thought too although I don't know if they'd be able to go as far as the size of the iPod nano. I'm guessing it'll be larger but no where near the size of the mockups. Although I think the app store is too lucrative for Apple to ignore. Instead of full apps you'll see light limited apps instead (think dashboard widgets or the stock Stocks and Weather apps).

mjay2k

macrumors newbie
Jan 12, 2010
Nope, Apple is not redesigning the entire phone in one year to add .3

Subtracting .3 doesn't result in the cheap market phone either. It's just a smaller iPhone that would likely cost as much or more to make.

If iPhone 5 has any screen changes (I highly doubt it) look for a full 4" and not a millimeter less, with an entire redesign to accommodate it. Not just a 4" screen slapped inside a case designed around a totally different screen.

As far as the Nano, look for an iPod Nano-like product just big enough to fit radios for calls and txt. It will be a basic device, with no App store, (like the current nano), and it will be cheap to buy ($200 / free with subsidy) , contract free with full price purchase, and unlimited calls/txt for $50 a month, limited plan at $25.

Will be great for 10 year olds getting their first phone, and the adults with no desire for technology, or spending money of phones.

It would have to be this, to completely differentiate from the iPhone market.

This imaging such advanced products for the iPhone Nano are way, waaaaay off..

Did you even read my post? I agree with what your saying for the most part. No, apple isn't redesigning the iPhone for .3, that's why I mocked that up with the current iPhone 4 design. Maybe it won't require them that much re-jiggering to get the screen size up in the same design? Then again maybe it will, and then if that's the case I agree that they will opt to do a 4inch screen with an entire redesign to accommodate it.

However I'm not so sure they won't figure out a way to give most of, if not all, current iPhone functionality in a smaller product. If AT&T can sell the iPhone 3GS for $50 bucks, surely Apple can use the same components in a new, smaller configuration? It can be done man. Maybe.

I just don't see them introducing a "iPhone" with reduced functionality. When you take away apps, it's not really an iPhone anymore.

Dr Kevorkian94

macrumors 68020
Jun 9, 2009
SI, NY
I never liked the mini iPhone from the start, it just doesn't sound and look right. The edge to edge screen I think apple will do, it will be nice. The bigger screen might happen but I think apple likes this current screen. Just try to make sence of my gibberish, but apple will make it happen. My favorite mockup it's the black one (the oldest), but that could be more appleized I think.

griz

macrumors 6502a
Dec 18, 2003
New London, NH

Slix

macrumors 65816
Mar 24, 2010
What's wrong with the way the screen is now? It's almost to the edges...

Either Apple will make this awesome or not do it. I personally don't want to see a bigger screen. iPad is for that.

QuarterSwede

macrumors G3
Oct 1, 2005
Colorado Springs, CO
I just don't see them introducing a "iPhone" with reduced functionality. When you take away apps, it's not really an iPhone anymore.
Then iPod shuffle really isn't an iPod. Apple could very well differentiate the line with Android selling well. There would be almost no competition if Apple had cheaper iPhone's. The same thing that happened with the iPod would happen with phones. Total domination (I don't think they'd dominate the cell market as much though).

Marvin1379

macrumors 6502
Jun 25, 2007
New York
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

I'm not a developer, but what will a 4" screen mean for current apps? Will the code need to be adjusted or is the ratio the same?

macrumors 68000
Jul 9, 2010
here and there but not over there
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

I'm not a developer, but what will a 4" screen mean for current apps? Will the code need to be adjusted or is the ratio the same?

bigger screen does not necessarily mean higher resolution - guess the retina display (I so hate this buzz/marketing word) has enough room to be stretched 1/2 inch and still look gorgeous ...

Absent

macrumors member
Feb 19, 2010
3.5" to 4" is a little over a 14% increase in size. An increase in size is a reduction in pixel density. 326ppi to around 279-288ppi, depending on how you do the math. I guess it just comes down to preference and usage, but it is a trade off, not really a win-win.

zenio

macrumors 6502
Feb 2, 2011
One thing is certain.

The Apple iPhone reputation, is at an all time low despite the sales figures.

They'd better get it right this time, there's a lot on the line.

Anything they release will sell, the question is how many. Fat & happy won't keep them that way.

The competition is tougher than ever, no matter how much it's denied.

MisterK

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2006
Ottawa, Canada
Well I like them a LOT

I think the edge to edge screen looks awesome. The 4" version AND the 3.5" versions look really cool and it really updates the look of the iPhone, while keeping a lot of Apple's manufacturing the same. Not only that, but I HATE the older one that people are saying "now that's more like it" to. You can totally hold an iPhone on the sides... in fact, I don't know how else people are holding it. I want edge to edge.

nicholasfukuoka

macrumors member
Jan 9, 2010
Here's my mockup:

Attachments

• iphone5mockupb.jpg
    iphone5mockupb.jpg
    633.5 KB · Views: 1,583

aplqna

macrumors 6502
Dec 10, 2010
Maryland
You can totally hold an iPhone on the sides... in fact, I don't know how else people are holding it. I want edge to edge.

I agree. I'm not really understanding how people are holding their iPhones. If it's by the bezel, it must be from the top and bottom (because the sides are so thin) and that must look ridiculous when in portrait orientation. I guess it would require holding it with 3 fingers like you are pinching it with your thumb on the front and middle and pointer fingers on the back? I don't know why anyone would do it that way.

nicholasfukuoka

macrumors member
Jan 9, 2010
Yeah, but I figured they would want to keep it symmetrical for horizontal viewing/games. Plus the OCD in me wants to keep it that way. :p

hbunting

macrumors newbie
Apr 6, 2008
I don't see them going to the edge with the screen. I mean, how are you supposed to put a case on of these hypothetical models without cutting off any part of it? I don't see a way around that. And with the hypothetical nano, with the smaller display, it would make it even more difficult to type on because the keys would be much smaller. Come on people, do some better guessing.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.