Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

captain kaos

macrumors 65816
Jan 16, 2008
UK
I think i'll wait to get more excited with other news about the iphone5, phone cameras don't really do it for me! I'd like to know storage, processor power and when it definitely going to be out and how much! :D

SandynJosh

macrumors 68000
Oct 26, 2006
I would say at the narrow width of case you have to play with on any phone 2 led flashes just makes it brighter (more well lit) which could be done with just a brighter single flash. Sure, if you have 2 flashes lined up next to each other X meters apart and directing them to the item to be photographed, you would get a much better light coverage, but not when you're talking about a few cms between the flashes.

Obviously you didn't look at the frickin' Gatorade photo with the story because a few cms DO make a distinct difference.

BrianMojo

macrumors regular
Jul 10, 2006
Boston, MA
...You must have perused the opening story in Braille or you'd see why two LEDs are being used... the problem being solved isn't too little light, it's the hardness of the shadows being produced by a single light source.

Why do you all think that more light is what this is about???

Sorry, I must have been reading the MacRumors article that read "The advantage of a dual LED flash appears to be brighter and more expansive lighting for your photographs," or the original article that stated "As you can see, the results are more or less the same, the N96 shots just having more light in its pictures" and nowhere referenced anything about softer shadows.

Unless you're adding diffusion to these flashes, you're not getting softer light -- although you might be hiding the shadow behind the subject and adding fill to a side that otherwise might be shadow.

Back to reading the original articles in braille, I suppose!

stadlin

macrumors member
Mar 1, 2010
all the samples are shot in landscape, but the early mockups showed two flashes for holding it "portrait"...

captain kaos

macrumors 65816
Jan 16, 2008
UK
Obviously you didn't look at the frickin' Gatorade photo with the story because a few cms DO make a distinct difference.

Actually i did. I'd like to know 2 things: One, tell me how can you tell from a rubbish side by side photo on a rumors page how, if any you can difference between a more brightly lit bottle and one taken with 2 flashes? The 2 photos aren't even at the same distance from the subject!

Two, could you tell me how many years of photography experience you have before jumping on one of my post. You'd better have something to back yourself up with.

Last edited by a moderator:

Kelmon

macrumors 6502a
Mar 28, 2005
United Kingdom
As long as I can turn the flash off then that's fine by me. Given the choice, however, I'd much rather have a camera sensor with better low-light performance rather than an extra flash bulb that will make my pictures look terrible. A bit of fill-in flash is OK in bright conditions but I'd only use it in dark conditions in desperation.

starstreak

macrumors 6502
Dec 5, 2004
I doubt it. The way Apple is sueing everybody, I can bet someone will yell out "we had dual LED flash b4 you did!" and sue Apple.

840quadra

Staff member
Feb 1, 2005
Twin Cities Minnesota
I have no problem with shooting casual video, but for taking pictures the iPhone 4 camera sucks. I doubt this new added flash will be much better. The current flash on the iPhone 4 is garbage.
The iPhone is brilliant as a communications device, but it is not a camera. It might take okay shots in the bright sunlight of California, but not in foggy northern Europe. Sure the iPhone 4 is great for taking silly shots of silly moments using amusing apps. It still has a long way to go if it wants to take acceptable photos.

I believe I will be still carrying a good compact camera in addition with me for several years to come to take those memorable photos, in situations when a DSLR is just too heavy to lug around.

I am really curious to hear what your point and shoot camera is? Most pocketable point and shoot cameras also have difficulty in low light situations you describe. Their biggest benefit is having a true flash, zoom capabilities, and somewhat better focus ability. As far as actual per pixel image quality, they usually equal, or slightly edge out the iPhone 4, but you have to be at 100% crops to even see it.

I actually found my iPhone 4 camera to do as good, or better than my Canon SD780is, or my Nikon s710 in many situations. So good in fact, I stopped taking them with me all together.

Zaqfalcon

macrumors 6502
Mar 22, 2010
So what are you using right now?

Nokia N8.

Why would you sit round a table, see what's needed, and what others have fitted to their phones, and, as Apple think, no.... We'll fit something worse than other brands.

Quite - see above.

I believe I will be still carrying a good compact camera in addition with me for several years to come to take those memorable photos, in situations when a DSLR is just too heavy to lug around.

There shouldn't be a need to any more, it's not like good camera technology in mobile phones doesn't exist - see above.

Buy a camera.

No need - see above.

If Nokia can do it why not Apple? It's frustrating and disappointing. It was finally on the basis of the camera that I didn't buy an original iPhone back in 2007 and went with a Nokia N95. The iPhone is only just now catching up with the N95 camera wise let alone the N8.

No I don't need a Symbian vs iOS discussion - yawn.

840quadra

Staff member
Feb 1, 2005
Twin Cities Minnesota
No I don't need a Symbian vs iOS discussion - yawn.

Too bad, not on this forum ;)

I must admit I do really like the N8, and if I didn't need 3rd party applications I use on a daily biases, I think I would have one.

But currently (for me), The N8 is a much better replacement for a Point and Shoot camera, than it is for a Smart Phone. Symbian is getting better, but still lacks the ecosystem of Android or iOS. With that, it simply isn't enough for me to switch just yet.

boss.king

macrumors 603
Apr 8, 2009
I'm hoping for a xenon flash. My old K800i took amazing photo's even in pure darkness because the flash illuminated the room. This would be a true step forward for the camera.

jinx1181

macrumors newbie
Oct 20, 2008
Flash/Camera together on other side?

Just wanted to throw this out there:

Anybody think that the camera and flash will both be moved to the opposite side of where they stand now due to the iOS 5 option of using the volume up button to take a picture? As it stands now, it is difficult to hold the phone sideways and snapping a shot without covering the lens unless you use both hands.

Schizoid

macrumors 65816
May 29, 2008
UK
I like Gatorade, it's like Lucozade for reptiles... I'm so pleased the flash works twice as good with the bottle I drinkt mmm

Zaqfalcon

macrumors 6502
Mar 22, 2010
Symbian is getting better, but still lacks the ecosystem of Android or iOS. With that, it simply isn't enough for me to switch just yet.

Oh alright then :rolleyes:

It's a pity Symbian is being abandoned by Nokia in favour of Windows phone (bleurgh) which is why it's even more disappointing that iPhone is still not an option.

The N8 is a great phone, for me at least, and it'll be quite a while before I replace it, so let's hope Apple focuses its efforts in the camera department for the iPhone 6 or 7.

Xenc

macrumors 65816
May 8, 2010
London, England
Did you notice how more densely packed the pixels are in the dual-flash photo?? ;)

5 megapixel vs 8 megapixel camera.

Wow, looks like the LED on the front of the iPhone might be possible now! Here's hoping for LED notifications on the front! That'll be another slap to BlackBerry.

Dual LED flash is not the same as a notification light, although that would be awesome too!

Burntfender

macrumors member
Jan 21, 2009
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-gb) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

If this phone is just a speed bump, it really will add fuel to the android fire. It cannot just be minor changes, if Apple truly wants to stay on pace with android- a completely refreshed phone every year is what will need to be done from here on. And given that it's taking longer this time around, maybe that means there might be some truth to that

garybUK

Jun 3, 2002
This article is complete rubbish, for starters the nokia's come with Carl Zeiss optics, they have a higher MP rating. x2 LED's does not equal that image. Plus apple does all the horrible post processing to make the pics seem warmer.

P.S. love my N8 with Xenon flash :D

KnightWRX

macrumors Pentium
Jan 28, 2009
Quebec, Canada
This article is complete rubbish, for starters the nokia's come with Carl Zeiss optics, they have a higher MP rating. x2 LED's does not equal that image. Plus apple does all the horrible post processing to make the pics seem warmer.

Uh ? Did you read the article ?

zerofour

macrumors member
Feb 14, 2011
UK
As long as I can turn the flash off then that's fine by me. Given the choice, however, I'd much rather have a camera sensor with better low-light performance rather than an extra flash bulb that will make my pictures look terrible. A bit of fill-in flash is OK in bright conditions but I'd only use it in dark conditions in desperation.

This! Agree totally. Generally can't stand flash unless absolutely needed or on a DSLR with a flash diffuser!

gorgeousninja

macrumors 6502
Mar 27, 2007
secret mountain retreat
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Performa said:
[url=http://cdn.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png]Image[/url]

[url=http://cdn.macrumors.com/article-new/2011/06/singlevsdual-500x375.jpg]Image

[/url]
Single (Left) vs Dual (Right) LED comparison with Nokia phones by Zomgitscj
Digitimes claims that the upcoming iPhone5 will have a dual LED Flash.The advantage of a dual LED flash appears to be brighter and more expansive lighting for your photographs. Back in 2008 Zomgitscj showed differences between the dual LED flash and a single LED flash found on his Nokia N96 and Nokia N95. One is shown above but the site has several other examples for the phone at the time.

Article Link: iPhone 5 to Have a Dual LED Flash?

I usually turn off the flash, or back WAY up....to keep my photos from getting overwhelmed with light. Now a doubly bright flash? Great.

Hmmm... Unfortunately many people go out at night... When it's dark... Hence the need for flash... Any ideas?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.