Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bmac4

macrumors 601
Feb 14, 2013
Atlanta Ga
I got the black one because I thought it looked the best with the white iPhone. The thing people have to remember though. If you are going with something other than black. You are going to see very fast change is color, but that should be expected. Your phone is something you pull out all the time throughout the day. It gets touched, and used more than any other leather you have. If you did the same thing with a leather wallet, or purse you would see that same wear. I think it adds character.

carjakester

macrumors 68020
Oct 21, 2013
Midwest
i have the black one and put leather conditioner on it once a week. it still looks brand new besides a bit of wear on the edges of the case.

gaanee

macrumors 65816
Dec 8, 2011
No problem but I'm in UK and got the Dasco Protector from Amazon.co.uk. This is the one I used.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Dasco-Protector-Protects-surfaces-penetration/dp/B001NXWSKI

I do think any leather protector would work just as well though.

Thanks for the info. How does it feel while holding, does it feel like there is some coating (sticky/smooth/slippery) or as if nothing applied at all?
Would like to know before getting it. I like its original feel and take good care, but I have noticed its picking up dirt and slowly feeling sticky.

Anya B

macrumors 6502
Jul 20, 2013
Thanks for the info. How does it feel while holding, does it feel like there is some coating (sticky/smooth/slippery) or as if nothing applied at all?
Would like to know before getting it. I like its original feel and take good care, but I have noticed its picking up dirt and slowly feeling sticky.

My red case (treated) and black case (untreated) feel exactly the same. My brown one however (untreated and ageing gracefully) is starting to feel sticky as you described.

iamMacPerson

macrumors 68040
Jun 12, 2011
AZ/10.0.1.1
I bought the black one originally but I want to get all 6 colors. I haven't used my new blue one, but if I ever do I will be sure to protect it first.

The black one is holding up well after a few months of usage. I was debating about black vs red vs yellow when I bought it, but I'm glad I got the black one. The contrast with the black case and white iPhone is amazing too.

radiologyman

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2011
I didn't think about giving these cases a chance until recently.

Boy... am I sorry I waited. These are the best form-fitting cases for the iPhone out there.

I have the black and LOVE IT!!!

Apple I tell you just know how to build quality ish!!!

Got black because it does not get dirty. I also wish I bought it earlier. It's the best iPhone case I had, and real leather feel is priceless. I carry it in my pocket routinely, still looks new

Last edited:

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
I have the green one. Dropped it once while running on gravel and it got ragged on the edges and a little on back. Kept the phone completely safe though. Was bummed at first, but now I think it looks great. They did use some light colors, which is sort of shocking considering that Apple folks usually like their stuff pristine. I honestly like the look. Yes, it's normal. I guess the only advice I have is to deal with it or get a different one.

Max(IT)

Suspended
Dec 8, 2009
Italy
I ordered an iPhone 5s leather case from Apple, and after a week of use the case is horrible, it has a darker tones of blue on the edges and it feels like I had it for months. Is that normal?

I didn't do anything other than carry it in my front pocket for a few days.

It's normal and it is written on the back of the package. Since the iPhone 5s case is made from natural aniline leather, Apple cautions that “Its appearance will change as you use it.”
And I like it more now

Max(IT)

Suspended
Dec 8, 2009
Italy
Just curious (since a few of you own these)

Are they actual leather - or faux leather (like 99% of the "Leather" item out there)? Almost looks faux in the pics...

It's leather

----------

It's the same for any color. Some just are less visible, it's not a matter of time.
I really like the look of it ...

41756d1383787303t-official-leather-iphone-5-s-case-who-likes-imageuploadedbytapatalk1383787300.506573.jpg

pyty6usu.jpg

Gsmaniac

macrumors regular
Apr 3, 2014
You can't tell me this is normal.

Attachments

• Bkr0CFPCcAAXXOn.jpg
    Bkr0CFPCcAAXXOn.jpg
    22.5 KB · Views: 298

Infinitewisdom

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2012
That looks terrible. Is that just daily wear and tear?

In my experience, yes. All the non-black ones look like crap after a bit of use. Apple knew this which is why they put that vague cautionary language on the box so they can say "i told you so". the black case is the only one that truly stands up over time.

rablat

macrumors 6502a
Oct 8, 2007
Classified NSA intel
In my experience, yes. All the non-black ones look like crap after a bit of use. Apple knew this which is why they put that vague cautionary language on the box so they can say "i told you so". the black case is the only one that truly stands up over time.

The black one has the same amount of wear as the others, you just don't see it like the lighter ones.

jbachandouris

macrumors 603
Aug 18, 2009
Upstate NY
The black one has the same amount of wear as the others, you just don't see it like the lighter ones.

And to top it off, it doesn't polish very well either. I've tried black shoe cream polish and once you buff it, you can see that the 'leather' is not allowing it to soak in. Very disappointing.

gaanee

macrumors 65816
Dec 8, 2011
I am using beige case and even after careful handling it's showing spots. I'll just use it now without any leather protector.. and may be it will add some personal character to it. Considering Apple's attention to details, they should have put a coating to start with unless it was intentional.
First I got a case to protect the iphone and now puting additional coating to protect the case doesn't make much sense. May be if I get another one, I'll try that.

koerk

macrumors regular
Dec 14, 2013
IMO every case looks bad except for the red and black one. I own a red one and like how it darkens. The lighter colors do look crappy indeed

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.