Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lars666

macrumors 65816
Jul 13, 2008
Although not my fight... and I am not one to get between a hunter and his prey. However surely your 2 questions to our fellow poster amount to the same thing?

Or "are you just ignorant"? ;)

Asking "Do you really not understand this or are you just that ignorant?" can indeed mean two different things. First case: Somebody is intellectually not able to get something, but as this limitation isn't his fault, you can't blame him for this. Second case: Somebody simply is ignorant enough that he easily could and should get it, but consciously fades out the facts to not have to admit that he was wrong.

I admit, I didn't meant it that way, as the first part is quite mean, but as you've asked for it ... Challenge accepted. :) (and in advance: Please don't jump on my English if I used a wrong word in the explanation - not a native speaker ...)

ray6712

macrumors 6502
Apr 15, 2012
StL
I'm all for Apple improving, but think of it like this. What advantages would a screen with twice the pixel density of an iPhone 5 offer? Even if they could give us a 2272x1280 screen without sacrificing battery life or general performance, would we even notice it? Like I said in my previous post, there's a point of diminishing returns. A screen that dense wouldn't look much different to the unaided eye than what we've got now, but eat up tons more resources to push it. It'd be better to give us just a slight res bump, but take the technology they'd be using to try and equal performance on the 1280x screen and put it to better use by giving us more battery life and a GPU that can flex its muscles without being bogged down over what's ultimately nothing more than a pointless number game.

I hear you but we don't know what GPU they'd be running but if its the Rouge series from imagination tech then it's plenty powerful from whatever they'd ask from it. An Also the argument is that there is no argument as long as Apple wants to improve its products in any kind of way this should be applauded.

Question if your buying a 50inch television and they are both 1080p but one has a much higher pixel density and better performance all around for the same price which would you pick.

Renzatic

Suspended
I hear you but we don't know what GPU they'd be running but if its the Rouge series from imagination tech then it's plenty powerful from whatever they'd ask from it. An Also the argument is that there is no argument as long as Apple wants to improve its products in any kind of way this should be applauded.

Some improvements are better than others. To me, an iPhone with double the pixel density of the 5 would be more about filling out a stat sheet to hang over the competition's head than it would be any noticeable improvement.

Think about it. Have you seen the screen on an iPhone 5? Unless you're hovering it about half an inch away from your eye, you can't see any individual pixels. Unless they're making the next iPhone with a larger screen, it doesn't need a big increase in pixel density. A small bump at most is all it needs.

But this GPU you mentioned would be powerful enough to push a huge amount of pixels without any noticeable loss in performance. That's good, but ask yourself this: would you rather have games and apps that can handle a few more polygons and effects onscreen that maybe looks a tiny bit crisper, or games and apps that can handle a tons more onscreen, but sport the same resolution as what we've got now. Me? I'd go with the latter, since that's a noticeable improvement, unlike doubling the resolution, which will only make a difference for, maybe, 0.01% of the world population.

Question if your buying a 50inch television and they are both 1080p but one has a much higher pixel density and better performance all around for the same price which would you pick.

If they were both 50" 1080p screens, they'd have the same pixel density. But either way, I'd go for the one that offers the best overall package. Like resolution won't mean much if it's got terrible colors and you can only see an image if you're sitting dead in front of it. I'd take a slightly smaller res screen with a better color gamut and viewing angles over a higher res one that looks like sharp, crisp poop.

Xiroteus

macrumors 65816
Mar 31, 2012
Doubt the pixel war can last all that much longer and of course everyone will want to keep up until it does.

ThatsMeRight

macrumors 68020
Sep 12, 2009
Are you an iOS developer?
I have experience, yes.

We're talking about touch devices having more or less the same screen size. Of course buttons are the same physical size on the retina version, they are targets for average human fingers!
So you agree the effective resolution is the same?

As for content that does not have touch targets, devs have chosen to show a manageable amount of information given the small physical size of original non-retina displays, resolution was not the issue. The fact that DPI increased doesn't change that.
So what are you trying to say here?

Do you have any specific example of an app that could show more content but does not because of these supposed limitations?
Yeah, just try every single app that is shipped with the iPhone (so Apple's apps) on an iPhone 4S and on an iPhone 3GS. You'll see they both have just as much content and the effective resolution is the same.

Just because some apps don't show as much content as you wished does NOT mean or prove in any way that the "effective" resolution is halved.
I do not claim the resolution is halved. I don't even get how you get to "halved" (that's 1/2). If anything, it should be 1/4 (because iPhone 3GS > iPhone 4 is a quadrupling of the number of pixels, not the double amount).
But even if you mean 1/4, that's not what I am saying.

The effective resolution for most iPhone apps simply is 480 x 320, or for the iPhone 5 568 x 320.

I think I explained it pretty clearly in my previous post, but yet, somehow, you don't seem to understand. Or better said: it seems as if you don't want to understand.

No worries. I understand. No one wants to be wrong.
Heck, maybe I am wrong and maybe am I the one who doesn't want to understand.
But that's not the case, because what I am saying is basically what Apple was saying to developers back in 2010.

Casiotone

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2008
I have experience, yes.

So you agree the effective resolution is the same?

So what are you trying to say here?

Yeah, just try every single app that is shipped with the iPhone (so Apple's apps) on an iPhone 4S and on an iPhone 3GS. You'll see they both have just as much content and the effective resolution is the same.

I do not claim the resolution is halved. I don't even get how you get to "halved" (that's 1/2). If anything, it should be 1/4 (because iPhone 3GS > iPhone 4 is a quadrupling of the number of pixels, not the double amount).
But even if you mean 1/4, that's not what I am saying.

The effective resolution for most iPhone apps simply is 480 x 320, or for the iPhone 5 568 x 320.

I think I explained it pretty clearly in my previous post, but yet, somehow, you don't seem to understand. Or better said: it seems as if you don't want to understand.

No worries. I understand. No one wants to be wrong.
Heck, maybe I am wrong and maybe am I the one who doesn't want to understand.
But that's not the case, because what I am saying is basically what Apple was saying to developers back in 2010.

Let's say that the first iPhone released in 2007 had a resolution of 960x640 right from the start.

And let's say Apple would've made the same exact same interface that we know, because it makes sense to make buttons and touch targets the size of the average human finger.

What would be the "effective resolution" of this iPhone according to you?

And please define exactly what you mean by "effective resolution".

Jsameds

Suspended
Apr 22, 2008
Since that image is a JPEG, it adds its own artifacting in.

True, but JPEG artifacts aren't jagged pixels. I have this game and the 'jaggies' are very prominent when playing on a retina screen, the screenshot I posted reflects it accurately.

canman4PM

macrumors 6502
Mar 8, 2012
Kelowna BC
how can you all say it doesn't make sense? all the competition has far higher dpi in there screens than the iPhone. Does apple really want to be left behind???

Apple generally only makes improvements that actually improve their devices. Increasing the resolution from "retina" will not be noticeable to anyone. It will do the opposite of improving the phone. It will shorten battery life, slow it down, eat up more storage space.

Look over their history. They've never built their computers with the highest clock speeds. And yet they always ran faster than their PC based machines. Instead they had good processors with a lean operating system that did not over tax the processors. This allowed the Mac to run faster, quieter, cooler and more reliably than it's counterparts.

Apple is not interested in a specs competition. They're interested in "mine works best" competitions. Upping pixel density beyond human ability does nothing to improve anything. It just looks good on paper for those that only care how things look and not how they really are.

J2ozone

macrumors newbie
Apr 24, 2012
I would notice

Apple generally only makes improvements that actually improve their devices. Increasing the resolution from "retina" will not be noticeable to anyone.
I can clearly see the pixel structure of the iPhone 5 from 11 inches, yes I have very good eyesight and fall into quite a small group but If apple want to be the best, then they need to be the best to everyone.

stylinexpat

macrumors 68020
Mar 6, 2009
You're confused. That has nothing to do with the display and everything to do with the image resolution.

I have the first edition iPad and an iPad 3. I had a 12 Megapixel photo that I viewed on both devices. One can see more details on the iPad 3 especially when zooming in compared to viewing the same picture on the older iPad 1.

I compared zooming in on my new HTC One and an older version which did not have the HD screen resolution with the same picture and the newer HTC ONE with the HD screen resolution seemed to show more detail and clarity when viewing and zooming in on High Resolution pictures. Otherwise it is hard to tell the difference for basic stuff.

My $.02...

xcodeaddict

macrumors 6502a
Mar 2, 2013
Apple are going to do what they are going to do, regardless of rumours, speculation and whether or not you like it or you don't like it. If it succeeds it succeeds, and if not, it doesn't, and life carries on. If you like it, great - if you don't like it, there'll be tens of millions of other people who _will_.

Don't over-analyse things too much - life is not long enough to waste time on "what if". The new iPhone will be what it is, and no amount of disliking that will change the hardware that it will be.

If you don't like iPhone, current or future, it's a good job they're not necessary for life support (you'd think otherwise, sometimes!)
:)

keepaheadback

macrumors newbie
May 30, 2013

Apple are going to do what they are going to do, regardless of rumours, speculation and whether or not you like it or you don't like it. If it succeeds it succeeds, and if not, it doesn't, and life carries on. If you like it, great - if you don't like it, there'll be tens of millions of other people who _will_.

Don't over-analyse things too much - life is not long enough to waste time on "what if". The new iPhone will be what it is, and no amount of disliking that will change the hardware that it will be.

If you don't like iPhone, current or future, it's a good job they're not necessary for life support (you'd think otherwise, sometimes!)

xcodeaddict

macrumors 6502a
Mar 2, 2013

Why did you copy/paste my post? Lol :D

Tom the MacUser

macrumors member
Mar 26, 2013
The rumors are starting to make sense now. iPhone 5S's display will support 3D. That's the only reasonable explanation - one set of pixels for the left eye, one set of pixels for the right eye.

MarkCollette

macrumors 68000
Mar 6, 2003
Toronto, Canada
True, but JPEG artifacts aren't jagged pixels. I have this game and the 'jaggies' are very prominent when playing on a retina screen, the screenshot I posted reflects it accurately.

Yes, when straight lines that are not perfectly horizontal or vertical, with stark colour changes happen, JPEG adds jaggies. That format is only good for gradual colour changes as seen in nature, and not text, or line art, or the kinds of lines in that image. The reason is because JPEG compresses in rectangular blocks of pixels, using averaging of the colours in the block, which does not work properly with hard edges. It produces a sort of poor anti-aliasing effect, that is jagged instead of smooth because the block size is larger than with actual anti-aliasing.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.