Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

absurdamerica

macrumors regular
Nov 14, 2011
Last time I checked, Apple doesn't care about things like market share, they care about making world class products.

Saying that Apple doesn't care about market share is effectively saying that Apple doesn't care how many people buy its products. To say they don't live and die by market share is true, especially when margins are high.

Just like BMW doesn't need to sell as many cars as say Kia, but they sure as hell are paying attention to what Audi is doing. To suggest that Apple isn't interested in competing with phones like the Galaxy line for market share and are just "racing themselves" is taking drinking the kool-aide to a whole new level.

BaldiMac

macrumors G3
Jan 24, 2008
What sense does have those numbers?

Where Apple does it has a 21% of market share in China?

According to the report, Apple had a 21% market share in "Tier 1-2" cities in China over the last 12 months.

dragje

macrumors 6502a
May 16, 2012
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
According to the report, Apple had a 21% market share in "Tier 1-2" cities in China over the last 12 months.

Last indeed and it "could" grow, nothing is certain yet. It remains to be seen if people would like the concept of buying Apple not-the-best-smartphone over the latest product line of Samsung products.

----------

What sense does have those numbers?

Where Apple does it has a 21% of market share in China?

No where. Only in T1-T2 cities in the last (!) 12 months and that line is shrinking, not growing.

johnxw

macrumors newbie
Aug 20, 2013
I doubt it, there is Xiaomi 2S in China, which only costs RMB 2299 (USD 375) with 32GB storage, 2gb ram, 1300 m camera, quad core CPU, ......these people never understand the Chinese market.

dragje

macrumors 6502a
May 16, 2012
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Saying that Apple doesn't care about market share is effectively saying that Apple doesn't care how many people buy its products. To say they don't live and die by market share is true, especially when margins are high.

True, but how many times I see on this forum people stating that it's not about market share and that Apple doesn't care about market share when numbers of sales are in decline?

Now it's suddenly okay that Apple comes up with cheaper products in order to get some grip on the ever ongoing spiral downwards when it comes to marketshare....

But ok...

Just like BMW doesn't need to sell as many cars as say Kia, but they sure as hell are paying attention to what Audi is doing. To suggest that Apple isn't interested in competing with phones like the Galaxy line for market share and are just "racing themselves" is taking drinking the kool-aide to a whole new level.

True, nicely put even :D

----------

That graph doesn't make sense. I hate when there is no link to the original report

Good point. I don;t get further then, quoting: "A Morgan Stanley analyst team led by Katy Huberty released a bullish new report yesterday suggesting..."

The word 'suggesting' makes me wonder how true this news should be taken as well. Suggesting is hardly the same as based facts.

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
just like every thing American:

1. cars
2. houses
3. physic
etc.

Nope. One of the few countries where iPhone market share beats any Android phone is the U.S. So no, a bigger size isn't as vital to sales here. Also it's folklore that Americans like bigger. Sometime smaller & compact is preferred. The only reason we have bigger homes is because our of or useable land mass & in many areas land isn't too expensive. But bigger homes don't mean we'll built ones. There are lots of "cheap" & poorly constructed vinyl siding homes in the burbs.

tevion5

macrumors 68000
Jul 12, 2011
Ireland
Oh boy here we go again. Were the 3G and 3GS cheap plastic?

Oh and how about this?

_1999163148_9db19216.JPG

Exactly, people always have amazing powers of selective memory. I think the iPhone 3g and 3gs looked and felt very high quality. I think a little weight is nice too. The super light plastic feel of the samsung phones I don't personally like.

I love apple products. Like the beautiful plastic iMac G4 for example. But I actually think those clamshell iBooks were not Job's and Ive's best work to be honest :p :apple:

newdeal

macrumors 68030
Oct 21, 2009
They will support LTE but only TD LTE which will be used only in China. That will keep Americans buying the higher cost device

GenesisST

macrumors 68000
Jan 23, 2006
Where I live
Ya know, stuff like this really bothers me. A cheap plastic iPhone does not represent Apples Culture/DNA. Apple is a premium brand! If Steve was alive, he would never allow a cheaper plastic iPhone with the sole purpose of gaining market share. I feel that Tim Cook and his executives are losing sight of what's truly important. Not only that, I feel that they are losing sight of Steve's remarkable vision for Apple.

Don't pull a "Christopher Reeves" when you fall off your high horse...

phoenixsan

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2012
Not only in China.....

but I can envision a scenario where same occurs in Brazil, India, Rusia and even Mexico. But the price tag ($400-500) seems a little disturbing for me. And surely in some situations this cant pass as "low cost"....:(

:):apple:

BaldiMac

macrumors G3
Jan 24, 2008
Last indeed and it "could" grow, nothing is certain yet. It remains to be seen if people would like the concept of buying Apple not-the-best-smartphone over the latest product line of Samsung products.

I'm not sure what your point is. :confused:

No where. Only in T1-T2 cities

Not "No where". In "Tier 1-2" cities in China.

in the last (!) 12 months

What is your concern with "last"?

and that line is shrinking, not growing.

Source?

What report? Because the graph doesn't say that

The report from Morgan Stanley as specified in the OP.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
Exactly, people always have amazing powers of selective memory. I think the iPhone 3g and 3gs looked and felt very high quality. I think a little weight is nice too. The super light plastic feel of the samsung phones I don't personally like.

I love apple products. Like the beautiful plastic iMac G4 for example. But I actually think those clamshell iBooks were not Job's and Ive's best work to be honest :p :apple:

Right. And the point isn't whether something looked good or not but the fact that it existed. The flower power iMacs weren't great either (IMO) but they happened on Jobs watch.

BaldiMac

macrumors G3
Jan 24, 2008
What report? I don't see any report and the graph doesn't show any actual market share.

When you can link the actual report we will start to talk

Ah. You are just being argumentative. I thought you were posting legitimate questions. My bad.

From the graph: "Apple iPhone Unit Share in China Tier 1-2 Cities"

Oletros

macrumors 603
Jul 27, 2009
Premià de Mar
Ah. You are just being argumentative. I thought you were posting legitimate questions. My bad.

From the graph: "Apple iPhone Unit Share in China Tier 1-2 Cities"

My bad, I forgot who I was talking to, just a waste of time trying to argue something with you

I didn't knew that Morgan Stanley has a time machine and can look at market share in the future. When you can put a ****ing actual number, write it. Until then, there is no report, there is no explanation of what the numbers are and there is just nonsense.

BaldiMac

macrumors G3
Jan 24, 2008
I didn't knew that Morgan Stanley has a time machine and can look at market share in the future. When you can put a ****ing actual number, write it. Until then, there is no report, there is no explanation of what the numbers are and there is just nonsense.

Time machine? You asked "Where Apple does it has a 21% of market share in China?" I answered, based on the graph in the original post, that the 21% market share was based on Tier 1-2 cities in China the last 12 months.

Why do you need a time machine to look at market share the last 12 months?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.