Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

madara889

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 12, 2015
Just downloaded 9.3 public beta 3 on my iPhone 5s ... Watch my video

Last edited:

XTheLancerX

macrumors 68000
Aug 20, 2014
NY, USA
Same experience on my iPad mini 2 as well, probably better than 8.4.1 at this point aside from the app switcher... I know for sure spotlight is better than iOS 8, as well as control center over the lock screen, open folder, keyboard, (only smooth over portrait keyboard, landscape is same as before..) etc.

App switcher still has room for improvement but it has come a LONG way. I remember it being 10FPS at all times. Now it is usually 60FPS, with the occasional 30 or so FPS animation. Coming out of the app switcher is the problem animation, or like going *into* something from the app switcher in other words. Switching apps is usually fine, but going to the home screen from the app switcher is still kinda janky. Was perfect most all of the time on beta 1 though, so it likely will be ironed out at some point.

Keyboard comes up smoother and quicker than before, tapping on apps has improved similarly. Huge thumbs up on beta 3. iPhone 6 feels snappier as well, and iPhone 5 has improved dramatically, now has mostly perfect animations just like 9.2.1, even better than back then in fact. iPod 5 (same as 4S) has improved as well, although not sure how much exactly since I barely use it. Spotlight is much better than before, like on beta 1. Beta 2 was absolutely horrific for spotlight and control center/airdrop button. Not *too* bad now.

Merkie

macrumors 68020
Oct 23, 2008
Another worthless video at 30 fps.

Why cannot people understand that minimum 60 fps video (which is easily possible on most smartphones) is needed to show smoothness.

I can post 10 fps video and claim it to be smooth. I hope you get the point!
True, but 9.3 beta 3 really is a lot better. I don't need a 60fps video to be convinced.

Reactions: JerTheGeek

magicMac

macrumors 6502a
Apr 13, 2010
UK
Another worthless video at 30 fps.

Why cannot people understand that minimum 60 fps video (which is easily possible on most smartphones) is needed to show smoothness.

I can post 10 fps video and claim it to be smooth. I hope you get the point!

It might be of interest to you that an overwhelming majority of movies are shot at 24fps.

XTheLancerX

macrumors 68000
Aug 20, 2014
NY, USA
It might be of interest to you that an overwhelming majority of movies are shot at 24fps.
Stop.. This is a smartphone we are using, smooth animations give a better sense of space and interactivity, it *feels* nice to get smooth and quick feedback. That's why they operate at 60fps.

Movies operate at 24fps to give a cinematic effect, and it looks better for that purpose. There is no need for high speed equipment and larger file sizes here. Your argument doesn't make any sense.

The video is worthless because in person, 60FPS dropping down to 30FPS tends to look real nasty and weird. In a 30FPS video you wouldn't see any issue at all. In 60FPS it would be (for many) clear as day.

Reactions: iOSUser7

magicMac

macrumors 6502a
Apr 13, 2010
UK
Yes, but those movies are not trying to prove that iOS 9.3B3 runs perfectly smooth. You can't show the difference between 30fps and 60fps in a 30fps video.
Of course not, but the point is that most people can't see stutter and lag on a 24fps film so I don't see why it matters that the animations are 60fps. I am perfectly happy with 30fps animations.

bcodemz

macrumors member
May 6, 2014
Of course not, but the point is that most people can't see stutter and lag on a 24fps film so I don't see why it matters that the animations are 60fps. I am perfectly happy with 30fps animations.

Change your monitor's refresh rate to 30fps right now, and I guarantee you'll never have the "I'm happy with 30fps animations" ever again.

Reactions: trifid and Neblinio

Merkie

macrumors 68020
Oct 23, 2008
That's because the frames of a movie "blend" into each other. If you pause a movie, you're likely not to end up with a perfectly still capture. It will usually contain all kinds of motion blur. That's not the case with iOS animations.

Also, stutters are usually framedrops: a steady framerate suddenly drops to a lower framerate. That is very noticeable. The sudden difference in framerate is the annoying factor, not the lower framerate per se.

Also, take a look at this link: https://boallen.com/fps-compare-html5.html

Or this link:

If you have any further questions, let me know.

Reactions: XTheLancerX

magicMac

macrumors 6502a
Apr 13, 2010
UK
That's because the frames of a movie "blend" into each other. If you pause a movie, you're likely not to end up with a perfectly still capture. It will usually contain all kinds of motion blur. That's not the case with iOS animations.

Also, stutters are usually framedrops: a steady framerate suddenly drops to a lower framerate. That is very noticeable. The sudden difference in framerate is the annoying factor, not the lower framerate per se.

Also, take a look at this link: https://boallen.com/fps-compare-html5.html

Or this link:

If you have any further questions, let me know.

I record 60 fps on my iPhone 6s but that's because it helps with the lack of OIS on the 4.7" model by making the video appear smoother as the camera shakes.

However, if you scroll up on the control centre or down for the notification centre, I can't see any reason 60fps would appear better than 30fps, and it would be impossible to perceive the difference because no blending of juddery frames is necessary.

It's possible to worry about trivial things too much sometimes...

XTheLancerX

macrumors 68000
Aug 20, 2014
NY, USA
I record 60 fps on my iPhone 6s but that's because it helps with the lack of OIS on the 4.7" model by making the video appear smoother as the camera shakes.

However, if you scroll up on the control centre or down for the notification centre, I can't see any reason 60fps would appear better than 30fps, and it would be impossible to perceive the difference because no blending of juddery frames is necessary.
If people are complaining, it obviously isn't impossible to notice. It's rather the opposite for me, impossible to not notice. Extremely annoying. And why would blending of frames not be necessary if it looks jaggy and jumpy and stuttery? (Well, for some people it doesn't look stuttery but that doesn't change the fact that it still is..) Obviously you don't blend frames and add motion blur to system animations, that would be silly, but for cinematic purposes it would be necessary if the film producers wanted it to look non-jumpy and weird. Some eyes are just less sensitive than others, let's just leave it at that and please stop this, I don't know why this is even an argument.

Reactions: Merkie

Jayson A

macrumors 68030
Sep 16, 2014
Same experience on my iPad mini 2 as well, probably better than 8.4.1 at this point aside from the app switcher... I know for sure spotlight is better than iOS 8, as well as control center over the lock screen, open folder, keyboard, (only smooth over portrait keyboard, landscape is same as before..) etc.

App switcher still has room for improvement but it has come a LONG way. I remember it being 10FPS at all times. Now it is usually 60FPS, with the occasional 30 or so FPS animation. Coming out of the app switcher is the problem animation, or like going *into* something from the app switcher in other words. Switching apps is usually fine, but going to the home screen from the app switcher is still kinda janky. Was perfect most all of the time on beta 1 though, so it likely will be ironed out at some point.

Keyboard comes up smoother and quicker than before, tapping on apps has improved similarly. Huge thumbs up on beta 3. iPhone 6 feels snappier as well, and iPhone 5 has improved dramatically, now has mostly perfect animations just like 9.2.1, even better than back then in fact. iPod 5 (same as 4S) has improved as well, although not sure how much exactly since I barely use it. Spotlight is much better than before, like on beta 1. Beta 2 was absolutely horrific for spotlight and control center/airdrop button. Not *too* bad now.

How's game performance? ZigZag still stutters on my iPhone 6 when it used to be perfect.

XTheLancerX

macrumors 68000
Aug 20, 2014
NY, USA
How's game performance? ZigZag still stutters on my iPhone 6 when it used to be perfect.
I'm not sure I haven't noticed games choking up too badly on 9.3 compared to 9.2, but it must be an issue since I've hear several people complain about it. I tried zigzag like you said and it has occasional hiccups but very small. However any incoming notification would make it unplayable, often would cause me to lose. I never played zigzag much before this so I don't know if it's any different.

Merkie

macrumors 68020
Oct 23, 2008

It's possible to worry about trivial things too much sometimes...
Well, others apparently do notice. Some people are more sensitive to these kind of things than others. Back in the day a lot of people would have their CRT monitor use a low refresh rate (50Hz), which was always immediately noticeable to me, while a lot of people didn't see the difference between 50Hz and 60Hz.

I don't think it's your place to judge whether complaints are valid. A lot of people complain about these issues, so maybe it's you and not them? Just a thought.

Reactions: XTheLancerX

magicMac

macrumors 6502a
Apr 13, 2010
UK
Well, others apparently do notice. Some people are more sensitive to these kind of things than others. Back in the day a lot of people would have their CRT monitor use a low refresh rate (50Hz), which was always immediately noticeable to me, while a lot of people didn't see the difference between 50Hz and 60Hz.

I don't think it's your place to judge whether complaints are valid. A lot of people complain about these issues, so maybe it's you and not them? Just a thought.

I was actually just pointing out that the vast majority of films are 24 fps and nearly no one complains about that.

anon.guy

macrumors regular
Feb 9, 2016
You can all try my video, it s on 60 fps but for some reason youtube makes it look a tad laggy. I have the raw file on desktop and it is way better than the one from youtube:

iOSUser7

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2014
You can all try my video, it s on 60 fps but for some reason youtube makes it look a tad laggy. I have the raw file on desktop and it is way better than the one from youtube:
Thanks for the video, I can definitely see a big improvement here. I had a 5s before and it was lagging so badly on 9.0 to 9.0.2, then I switched to my iPhone 6s which is still running iOS 9.0 but I think I will upgrade to 9.3 when it comes out because it seems like a very solid upgrade (and even more coming from 9.0 I guess lol).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.